Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NYPD Accidentally Shoots Two Women, Then Blames The Crazy, Unarmed Black Guy

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM
  • 9 Replies
NYPD shoots at unarmed man, hits 2 women, charges man with assault

NYPD officers shoot at a mentally ill man weaving through traffic, hit two women instead, then arrest the unarmed man for the shooting. How does THAT work? Photo from Facebook via the NY Daily News.

Talk about your twisted views of justice and personal responsibility. NYPD officers shoot at a man and hit two bystanders and the unarmed man is charged with felony assault for the gunshot wounds two women received.

The NYPD did what?

The NYPD, while attempting to arrest Glenn Broadnax, 35, of Brooklyn, on misdemeanor charges of menacing, drug possession and resisting arrest, pulled their guns and opened fire. They missed their intended target and hit two innocent bystanders. Fortunately, for all involved, no one was killed in the incident, which occurred in September. John Gilliland, a bystander, caught the events on video with his cell phone.

Here’s a video with a news report and an interview with Gilliland.

Why did the NYPD shoot an unarmed man?

Originally, Broadnax created a disturbance by walking into traffic and purposely putting himself into the path of oncoming cars. Mr. Broadnax, an unarmed and emotionally disturbed man (who was talking to dead relatives and trying to kill himself) reached into his pants pocket for his wallet. The NYPD said the officers thought he was reaching for a gun. Broadnax was unarmed. But rather than actually identifying a weapon first the NYPD officers, fearing for their lives, pulled their service weapons and opened fire. Missing their intended target and wounding two people in a crowd that had assembled. Broadnax was eventually subdued by a sergeant on scene with the use of a taser. A less lethal weapon designed specifically for this type of incident. Especially in crowds.

How is the NYPD not responsible for the shooting?

In a preposterous vision of justice, Manhattan district attorneys have persuaded a grand jury to charge the unarmed Broadnax with assault for the gunshot wounds that two women sustained when NYPD officers shot them.

“The defendant is the one that created the situation that injured innocent bystanders,”said assistant district attorney, Shannon Lucey.

Specifically, as reported by the New York Times,

the nine-count indictment unsealed on Wednesday said Mr. Broadnax “recklessly engaged in conduct which created a grave risk of death.”

Additionally, the Times reported,

Mariann Wang, a lawyer representing Sahar Khoshakhlagh, one of the women who was wounded, said the district attorney should be pursuing charges against the two officers who fired their weapons in a crowd, not against Mr. Broadnax. “It’s an incredibly unfortunate use of prosecutorial discretion to be prosecuting a man who didn’t even injure my client,” she said. “It’s the police who injured my client.”

So, a man walks into traffic while calling out to loved ones he’s lost. Those hired to protect and serve and having available means of harmless restraint decide to disregard protocol and react with deadly force by shooting into a Manhattan crowd on 42nd St. Now the depressed, anxiety ridden man calling out for help is jailed on $100,000 bond and charged with assaulting two people he had no contact with (facing 25 years in prison). Meanwhile the NYPD officers who pulled the triggers are on paid leave. One more crazy off the streets and no insurance liability for the boys in blue. The insanity of reason is the reason for the insanity.

Where else could someone shoot innocent people, and then successfully blame someone else for “making” them do it? Only in America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/nyregion/unarmed-man-is-charged-with-wounding-bystanders-shot-by-police-near-times-square.html?_r=2&

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Well, you know. They were black. They were guilty of SOMETHING!

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I'm waiting for the obvious questions here about race, lol.

I hate our (lack of) mental health system. We criminalize mental illness.
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Yeah the charge of assaulting two people should be dropped . He didn't do it it was the police officers. The officers need to be investigated

I feel like dismantling the mental health hospitals was a bad idea . Yes there was abuse in them and that could have been addressed but this man because if his mental illness doesn't belong in jail but a facility.
briellesmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM
2 moms liked this
I fucking hate the NYPD. They are disgusting. Doesn't matter your race here. They are equal opportunity fucktards.
JaeMommy07
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:11 AM
My husband says the same thing.

Quoting briellesmomma: I fucking hate the NYPD. They are disgusting. Doesn't matter your race here. They are equal opportunity fucktards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briellesmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM
He's telling the truth.

Quoting JaeMommy07: My husband says the same thing.

Quoting briellesmomma: I fucking hate the NYPD. They are disgusting. Doesn't matter your race here. They are equal opportunity fucktards.
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Why is this guy in prison? He is mentally ill! Obviously wasn't in the right state of mind, and those police officers were in the wrong.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

The police, in this case, are morons.

VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM
If he wasn't acting the fool two people wouldn't gave been shot. He's equally responsible bet he and his family think he's totally innocent
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)