Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have you ever been involved in an accident on mass transportation?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 17 Replies

Derailed Train Was Reportedly Traveling at 'Shocking Speed' Before Deadly Crash

by Jenny Erikson

Federal safety officials said Monday that the commuter train that derailed over the weekend was found to be speeding at 82 mph as it entered a 30-mph curve. The derailment resulted in a deadly wreck when seven passenger cars jumped the track.

Four people died in the crash, and at least 67 more were injured -- some quite severely. One man suffered a spinal cord injury that may have paralyzed him from the neck down for the rest of his life.

More from The Stir: Holiday Train Derailment Ends in Death

The engineer, William Rockfeller, and the rest of the crew were still being questioned on Monday, but the National Transportation Safety Board reported the 82 mph figure from preliminary data taken from the locomotive and another car. It showed the throttle being cut and the brakes applied only seconds before the train came to a rest, which NTSB member Earl Weener said is “very late in the game.”

Although the train was speeding, the exact cause of the derailment is still unknown. As Weener said, “This is raw data off the event recorders, so it tells us what happened. It doesn’t tell us why it happened.”

Not only was the train going faster than it should have when it went into the curve, it was also well above the 70 mph posted limit for the section of track leading into it.

There was no indication of brake problems, and the tracks seemed to be in good condition.

Rockefeller says he applied the brakes, but the train didn’t slow down. There was no evidence that he was intoxicated at the scene of the accident.

This situation is so scary, and I hope they’re able to figure out what went wrong so that incidents like this can be prevented in the future.

Have you ever been involved in an accident on mass transportation?

by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Oh that's awful :-(

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM
No I haven't but it's always a fear I have getting on the commuter rail where I live to get to work
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM

No I have not

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thankfully, no.  The closest I come is a friend of my father's having been one of the pilots of the plane that hit the Pentagon. 

D-Town
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM
No. And I have taken the train from Detroit to Chicago quite frequently.

I wonder if he was on his phone. There was an incident a few years ago where a train derailed because the engineer was texting his girlfriend at he time of the crash.
aimesnyc
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Public Transit?  Fortunately not yet.  I live in NYC and take public transit every day.  However, I was on the Southwest flight that had the particularly hard landing this past summer at La Guardia.  Not sure if that counts. 

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

i have, but it was just a fender bender.

storkradio193
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

No, I haven't.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM
No, but I've been damn close multiple times. The drivers for the local public transportation agency drive like maniacs. I've reported over a dozen of them for various violations, yet nothing ever happens. Now, if I need to use a bus and I see certain drivers on the bus I need, I'll wait for the next one. Particularly considering they never strap my wheelchair down properly, I don't want to be riding with certain drivers.
katy_kay08
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

A minor one, and thankfully the worst injuries were a few bumps and bruises when the conductor hit the brakes in an attempt to avoid the car on the tracks.  The old man in the car was thankfully unhurt as well.  It certainly had the potential for being much much worse.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)