Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Principal Bans Hispanic Students From Speaking Spanish in School? Justified or no?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 285 Replies

Principal Bans Hispanic Students From Speaking Spanish in School

by Ericka Sóuter

spanishSo much for encouraging kids to be themselves. A Texas principal banned Hispanic students from speaking Spanish. The reason? Reportedly to "prevent disruptions." Never mind the fact that this is Texas and that 50 percent of the student body is Hispanic. But there is another reason this may be one of the most asinine rules a school administrator has ever instituted.

Principal Amy Lacey announced that no Spanish was to be spoken in the classrooms over the intercom. When one student protested that it was her first language, a teacher reportedly responded, "Well, you can get out!"

Some students are so fearful of getting caught, they won't utter a word in Spanish. Kids and parents say this is a blatant form of discrimination and it's hard to dispute that. It's also incredibly destructive. These days, kids are confronted with so many things that make them feel bad about themselves. Airbrushed images of models and actors make them feel they aren't pretty enough. The country's obsession of designer labels they can't afford makes them feel inadequate and poor. Now they are being told they cannot even embrace their culture. They are not allowed to be themselves. This is so wrong.

How is chattering in Spanish any more disruptive than gabbing away in English? Students shouldn't be doing that during class in any language. Perhaps she should have made a general rule against talking during class -- not make it language-specific.

Fortunately, parental and community reaction has been strong enough to compel the school board to put the principal on paid leave. And they have issued a statement that they don't support any such policy. Let's just hope the damage done to these kids is repairable.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO FROM KHOU

Do you think there is any justification for what this principal did?

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM
13 moms liked this

Good, youre in America, the more you speak the language, the more fluent you will become in it.

codfish
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM
6 moms liked this
I have a hard time believing the principal told them to get out.

I do agree though that the best way to learn a language is by immersion. We are not a Spanish speaking country.
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
6 moms liked this
That woman is nasty. How would Americans in Europe feel if their kids were told they can't speak English in school, for instance,in Spain ? That wouldn't happen though. We lived in Europe for 7 years. They aren't prejudiced or nasty. SHE is.
Well, this is Texas.....
That is so unfair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
5 moms liked this

Maybe the majority of teachers and staff don't understand what they're saying and are worried about what they could be saying.

I only jump to this possible conclusion because several years ago (okay, a few several years ago) I was tending bar at a restaurant. The kitchen staff was pretty much entirely Spanish speaking and they used to blatantly make death threats (I'm sure in jest because they would laugh like maniacs about it) to our bosses, make fun of them, threaten their families, etc....all within ear shot of our managers. They had no clue and just figured they were chattering in Spanish innocently. I have to admit it WAS pretty amusing to witness a manager telling a dishwasher to run thru steak knives and the dishwasher to respond back "okay then I'll fuck your mom" and said manager will say thanks and give him the tumbs up.

Anyway I digress in memory lane. But my point was to offer a different perspective. There could be more to it. There could be a justified reason why. Safety and vigilance is schools are so important these days.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM
5 moms liked this
Why can't these kids speak BOTH languages ?
I am appalled.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Out of line.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM
15 moms liked this

The irony is that most Americans can't speak or write their own language properly, anyway!

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Good, youre in America, the more you speak the language, the more fluent you will become in it.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
4 moms liked this
If she banned speaking Spanish in class only, that is one thing. It is very disruptive to have multiple languages being spoken at once. But if she is banning Spanish being spoken at all at school (between classes, at lunch etc) that is a bit much
Chrissy_Lynn
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Don't they have a spanish class? Most high schools have language classes.

I can kind of see not wanting kids to speak in other languages as you can't understand them and it can cause problems.

I'm not sure what grade i was in but I know it was middle school. Some kid was talking in another language and him and the kid infront of him did not get along. For whatever reason the one kid thought he was talking about him in another language and hit him. The boy said he was not talking about him and he was being paranoid. I don't remember what happened to them or if the one boy was actually talking about the other one
supercarp
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that hearing Spanish would be good for students whose first language is English and bad for Hispanic students who need to learn better English. Banning it is a really bad idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured