Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does someone saying "Merry Christmas!" offend you if you don't celebrate Christmas?

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 255 Replies
16 moms liked this

It's started again. I've seen posts and heard conversations from both sides again ranting about how upsetting it is for someone to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" or vice versa. I don't know about you, but I don't wear a flashing neon sign over my head that says I celebrate Christmas, so if someone says "Happy Holidays" to me, I just smile and say it back, and if I didn't celebrate Christmas and someone said "Merry Christmas" I'd smile and reply "Happy Holidays" or whatever holiday greeting seems appropriate. I think people spend too much time focusing on the words of the greeting rather than the fact that someone took a second to smile and acknowledge you in what's meant to be a pleasant greeting and not an insult.

What do you think? Does it offend you for someone to wish you a Merry Christmas if you don't celebrate it? If you do celebrate Christmas, does it bother you to hear "Happy Holidays" instead?

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM
7 moms liked this

I really don't care.  Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, either are nice greetings and do not offend me (though in fairness, I do celebrate Christmas).  People have assumed I'm Jewish at times and wished me Happy Hanukkah though, and again, it didn't offend. The sentiment is nice, and if it's a stranger, I don't bother to correct them.

Some are wound way too tight IMO.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:56 AM
8 moms liked this

Oh it begins...  popcorn

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM
11 moms liked this

When I worked retail (100 years ago!  LOL!)  I used to say Happy Holidays.  It wasn't company policy or anything, but I know that not everyone celebrates Christmas.  I figured it was polite to cover all bases.  It wasn't nearly the controversy back then that it is today. 

I worked with a woman who was Jehovah's Witness, and she wasn't able to give a greeting at all because of her beliefs.  She would smile and say "thank you" whenever someone would wish her a Merry Christmas or whatever. 

I think that people who get worked up over this are just looking to be offended.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Not offended.

Only time I say it is if I know the religion of the person or if it's actually 12/25. Otherwise, I always say "enjoy the holiday season"....followed with a smile.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

No.  I wish my Jewish friends Happy Hanukkah.  Even have been included to some celebrations, too.  

AlekD
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM
4 moms liked this

The other day I was buying advent candles (three purple and one pink) and the cashier must have recognized the colors because she said "Have a happy advent!" I was pretty excited about that.

To answer, no I don't get offended. Even when I wasn't Christian I didn't get offended. Who cares, really?

tanyainmizzou
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
5 moms liked this
Quoting AlekD:

The other day I was buying advent candles (three purple and one pink) and the cashier must have recognized the colors because she said "Have a happy advent!" I was pretty excited about that.

To answer, no I don't get offended. Even when I wasn't Christian I didn't get offended. Who cares, really?

internally angry people.

It is sad that people get upset at a nice greeting or goodbye
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't celebrate, but I also don't take offense. People can be excited if they want.
doomshroom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
6 moms liked this
not at all. i think people are just looking for things to be offended about nowadays.
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM
5 moms liked this

I don't care what anyone wishes me. It's the intent, not the words.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)