Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mary Poppins was bisexual

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:24 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just watched the trailed for Disney's new film about the making of its classic hit, "Mary Poppins".

There have been reviews which point out the Walt wasn't the way he's portrayed in the film.

But I have not seen anything about the other major character, the author of the books the film was based upon, P. L. Travers.

So I looked up her life.    

Travers greatly admired and emulated J. M. Barrie, the author of the 1911 novel Peter Pan, which bears many structural resemblances to the Mary Poppins series. Indeed, Travers' first publisher was Peter Llewelyn Davies, Barrie's adopted son and widely regarded as the model for Peter Pan.

In 1925 while in Ireland, Travers met the poet George William Russell (who wrote under the name "Æ") who, as editor of The Irish Statesman, accepted some of her poems for publication. Through Russell, Travers met W. B. Yeats, Oliver St. John Gogarty, and other Irish poets who fostered her interest in and knowledge of world mythology. She had studied the Gurdjieff System under Jane Heap and in March 1936, with the help of Jessie Orage, she met the mystic George Gurdjieff, who would have a great effect on her, as well as on several other literary figures.  

At the invitation of her friend, Commissioner of Indian Affairs John Collier, Travers spent two summers living among the Navajo, Hopi and Pueblo peoples studying their mythology and folklore.  After the war, she became Writer-in-Residence at Radcliffe Hall, Harvard University and Smith Hall. She returned to England, making only one brief visit to Sydney in 1960 while on her way to Japan to study Zen mysticism.

Although she never married, she had romantic relationships with both men and women. Her biographer Valerie Lawson writes that she probably had a sexual relationship with Madge Burnand, and certainly one with Jessie Orage.

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM
That's neat she spent time with American Indians. I always wonder how the rest of the world sees that.
susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 6:16 AM
2 moms liked this

PL Travers WROTE Mary Poppins. She WASN'T Mary Poppins. There is a difference.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Shouting is poor netiquette. You can make your point just as well with a normal speaking voice.

Seems a nerve has been hit. Obviously the author was bisexual, not the character. Good reading comprehension skills thus far, lol. Have you ever read the unabridged Peter Pan? There are fairy orgies in it. I can only imagine the nerves those would hit!

Quoting susannah2000:

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Quoting Bookwormy:

Shouting is poor netiquette. You can make your point just as well with a normal speaking voice.

Seems a nerve has been hit. Obviously the author was bisexual, not the character. Good reading comprehension skills thus far, lol. Have you ever read the unabridged Peter Pan? There are fairy orgies in it. I can only imagine the nerves those would hit!

Quoting susannah2000:

So emphasizing two words in a post is shouting? Okaaay. Obviously YOU'VE got it going on mentally, all right.   My comprehension skills are just fine. The title refers to the character, saying she is bisexual. It's the OPs writing skills that need work, NOT my comprehension skills. Go blather on about fairies and orgies to someone who cares, SWEETIE.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Barrie was a total creep.  

It's been a long time since I read Mary Poppins.  Thanks for the mini bio!  Do you plan to see the movie?  

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Like i said, darling, your nerve has been hit & you are defensive. Poor thing, & at the holiday season too! And really, you should save your voice for real issues of import if you are going to shout online.

LOL, aren't you a fun one with whom to play! ROFLMJQTO

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting susannah2000:

So emphasizing two words in a post is shouting? Okaaay. Obviously YOU'VE got it going on mentally, all right.   My comprehension skills are just fine. The title refers to the character, saying she is bisexual. It's the OPs writing skills that need work, NOT my comprehension skills. Go blather on about fairies and orgies to someone who cares, SWEETIE.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Creep? How?

Quoting momtoscott:

It's been a long time since I read Mary Poppins.  Thanks for the mini bio!  Do you plan to see the movie?  

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM

He was (at least) a borderline pedophile, according to a couple of biographies of him that I've read, including and especially toward the boy who was the model for Peter Pan.  There are also some passages in his books about young boys that are downright erotic.  He befriended the Peter Pan boy's family (which had several brothers) and spent a lot of time playing at pretend with the boys, having them over to his house for sleepovers, etc.     

Doesn't diminish the appeal of Peter Pan, which I think is a great children's classic, but as to Barry himself, ick.  

Quoting Bookwormy:

Creep? How?

Quoting momtoscott:

Kristanna
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Orgy when Peter Pan was wrote didn't mean anything sexual...just saying :)

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting susannah2000:

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Ha, the first thing I thought of when I read the title was that  they are getting so desperate that they are now outing imaginary characters.

Quoting susannah2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN