Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Winnies necklace?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 32 Replies
Does anyone know what a Winnie Mandela necklace is? I saw this posted on fb and was wondering wth?
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/59727

Gerbert007
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Thanks,I just read it and just no words.This thread will most likely be ignored you think?
Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Honestly I don't know. I don't know enough about the subject to begin with. I had seen several comments on my FB today about the necklace thing so when I saw your post I decided to google it and this was one article I came across. I've never been taught anything but positive about Mandela. However, with his death there has been a lot of back and forth about who he truly was. I don't know what's accurate and what is not. I should probably research it. 

Quoting Gerbert007: Thanks,I just read it and just no words.This thread will most likely be ignored you think?
Quoting DestinyHLewis:

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Necklacing is the practice of summary execution and torture carried out by forcing a rubber tire, filled with petrol, around a victim's chest and arms, and setting it on fire. The victim may take up to 20 minutes to die, suffering severe burns in the process.

In South Africa[edit]

The practice became a common method of lynching among black South Africans during disturbances in South Africa in the 1980s and '90s. The first recorded instance took place in Uitenhage on 23 March 1985 when black African National Congress (ANC) supporters killed a black councillor who was accused of being a white collaborator.[1]

Necklacing "sentences" were sometimes handed down against alleged criminals by "people's courts" established in black townships as a means of enforcing their own judicial system. Necklacing was also used by the black community to punish members of the black community who were perceived as collaborators with the apartheid government. These included black policemen, town councilors and others, as well as their relatives and associates. The practice was often carried out in the name of the ANC,[citation needed] although the ANC executive body condemned it.[2] In 1986 Winnie Mandela, then-wife of the imprisoned Nelson Mandela, made a statement that was widely seen as an implicit endorsement of necklacing,[3] which at the time caused the ANC to distance itself from her,[citation needed]although she later took on a number of official positions within the ANC.[4] The number of deaths per month in South Africa related to political unrest as a whole from 1992 through 1995 ranged from 54 to 605 and averaged 244.[5] These figures are inclusive of massacres as well as deaths not attributed to necklacing.

The first victim of necklacing, according to the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission, was a young girl, Maki Skosana, in July 1985.[6]

Moloko said her sister was burned to death with a tire around her neck while attending the funeral of one of the youths.

Her body had been scorched by fire and some broken pieces of glass had been inserted into her vagina, Moloko told the committee.

Moloko added that a big rock had been thrown on her face after she had been killed.[7]

Photojournalist Kevin Carter was the first to photograph a public execution by necklacing in South Africa in the mid-1980s. He later spoke of the images

I was appalled at what they were doing. I was appalled at what I was doing. But then people started talking about those pictures... then I felt that maybe my actions hadn't been at all bad. Being a witness to something this horrible wasn't necessarily such a bad thing to do.[8]

He went on to say:

After having seen so many necklacings on the news, it occurs to me that either many others were being performed (off camera as it were) and this was just the tip of the iceberg, or that the presence of the camera completed the last requirement, and acted as a catalyst in this terrible reaction. The strong message that was being sent, was only meaningful if it were carried by the media. It was not more about the warning (others) than about causing one person pain. The question that haunts me is 'would those people have been necklaced, if there was no media coverage?'

Author Lynda Schuster writes,

'Necklacing' represented the worst of the excesses committed in the name of the uprising. This was a particularly gruesome form of mob justice, reserved for those thought to be government collaborators, informers and black policemen. The executioners would force a car tire over the head and around the arms of the suspect, drench it in petrol, and set it alight. Immobilized, the victim burned to death.[9]

Archbishop Desmond Tutu once famously saved a near victim of necklacing when he rushed into a large gathered crowd and threw his arms around a man accused of being a policeinformant, who was about to be killed. Tutu's actions, which were caught on film,[citation needed] caused the crowd to release the man.

Necklacing returned to South Africa in 2008 when black South Africans turned against black immigrants from the rest of Africa. The influx of immigrants led to violence, looting, and murder in some of South Africa’s poorest areas; this violence included necklace lynching.[10] This raised concerns that the latent practice might return once more as a form of public protest in the wake of service delivery failures by the ruling African National Congress (ANC).[11]

Some commentators have noted that the practice of necklacing served to escalate the levels of violence during the township wars of the 1980s and early 1990s as security force members became brutalized and afraid that they might fall victim to the practice.[12]

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

From what I have read, Mandela had nothing whatsoever to do with necklacing. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Honestly I don't know. I don't know enough about the subject to begin with. I had seen several comments on my FB today about the necklace thing so when I saw your post I decided to google it and this was one article I came across. I've never been taught anything but positive about Mandela. However, with his death there has been a lot of back and forth about who he truly was. I don't know what's accurate and what is not. I should probably research it. 

Quoting Gerbert007: Thanks,I just read it and just no words.This thread will most likely be ignored you think?
Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Never said he did. She asked what the necklace thing was and I found her an article on it. 

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM

oh, i misread a bit! 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Never said he did. She asked what the necklace thing was and I found her an article on it. 

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

No worries. It happens. ;)

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

oh, i misread a bit! 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Gerbert007
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I don't know about that,he doesn't sound like a hero either http://www.conservativerefocus.com/blog5.php/2013/12/07/the-real-truth-nelson-mandela-was-a-hard-left-communist-and-biased-us-free-market-hater
Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

looks like a hero to me. the picture of the necklacing was misleading, as Mandela had nothing to do with that. You really should read more about him before judging him based on your politics. He really is an inspirational person! 

Quoting Gerbert007: I don't know about that,he doesn't sound like a hero either http://www.conservativerefocus.com/blog5.php/2013/12/07/the-real-truth-nelson-mandela-was-a-hard-left-communist-and-biased-us-free-market-hater
Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured