Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sex abuse survivors win as Catholic church in Minnesota forced to name pedo-priests

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 11 Replies

By David EdwardsTuesday, December 3, 2013 11:06 EST

Archbishop John Nienstedt (WCCO)

A county judge in Minnesota has given the Catholic Church just two weeks to turn over the names of at least 33 priests who are accused of abusing children.

After nearly 30 years of fighting for the names to be released, advocates finally convinced Ramsey County Judge John Van De North to order the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis to reveal the name of the alleged abusers, according to WCCO.

The church compiled a list of the clergy accused of child abuse in 2004, but a 2009 ruling had kept it private. Judge Van De North also ordered the church to reveal any priests who have been accused since 2004.

“The era of secrecy around the identities of those offenders is now drawing to and nearing an end,” attorney Jeff Anderson, who represents victims of abuse, explained. “Survivors who suffered alone in silence, thinking they are the only ones abused now know they may not be alone”

Last month, Archbishop John Nienstedt had promised to release some — but not all — of the names the advocates had been calling for.

In a statement on Monday, the Archdiocese said it was “grateful for the approval of Ramsey County court to release information relating to priests who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors in our archdiocese.”

The Archdiocese vowed to release the names by the end of the week.

David Edwards has served as an editor at Raw Story since 2006. His work can also be found at Crooks & Liars, and he's also been published at The BRAD BLOG. He came to Raw Story after working as a network manager for the state of North Carolina and as as engineer developing enterprise resource planning software. Follow him on Twitter at @DavidEdwards.
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marmie41
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Good, they should be made public.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never understood why they were allowed to be kept secret. 

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM

They fought this for nearly 30 years.

Well, talk about hard fought, and perseverance.

jllcali
by Jane on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Good
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:25 AM
1 mom liked this
That they refused to release the names and fought that long and hard to resist doing so is disgusting beyond my imagination. I find the cover-up as bad as the actual incidents. Revolting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM
1 mom liked this
It is disgusting that they have gotten away with this for this long. They still are not releasing all the names. Watch they will probably release only the names of dead people. Why don't they get in trouble for holding these names?
bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Why are these people not on the registry sex offender lists??

I so hate the Catholic Church for continuing to shield these idiots.  They harmed CHILD and forever changed their lives.  They are more important.  Screw that.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Quoting bellawomen:

Because they've been accused, but not yet found guilty in a court of law?

The article was a little unclear on this point, but I think that was the distinction.

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Ah. I read the part about "credibly accused" but thought it was the Catholic Church's word for further denial of the abuse instead of using the word "guilty."  lol

Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting bellawomen:

Because they've been accused, but not yet found guilty in a court of law?

The article was a little unclear on this point, but I think that was the distinction.

GirlWithANikon
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:51 AM

and here comes the names of people who cant be prosecuted for one reason or another dead,etc. a win for justice, rahhhhhh! the crowd goes wild! How easily the public is please enough to move on to the next disaster!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN