Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Texas Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police After Traffic Stop

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM
  • 17 Replies

Texas Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police After Traffic Stop

PHOTO: A University of the Incarnate Word student was shot by campus police in San Antonio, Dec. 9, 2013.
AUTO START: ON OFF

A 23-year-old honor student is dead after he was fatally shot by a campus police officer during a traffic stop in San Antonio, Texas, police said.

University of the Incarnate Word student Robert Cameron Redus was pulled over by Cpl. Christopher Carter at 2:30 a.m. Friday near the campus for driving "erratically at a high rate of speed," police said. Then, according to police, "a struggle ensued between the suspect driver and the police officer." The incident occurred in the parking lot of the Tree House Apartments, which is adjacent to the campus.

Redus was shot multiple times during the struggle and pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

"There was boom, boom, boom, boom, boom -- six shots," a witness, who asked to not be identified, told ABC News affiliate KSAT-TV.

Authorities say it's unclear why the struggle ensued and why Redus was shot multiple times. The University confirmed that Carter is on paid administrative leave while the investigation continues, which is standard procedure for police agencies in Texas. Carter "has an extensive law-enforcement background" and has been with the school for "several years," the university said in a statement.

ABC News was unable to reach Carter for comment. Police didn't provide additonal details of the incident.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the student and officer involved in this incident," said UIW President Dr. Lou Agnese in the release.

Redus' family said in a statement, "We are understandably devastated by the death of our dear son Cameron and we ask for your prayers as we deal with our tragic loss."

Redus' friends are still in shock and gathered at the campus Saturday to remember him at a vigil.

"He's not an aggressive person at all, so the story just doesn't really make sense to any of us," student Sarah Davis told KSAT.

Others remembered Redus as a kind, well-liked student within the university community.

"Cameron was the sweetest, kindest, gentlest person," Redus' friend Annie Jones said. "So compassionate."

The incident is being investigated by the Alamo Heights Police Department with the assistance of the Texas Rangers.

ETA

Valedictorian and honors student shot dead by college campus cop during routine traffic stop

• University student Cameron Redus, 23, was shot and killed by a campus police officer
  • According to police, the officer tried to pull Redus over for driving erratically and speeding
  • The two pulled into the parking lot of Redus' apartment block
  • Minutes later, Redus was shot 'four to six times' by Carter
  • Redus was a straight-A student set to graduate in May
  • Alamo Heights police and Texas Rangers are investigating the shooting
  • Carter is on administrative leave during the investigation

By ALEX GREIG

A Texas university student has been shot dead by a campus police officer during a routine traffic stop.

Robert Cameron Redus, 23, was killed when Corporal Chris Carter, 35, opened fire on him in the early hours of Friday morning a few blocks away from the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio where Redus studied, set to graduate in May.

Investigators say an altercation began when Carter tried to pull Redus over for speeding and driving erratically.  

College shooting: Cameron Redus was killed after a campus cop shot him multiple times during a traffic stop

College shooting: Cameron Redus was killed after a campus cop shot him multiple times during a traffic stop

Under investigation: The parking lot of Redus' apartment block where he died is cordoned off by police

Under investigation: The parking lot of Redus' apartment block where he died is cordoned off by police

Lieutenant Cindy Pruitt of the Alamo Heights Police Department told KSAT that the incident occurred about 2am in the parking lot of the Tree House apartments in the 100 block of Grandview Place off Broadway, where Redus was a resident.

Redus, known to friends by his second name Cameron, had spent the evening celebrating the end of semester with classmates.

According to Pruitt, Carter tried to pull him over on Broadway for driving erratically, despite the fact that Redus was off-campus.

It is not clear where Carter first tried to pull Redus over, but both vehicles drove north on Broadway until they pulled into the parking lot of the Treehouse Apartments.

Once there, both got out of their cars and some kind of struggle ensued. Pruitt told My San Antonio that Carter radioed for help shortly before Redus was shot. 

A witness who lives in the Treehouse Apartments described hearing 'five or six' gunshots, but no verbal warnings.

'I didn't hear him say anything like, "Get down on your hands and knees," you know? I didn't hear him say anything. He just started shooting,' the man told KSAT.

'He emptied the gun on him,' he said. 'Boom, boom, boom.'

Scuffle: Witnesses heard a short exchange between Redus and the officer before shots were fired

Scuffle: Witnesses heard a short exchange between Redus and the officer before shots were fired

Graduation in sight: Redus was set to graduate from the University of the Incarnate Word in May

Graduation in sight: Redus was set to graduate from the University of the Incarnate Word in May

Not aggressive: Cameron Redus' friends and family can't understand how someone as gentle and kind as him could have been shot by a police officer

Not aggressive: Cameron Redus' friends and family can't understand how someone as gentle and kind as him could have been shot by a police officer

Mohammad Haidarasl lives directly below Redus at the Treehouse Apartments.

He told My San Antonio that he was asleep on his sofa when he heard an exchange between Redus and Carter.

'I heard [a man] say, "Oh, you're gonna shoot me?" like sarcastic almost,' he said.

Less than a minute later, Haidarasl heard four to six gunshots. He only realized the man who had been shot was his upstairs neighbor, whom Haidrasl described as 'the nicest guy.'

Carter has been placed on administrative leave while officers investigate the shooting.

University officials describe him as having 'extensive law enforcement background.'

According to records viewed by My San Antonio, Carter has had nine jobs at eight different agencies over his eight-year law enforcement career.

Devastated: Friends Sarah Davis (left) and Annie Jones (right) speak of their disbelief at the shooting of Cameron Redus

Devastated: Friends Sarah Davis (left) and Annie Jones (right) speak of their disbelief at the shooting of Cameron Redus

Celebration turns to tragedy: Redus was out celebrating the end of semester before he died at the hands of a police officer

Celebration turns to tragedy: Redus was out celebrating the end of semester before he died at the hands of a police officer

He rarely stayed in any job for more than a year and the two years and seven months as a campus officer for UIW was the longest stint in his career.

Officers investigating the incident haven't attempted to contact Haidrasl about what he heard, Haidrasl told My San Antonio.

Back in Redus' hometown of Baytown, the promising student's mother, father, brothers and friends are struggling to understand their loss.

'We are understandably devastated by the death of our dear son Cameron and we ask for your prayers as we deal with our tragic loss. We trust that God is faithful and will see us through this most difficult time,' the victim's family said in a statement.

Redus old friends from high school were shocked to hear the news.

'He was so kind. He’s not an aggressive person at all,' friend Sara Davis told KHOU. 'The story doesn’t really make sense to any of us.'

'He was an honor student, dean’s list every semester, incredibly intelligent,' said Annie Jones. 'So, so, so smart. He was our co-valedictorian in high school.'

A vigil has been set for 7pm on Saturday at the University of the Incarnate Word grotto. 

According to ABC, Redus' family has hired an attorney.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519842/Valedictorian-honors-student-shot-dead-college-campus-cop-routine-traffic-stop.html#ixzz2mzQqJQ00 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Was he a cop or was he campus security? In some places they are different and if they are different here, I don't like rent a cops having guns.
SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Was the student on drugs? That could make a person go from kind and compassionate to resisting arrest. I need more facts.

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, we need to have more details.  This is local, I am going to see if I can find anything here.

Quoting SuzCahn:

Was the student on drugs? That could make a person go from kind and compassionate to resisting arrest. I need more facts.

numbr1wmn
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM

There needs to be more details.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
There were some eye witness accounts so I'm sure more will be coming out

Reportedly one witness heard the deceased say you're really going to shoot me? Followed by shots

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Texas college student shot dead by campus police officer

Robert Cameron Redus, 23, died early Friday morning after a struggle with a cop during a traffic stop near the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio.

Comments (104)
Print
SHARE THIS URL:
Robert Cameron Redus, shown here in Costa Rica in 2011, died early Friday morning after a shuffle at a traffic stop with a campus police officer.

CAMERON REDUS VIA FACEBOOK

Robert Cameron Redus, shown here in Costa Rica in 2011, died early Friday morning after an altercation of some kind at a traffic stop with a campus police officer.

A Texas college student was fatally shot following an incident with a University of the Incarnate Word police officer a few blocks from campus, the Alamo Heights Police Department said.

Robert Cameron Redus, 23, was pulled over for allegedly speeding and driving erratically early Friday, KTRK reported.

RELATED: GUNMAN KILLED NEAR NORTH CAROLINA COLLEGE AFTER PURSUIT ON CAMPUS

Cameron, as he was called, was described by friends as 'the sweetest, kindest, gentlest person.'

CAMERON REDUS VIA FACEBOOK

Cameron, as he was called, was described by friends as 'the sweetest, kindest, gentlest person.'

During the traffic stop near the university’s San Antonio campus, Redus and the officer, who has been identified as Cpl. Chris Carter, got into some kind of altercation, Alamo Heights police Lt. Cindy Pruitt said.

The officer radioed for help, and multiple shots were fired. Redus was pronounced dead on the scene.

RELATED: CA MAN CHARGED IN STREETCAR KILLING

Redus graduated from Baytown Christian Academy in Baytown, Texas.

KTRK

Redus graduated from Baytown Christian Academy in Baytown, Texas.

Redus, who graduated as co-valedictorian from Baytown Christian Academy, would have graduated from UIW in May.

"We are understandably devastated by the death of our dear son Cameron and we ask for your prayers as we deal with our tragic loss," his family said in a statement, according to MySanAntonio.com. "We trust that God is faithful and will see us through this most difficult time."

RELATED: EASTERN MICHIGAN FOOTBALL PLAYER FOUND SHOT TO DEATH

The incident and university cop’s actions are under investigation.

KTRK

The incident and university cop’s actions are under investigation.

A student vigil is scheduled for Saturday night at the Grotto on campus as the shocked communities continue to process Redus' sudden death.

"He's not an aggressive person at all, so the story just doesn't really make sense to any of us," Sarah Davis, one of Redus' friends, told KTRK.

An investigation is ongoing, and Carter has reportedly been put on paid administrative leave.

With New Wire Services

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/college-student-shot-dead-campus-police-officer-article-1.1540813#ixzz2mzQYLTFl

Mommabearbergh
trying to have a smooth morning
Yesterday at 9:54 AM
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM

six shots seems a bit excessive. Also if there are two officers there why no warning being heard. Is there more info because some things seem to be missing.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

There has got to be more to that story. Shooting him six times is ridiculous! I was watching Cops the other night (lol, don't ask) and a guy was resisting arrest and being aggressive and the cop tased him to get him to comply. I wish more officers did this first instead of shooting. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Shooting an unarmed man 6 times is just damn CRAZY!!

Wondering if there is a dashcam

Quoting LNLMommy:

There has got to be more to that story. Shooting him six times is ridiculous! I was watching Cops the other night (lol, don't ask) and a guy was resisting arrest and being aggressive and the cop tased him to get him to comply. I wish more officers did this first instead of shooting. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM

There has got to be more to this, but either way this is very sad and my thoughts go out to the victims family

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured