Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fast and Furious Actor dies in car crash....

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 13 Replies

Did y'all see this?

'Fast and Furious' star Paul Walker dies in car crash

Actor Paul Walker, 40, and another person are killed in a single car accident in Valencia.

• Email

Paul Walker of the "Fast and the Furious" franchise is dead at 40.
CAPTIONS  
Paul Walker
Paul Walker of the "Fast and the Furious" franchise is dead at 40. (Ralph Orlowski / Getty Images)
1/20
By Carla Rivera

November 30, 2013, 9:11 p.m.

Actor Paul Walker, who gained fame as an undercover detective in the hugely successful "The Fast and the Furious" franchise, was killed Saturday in a car accident in Valencia, his representatives confirmed.

The single vehicle crash occurred about 3:30 p.m. in the 28300 block of Rye Canyon Loop. Deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley sheriff's station and the Los Angeles County Fire Department arrived to find a vehicle engulfed in flames. Two people in the vehicle were pronounced dead at the scene.

Photos: Paul Walker, 1973-2013

The cause of the accident is under investigation, said sheriff's Deputy Kim Manatt.

According to a statement on his Twitter account, Walker, 40, was attending a charity event to aid Filipino victims of Typhoon Haiyan for his organization Reach Out Worldwide, formed in 2010 as a quick response first-aid organization.

"It is with a truly heavy heart that we must confirm that Paul Walker passed away today in a tragic car accident while attending a charity event for his organization Reach Out Worldwide," the statement read. "He was a passenger in a friend's car, in which both lost their lives. We appreciate your patience as we too are stunned and saddened beyond belief by this news."

Officials with the Los Angeles County coroner's office said they were still at the scene and could not confirm the names of either victim.

Representatives with Universal Pictures confirmed Walker's identity and released a statement:

"All of us at Universal are heartbroken. Paul was truly one of the most beloved and respected members of our studio family for 14 years, and this loss is devastating to us, to everyone involved with the 'Fast and Furious' films, and to countless fans. We send our deepest and most sincere condolences to Paul's family."

At the time of his death, Walker, who also starred in "Pleasantville" and "Varsity Blues," was working on the seventh film of the "Fast and Furious" franchise.

carla.rivera@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-paul-walker-20131201,0,967861.story#ixzz2mEA5hpfw

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Last night, I was really hoping this was a hoax.

Very sad for his family  and friends.

I read some where that there were rubber marks on the street, as if doing figure 8s.  

I hope they both died instantly.

Awful.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I really hope he wasn't driving wrecklessly, but I've read stories with the same comments in them about the figure eights. He also had just left a charity event for victims of Typhoon Haiyan, so I can't help but wonder if alcohol also was involved. It's sad all the way around. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I read some where that there were rubber marks on the street, as if doing figure 8s.  

Awful.

OliviaW.
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM
This article said he wasn't driving but tge passenger.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I really hope he wasn't driving wrecklessly, but I've read stories with the same comments in them about the figure eights. He also had just left a charity event for victims of Typhoon Haiyan, so I can't help but wonder if alcohol also was involved. It's sad all the way around. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Awful.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Awful.

His FB page, and other media outlets, have reported that he was the passenger in the vehicle.

Have you seen the photo of what is left of that car?

Horrific.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Awful.

His FB page, and other media outlets, have reported that he was the passenger in the vehicle.

Have you seen the photo of what is left of that car?

Horrific.

Yes, I saw it. Horrific would be the right word to describe it. 

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I didn't see the movie or know who he is but that is sad.   He was so young.

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM

When TMZ first broke the news I thought it was a hoax because no to long ago he was a victim of a death hoax but when I saw pictures of the crash it was still hard to believe. But then once everyone started to comfrim when they already did I was shocked because he was a good actor and I enjoyed his movies epsically the fast and the frious one. He was young and it's really sad.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Awful.

Quote:

"He was a passenger in a friend's car, in which both lost their lives. We appreciate your patience as we too are stunned and saddened beyond belief by this news."

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Incredibly sad. I don't normally cry over celebrity deaths, but I saw a post from his daughter on social media and it broke my heart.
free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Officials: Speed a factor in Walker's deadly crash

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Investigators sought to determine the cause of a fiery crash that killed "Fast & Furious" star Paul Walker while the actor's fans erected a makeshift memorial Sunday near where the Porsche he was riding in smashed into a light pole and tree.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said speed was a factor in Saturday's one-car crash, though it will take time to determine how fast the car was going.

Because Walker is so closely associated with the underground culture of street racing portrayed in the popular "Fast & Furious" film franchise, the fatal accident had an eerie quality — a tragic end for a Hollywood hero of speed.

The crash also killed Walker's friend and financial adviser Roger Rodas, according to Walker's publicist, Ame Van Iden. She said Walker was a passenger in the 2005 red Porsche Carrera GT when they drove away from a fundraiser in the community of Valencia, about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

Sheriff's deputies found the car engulfed in flames when they arrived at the site of the crash, near the fundraiser at Rodas' sport car dealership. Officials have not identified either person found in the car.

On Sunday, fans of Walker, 40, gathered to leave flowers, candles and memorabilia from the action movies.

Walker is "gone but he'll never be forgotten because there are so many people that look up to him," Joel Perez, 23, told the Los Angeles Times at the memorial.

Sheriff's deputy Peter Gomez said investigators are working to determine how fast the car was traveling and what caused it to go out of control, including whether the driver was distracted or something in the road prompted him to swerve.

After the Porsche crashed into a light pole and tree, it burst into flames. The downed light pole had a speed limit sign of 45 mph.

Walker rode the "Fast & Furious" franchise to fame, starring in all but one of the six action blockbusters, beginning with the first film in 2001. He had been on break from shooting the seventh installment; production began in September and while much of the film has been shot, it's incomplete.

Universal Pictures has not said what it plans to do with "Fast & Furious 7," which currently is slated for release in July.

Walker and Rodas had thrown a fundraiser benefiting victims of the recent typhoon in the Philippines. The event was held by Reach Out Worldwide, a charity Walker founded in 2010 to aid victims of natural disasters.

The fundraiser and toy drive took place at Rodas' custom car shop, Always Evolving, in an area of warehouses and office parks. Rodas, 38, and Walker co-owned an auto racing team. Rodas competed in 10 Pirelli World Challenge GTS races this year, the racing organization said in a statement.

Attendees rushed to the crash, which was nearby but out of sight, to try to put out the flames with fire extinguishers.

One attendee of the event, Jim Torp, said he heard the loud sound of a car's engine revving and then an explosion. Walker and Rodas planned a quick ride, Torp said.

"The last words Paul said to anybody were, 'Hey, I'll be back in five minutes. All right?' And that was it," according to Torp.

Torp said Rodas had a young son, whom he tried to stop from running to the accident scene, but could not catch him in time.

Walker left behind two completed films. He stars in the upcoming Hurricane Katrina drama "Hours," which Lionsgate's Pantelion Films is to release Dec. 13. He also stars in "Brick Mansions," a remake of the French action film "District B13" that Relativity plans to release next year.

Walker is survived by his 15-year-old daughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)