Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Talk about victim blaming, wow...

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 169 Replies

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/new-york-democrat-blames-knock-out-game-on-jews-with-bags-of-money/

New York Democrat Blames Knock-Out Game on “Jews With Bags of Money”

1452527_10152442711872481_1170887136_n

Don’t worry. Laurie Cumbo isn’t saying that Jews with bags of money are responsible. She’s just “passing along” what she’s been hearing.

The blacks of Crown Heights have “grievances,” that most haunted of urban words.

Laurie Cumbo, 38, who is black and newly elected to the City Council representing part of Crown Heights, told us that when she was campaigning she heard many in the African-American and Caribbean community complaining that “Many of the buildings are owned by the Jewish community and [black tenants felt] there was a deliberate movement to push them out of their homes. What they would say to me is [the Jews are] doing this, not fixing that, making noise, they’re trying to push me out.’

“They tell me, ‘You better do something about this.’ They fear an ultimate takeover,” Cumbo continues. “Many [blacks living in private homes] talk about how proud they are, that no matter how many ‘bags of money’ were brought to their doors [by Jews] to buy their homes, they’re not selling.”

Young blacks might be picking up on the resentment. “It may be one of those things,” says Cumbo, “that when they come home their parents are talking, ‘those damn Jews,’ not that they’re talking to the kids but kids hear.”

And council members repeat. And imply that if the Jews stopped expanding, maybe this would go away.

“Many African American/Caribbean residents expressed a genuine concern that as the Jewish community continues to grow, they would be pushed out by their Jewish landlords or by Jewish families looking to purchase homes,” Cumbo wrote. ”I respect and appreciate the Jewish community’s family values and unity that has led to strong political, economic and cultural gains… While I personally regard this level of tenacity, I also recognize that for others, the accomplishments of the Jewish community triggers feelings of resentment, and a sense that Jewish success is not also their success.”

And also no one is paying attention to black people being shot… not by Jews with bags of money.

I am challenged with the reality that a 66 year old grandfather was shot and killed earlier this week while dropping off money in Fort Greene’s Walt Whitman Houses to help a family pay for Thanksgiving dinner. There was no public outcry or calls for swift legal action for this loss of life or for the dozens of others that were killed in the public housing developments this year in the District.

Probably because it can’t be blamed on the Jews. Anyway knocking out Jews is really bad. But it shouldn’t ruin the lives of those youths doing the knocking out.

Cumbo said violent behavior “is not to be tolerated… At the same time, we don’t want to ruin the lives of young people who are too young to understand. We want to do this in such a way that this kind of immature and dangerous behavior does not condemn individuals for the rest of their lives.” She called for black-Jewish dialogue. “Perhaps a basketball tournament, perhaps a youth panel discussion, where young people can talk about each other’s culture.”

After the breakfast, one Jewish participant, who asked not to be identified, was incredulous: “Basketball? A youth conversation? If women were being raped here, would we tell the women to dialogue with young men before we caught the rapists? If there was a Ku Klux Klan rally, we would tell young blacks to play sports with whites, until we knew which of the white kids was at such a rally?”

Multicultural Jewish-Black-KKK basketball… is there anything it can’t solve?

As an African American woman, this is challenging, because I recognize that it is Black children and not Jewish children that are playing the “Knock Out Game.” Why is this? In many ways governmental neglect, outside uncontrolled influences and failed leadership have led to the breakdown that so many young people of color are currently facing. I feel torn because I feel apart of the very system that has caused the destructive path that so many young people have decided to take while I am simultaneously demanding that they be arrested by that same system.

I am concerned that the media attention around the “Knock Out Game” is divisive and will erode the real progress that has been made over decades. The recent November 26th article published in The Jewish Week, paints African American teens in a dangerous light, and could cause the vast majority of innocent young people of color to be seen as criminals in the Crown Heights community as a result of the actions of a dangerous small minority. At the same time, there are some people in the African-American/Caribbean community who foster stereotypical views of Jewish people, which is why it is important that we create a more open dialogue.

Government neglect.

Right

by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM
3 moms liked this

I read her transcript on this yesterday.  She is a piece of work.  

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I read another piece where a Jewish fellow was saying how Jewish people are most affected by this "game"-I dunno..my understanding is ALL teens are participating-not just black teens. And gentrification is very real and very scary. 

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM
4 moms liked this

You have to understand the dynamics of that neighborhood.  Jews and blacks have lived peacefully there for a long time.  But the Jews procreate in much larger numbers than the blacks do, so it is natural that there will be a need for expansion of their neighborhood, which will push anyone else out -- in this case, blacks who also live there.  Especially because of the nature of this type of Jewish community, which is not an assimilated community into the larger community but an island of its own, it makes sense that as they grow there will be this pushing out of other people to make room for themselves.

The councilwoman needs to be finding ways to make community relations better and not worse.

masonmomma
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

How would talking about their culture help anything? Or are violent games part of their culture that others must understand? They continue to segregate themselves but expect everyone else to be inclusive.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I could care less what color or who has money! Hurting people is never okay! WTF?!

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

You have to understand the dynamics of that neighborhood.  Jews and blacks have lived peacefully there for a long time.  But the Jews procreate in much larger numbers than the blacks do, so it is natural that there will be a need for expansion of their neighborhood, which will push anyone else out -- in this case, blacks who also live there.  Especially because of the nature of this type of Jewish community, which is not an assimilated community into the larger community but an island of its own, it makes sense that as they grow there will be this pushing out of other people to make room for themselves.

The councilwoman needs to be finding ways to make community relations better and not worse.

Agreed.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

How do they know they're jews? lol

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
5 moms liked this

This is the part that makes me SO fascinated with race, folks. There is NO accountability from within the AA community...every.single.time it is explained in terms of "others" and facets external to the people themselves.

Why is it so hard for black people to look within and say "hey we might be doing something wrong with our kids?"

Nope, it's the government's fault.

But hey, at least this black leader lady had the courage to state a partial truth, and that is WHO is playing this "game".

"As an African American woman, this is challenging, because I recognize that it is Black children and not Jewish children that are playing the “Knock Out Game.” Why is this? In many ways governmental neglect, outside uncontrolled influences and failed leadership have led to the breakdown that so many young people of color are currently facing."

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I totally agree with this. There is no accountability. There is always an excuse.

This is the part that makes me SO fascinated with race, folks. There is NO accountability from within the AA community...every.single.time it is explained in terms of "others" and facets external to the people themselves.

Why is it so hard for black people to look within and say "hey we might be doing something wrong with our kids?"

But hey, at least this black leader lady had the courage to state a partial truth, and that is WHO is playing this "game".

"As an African American woman, this is challenging, because I recognize that it is Black children and not Jewish children that are playing the “Knock Out Game.” Why is this? In many ways governmental neglect, outside uncontrolled influences and failed leadership have led to the breakdown that so many young people of color are currently facing."

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

that is how it works

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

I totally agree with this. There is no accountability. There is always an excuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)