Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Knock Out....and again...and again...and again

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 96 Replies

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/oakland-man-says-hes-victim-knockout-game/ncC43/

Oakland man says he's victim of 'Knockout Game'

•  6 342 38 843
Anthony Lindsey
Anthony Lindsey

Paul Chambers and KTVU.com

OAKLAND, Calif. —

An Oakland man says he was brutally attack while riding aboard an AC transit bus Wednesday night.  Anthony Lindsey says the attack happened when the bus came to a stop on First Avenue near Lake Merritt.

Lindsey tells KTVU he believes he was a victim of the Knockout Game.  He says his attacker hit him for no reason and didn’t seem to be out to rob him.

"It was clear since he wanted nothing of mine. Nothing that I owned that's what it felt like. It felt like I was trying to be knocked out," Lindsey said.

Officials say the so-called game involves punching an unsuspected victim, so hard that they’ll be knocked out. The dangerous game has been in national headlines several times recently.  Some are calling it an epidemic while others say it’s not real.

In Lindsey's case he was hit at least seven times before his attacker ran away.

"There was like three (punches) I took to the jaw, and I can't believe my teeth are not loose," the victim tells KTVU.

Lindsey received two stitches to his lip, and still has several bruises on his face.

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the attack as an assault.

Lindsey had some harsh words for his attackers.

"It's not funny, and if you were trying to knock me out you didn't do it. If it is a game, and called the knock out game. I think I won," he said.    

Authorities with AC Transit did not return KTVU’s calls regarding the incident.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/12/this_injured_man_says_hes_amer.html

This injured man says he's America's latest 'knockout game' victim: Hear his story and decide if he's right

knockout-game-latest-victim.jpg
(screen shot)
John Luciew | jluciew@pennlive.com By John Luciew | jluciew@pennlive.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on December 05, 2013 at 7:56 AM, updated December 05, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Email

With his blackened eyes and broken nose, Tim Bessette may just be the country's latest victim of an urban crime wave known as the “knockout game.” Speaking from his hospital bed in Milwaukee this week, the 53-year-old says he’s lucky to be alive.

He remembers getting off the bus, walking down the street and encountering four youths. The next thing Bessette knew, he was sucker-punched in the nose. The world went black, and Bessette woke up on the pavement. And as he did, he heard the youths running away, joking and laughing.

“It was just like the lights went out,” he told Milwaukee media of his Dec. 2 attack. Bessette has given a full description of his assailants to Milwaukee police. No arrests have been made.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/12/02/exclusive-another-potential-knockout-attack-in-mayfair/#comments

Another Potential ‘Knockout’ Attack In Philadelphia

View Comments
Elizabeth_Hur

Reporting Elizabeth Hur

Check Out

By Elizabeth Hur

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A man was attacked out of nowhere, and Philadelphia police believe it’s the latest assault tied to the so-called “Knockout Game.”

A witness says the attackers videotaped the whole thing.

While that video has yet to surface, that witness is speaking out and talking only to Eyewitness News.

“It was really, really sad to see how hurt he was,” she says.

The eyewitness asked to remain anonymous, because she says she is now living in fear, knowing the suspects are still out there.

“Sad to live like that. I grew up here my whole life and I can’t wait to leave,” she says.

What she saw, according to police, was a 63-year-old man fall victim to what investigators from Northeast Detectives are calling a case of the “Knockout Game,” where criminals punch someone so hard they lose consciousness.

“It was just one punch and the old man, his body just fell, dead weight, just fell to the ground, then they probably kicked him two, three times. His left side of the face was swollen. His whole left cheek was out to here. It’s sad,” the witness says.

It happened Sunday afternoon in the 4400 block of Wellington Street, and as seen in YouTube videos from other cities, we are told the suspects in this case also taped the entire incident.

“Two went behind him and two stayed in the street and videotaped it with their phone, their camera phones.”

The four suspects then ran away when the witness screamed for help. Mayfair Town Watch is now alerting its community on Facebook of what some call not just cowardly, but a disturbing act that appears to have been premeditated.

“As they walked by my car, I heard the one say, ‘That’s an old man,’ and the other one said, ‘So what?’ So they were planning on it, plotting on it, they knew what they were doing.”

According to the eyewitness, the suspects did not try to rob the victim, leading police to believe this random attack was a case of the “Knockout Game.”

Descriptions of the suspects remain vague. The eyewitness says it all happened so fast, and she only recalls seeing four black males in their late teens to early 20s.

Police say they are investigating.

The victim’s family told Eyewitness News that the 63-year-old has been hospitalized with head and chest injuries since Sunday. He should be released some time on Tuesday.

http://www.examiner.com/article/arrests-made-four-knockout-game-attacks

by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Oh my.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

There's a level of indecency our society has reached when people purposely go after older people/easier victims.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
5 moms liked this
This was no game and should not be referred to as such. This was assault and could have been much worse, attempted murder, manslaughter, murder.

Everyone needs to stop calling it a game.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Did she call the police and go over and help the man after. I hope they are caught and prosecuted.
tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Just sick and extremely cowardly ..hard to believe the mentality of some young folks.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I agree. I think to call it a "game" lessens the seriousness of what is really going on. We don't call gang initiations a "game" so why call this a game? It's disgusting and makes me very worried, especially for elderly people. They are already on a criminal's radar but now they seem to be on the radar of bored, moral-less teens who don't take anything seriously. 

Quoting canadianmom1974: This was no game and should not be referred to as such. This was assault and could have been much worse, attempted murder, manslaughter, murder.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Quoting canadianmom1974: This was no game and should not be referred to as such. This was assault and could have been much worse, attempted murder, manslaughter, murder.

This is why I refuse to even use that g-word in the post title.

LectioDivina
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this

This used to be a game groups of white boys used to play against black men and women who were walking alone.

Except those people were beaten close to death, sometimes dying.

Be very careful how much power you give to hate.

It seems that if they can start the ball rolling, the rest of us can still stop it from going too far.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I would really like to see Obama address the nation about Knock Out. Let these criminals see that he disapproves of such hate crimes.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Bump.

What the hell is going on with these people?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN