Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Here’s What Happens When A White Girl Travels To Texas With Two Black Men

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 223 Replies

Here’s What Happens When A White Girl Travels To Texas With Two Black Men (VIDEO)

AUTHOR DECEMBER 2, 2013 3:06 PM
Landry Thompson and black dance teachers arrested for no reason.

Landry Thompson, a 13-year-old dancer, traveled to Texas with her black teachers for a training session. What happened next should scare the heck out of us.

The following irresponsible police action reported by KHOU’s Rucks Russell should scare many.  A 13-year-old dancer, Landry Thompson, and her two dance teachers traveled from Oklahoma to Houston, TX. They had planned to train all weekend with some of the best in dance industry, but their plans went awry. Could the events that follow have something to do with Landry Thompson being white and her dance instructors being black?

Why did Houston police handcuff Landry Thompson and her dance teachers?

When Landry Thompson and her two dance teachers left the studio Saturday night, they were exhausted. They stopped at a gas station to find their hotel via GPS. Out of nowhere they were surrounded by the Houston police. The Houston police dragged them out of the car and handcuffed all three of them.

“I was kind of freaked out and surprised by it,” said Landry Thompson.

Landry’s dance teacher, Emmanuel Hurd, added:

“They just pulled us out of the car. Put our hands behind out backs like we were criminals. He asked me; who is the girl? She is my student. I said I have a notarized letter from her parents stating that I have full guardianship over her while we are here.”

Landry Thompson and her dance teachers said they pleaded with the police and told the police their story repeatedly. It did not matter to the Houston police.

Landry Thompson told reporters:

“They still put handcuffs on me. And it really scared me. And they put me in the back of the cop car. I was terrified.”

Landry Thompson was then taken to Child Protective Services. Her mother, Destiny Thompson exclaimed:

“I was horrified. She was with the people I wanted her to be with. She was with people who were safe who I knew would take care of he. Yet they had taken her away from those people and now she was in a shelter, wherever she was with people I didn’t know.”

CPS told Destiny Thompson that she would have to fly to Houston to get her daughter. After many phone calls with various officials, Landry Thompson was finally released back into the custody of her dance teachers.

“I would love an apology,” said Landry Thompson’s mother. “They owe her an apology.”

Soon after, the trio was back at the dance studio. They intend to leave Houston on Monday afternoon. The Houston Police Dept. (HPD) has not been responding to inquiries as to what happened.

Were Landry Thompson and dance instructors victims of stereotyping and racism?

Why did the Houston police believe they had to react as they did? Does it have anything to do with the young dancer being a young white girl and the two dance instructors being young black males? If the two instructors were white, would the police officers have reacted in the same manner? The dance instructors had a signed, notarized document that said they were the young girl’s guardians. What else could they have done to avoid being treated like common criminals?

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

How terrifying!

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Does this really shock people?

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

caustinb
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM
5 moms liked this
Not relevant, but I wouldn't let my 13 yr old daughter travel to another state with people that look that young, whether they are male, female, black, or white. Those guys look 20ish? Nope, sorry.
LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I would like to hear the police side of this before I form an opinion.
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM

SMH. The police should be held accountable. 

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM
6 moms liked this
Most dancesrs retire around thirty so they have to be young especially if they are competing

Quoting caustinb: Not relevant, but I wouldn't let my 13 yr old daughter travel to another state with people that look that young, whether they are male, female, black, or white. Those guys look 20ish? Nope, sorry.
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I think someone in the areA called. White girl with black guys looks odd to some. I have had my dds with me and dh's dad who is white and I have gotten some weird ass looks.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM
19 moms liked this

could it have anything to do with stereotyping.....Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....of course not.

this is the official story.

We were told there was a white woman in a car with two black men, the girl looked drugged (she was exhausted ya know) and a concerned citizen rang the police and gave a discription of the car.  The police gathered all forces (aka lots of backup) citing possible kidnapping.

to keep everyone from being safe they ensured that all parties (aka black people and kid who now appears to be in kahoots with with black people) were handcuffed and secured into the police vehicles.  Taken back to the safety and security of the police station (aka now surrounded by like minded peeps) they decide that its bad form to talk to a minor so they call in the CPS.

Thank god those two black men hadnt decided to buy some skittles and iced tea...it could of ended up badly :-(

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

That reminds me of when I was 14. Nothing that bad happened but I got plenty of odd stares and once a clerk threatened to call the police when we were out late at night. All because my two best friends were black men (18 and 19)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)