Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Protest Planned Against Last-Minute Bloomberg Push for Mandatory Flu Vaccines

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 57 Replies

Autism advocates are set to protest tomorrow against a quiet effort by Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s administration to require annual flu vaccinations for all New York City schoolchildren.

On Wednesday, with just three weeks to go until he leaves office, Mr. Bloomberg’s controversial Board of Health is set to vote on new rules that would force children as young as six months old to be immunized each year before December 31 if they attend licensed day care or pre-school programs.

“Young children have a high risk of developing severe complications from influenza. One-third of children under five in New York City do not receive an annual influenza vaccination, even though the vaccine safely and effectively protects them against influenza illness,” the Health Department said in a statement. “This mandate will help protect the health of young children, while reducing the spread of influenza in New York City.”

The Board is stocked with mayoral appointees and controversial initiatives–from smoking bans to regulations on soda cup sizes–have sailed through with little opposition, angering a small, but passionate group of advocates who claim the vaccinations are potentially dangerous.

“The Bloomberg administration is wildly exaggerating the benefit of the flu shot and we think they are wildly underestimating the risks involved with it,” said John Gilmore, the executive director of the Autism Action Network, speaking more broadly than the controversial claim that links vaccines to autism.

“There are risks associated with every medical procedure,” he said, citing allergic reactions, toxic mercury used as a preservative and questions as to whether the Board’s move is legal given state government jurisdictions. 

Mr. Gilmore’s organization is helping organize tomorrow’s protest. And though he doesn’t expect the Board’s vote to go his way, he hopes the rally will get Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio’s attention, potentially opening the door for a reversal once he takes office in January.

“This is basically to put the mayor-elect [on alert], make him aware that this is an issue that he’s going to have to deal with it. It’s not going to go away,” said Mr. Gilmore said, criticizing the way the Bloomberg administration has pushed the rules through. “He is kind of doing this in a stealth fashion. He just proposed this about 6 weeks ago. I don’t think there was any announcement.”

According to a Board of Health notice made public in September, influenza results in 20,000 hospitalizations and 30 to 150 deaths in children under 5 nation-wide each year.

Under the proposed rule, which had a public hearing in October, the vaccinations would be required “unless the vaccine may be detrimental to the child’s health, as certified by a physician licensed to practice medicine in this state, or the parent, parents, or guardian of a child hold genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.”

source

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not think that the decision to vaccinate against the flu should be taken away from the parents or the individual, but I do think that vaccinating their children is the right decision for most parents to make.  Also, vaccinating against the flu is an important public health initiative.  I've had many conversations with a public health nurse about this, and according to her, it has been shown that vaccinating the children against the flu is much more effective than vaccinating the sick and elderly.  I have vaccinated my children against the flu.  By vaccinating my children, not only am I protecting my children against the flu, I am protecting my mom, grandparents, and every other person who my kids come in contact with. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think the "state" should be making ANY medical decisions for children.  This should be left up to the parents.

I have mixed feelings about the flu vaccine.  I have not gotten the vaccine in several years.  It makes me sick.  The last time I got it I ended up at the dr's office with a fever of 102 and he gave me Tamiflu.  This is not typical for most people. 

My youngest does not get one either.  He had to take his one year shots twice..got both rounds within a 1 year period.  His developmental pediatrician suspects this caused some of his issues...back then Thermerisol was still in them.  We are very picky about how we vax now.

My older child and my husband get a shot each year.

Light.Shine
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

I think that is definitely the wrong course of action to take and I would be picketing if I lived there.  Not every child should be given this vaccine, especially those with compromised immune systems.  I am taking an immunology course right now and for some people this vaccine may cause mutations.  Also, there are some pretty nasty chemicals in it that I would not want put into my child's body!

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM
4 moms liked this

It is not the state's business.  It should be the decision of the parent.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I don't think the "state" should be making ANY medical decisions for children.  This should be left up to the parents.

I have mixed feelings about the flu vaccine.  I have not gotten the vaccine in several years.  It makes me sick.  The last time I got it I ended up at the dr's office with a fever of 102 and he gave me Tamiflu.  This is not typical for most people. 

My youngest does not get one either.  He had to take his one year shots twice..got both rounds within a 1 year period.  His developmental pediatrician suspects this caused some of his issues...back then Thermerisol was still in them.  We are very picky about how we vax now.

codfish
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I can understand it being mandatory for those working in the health care field.

However, this is something parents should decide, not the government.
coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
It's not the state that 's doing this, it's the city's requirement. And I agree with you.

Quoting candlegal:

It is not the state's business.  It should be the decision of the parent.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM
3 moms liked this

It should not be mandatory. in a few states the flu shots didn't even work and for some people they even make them sick. I hate the bs thing they say well oh it mimics the flu. The hell no it gives you the flu and you end up having to take time off. When you could have not gotten it and been perfectly healthy. It is something that should be left up to a parent. Not some politician who is trying to do good with the pharma lobbyist thats in his pocket.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish that we could carry personal responsibility all the way to the end- You do not want to get a flu shot and you're in a high risk category, fine. When you get sick and need treatment, no use of insurance coverage or sick time...and if you come to work sick and anyone else gets the same strain, same illness- you get to use your money and your sick time to cover the other people you infect and affect. 

Choices made should have real consequences, including monetary ones. Pair your money with your rugged individualism and personal choices.

In my hospital, you either get a flu shot, stay home unpaid for 6 mos or wear a mask for 6 mos- Guess what, in 5 years and 2 facilities I have witnessed 2 mask wearers-

supercarp
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Who advocates autism?

On a serious note, when I worked at the hospital, flu shots and meningitis vaccinations were required. I'm still alive and I never had a reaction to a shot. I did start getting false positive reactions to my TB test. All of my children had all of their vaccinations and I don't recall anything beyond a sore arm or a slight fever That is the experience of the vast majority. Risking your child's life to a terrible disease is not equal to the slight risk of an adverse vaccination reaction..

There is no intelligence or or other eligibility requirement to be a parent you only have to be fertile and have a sexual partner, not even necessarily willing), so parents are allowed to make stupid decisions on behalf of their children.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I pity all those kids whose parents have the intellect of gnats...or have mental illness...or work 100 hours a weeks...or have 20 kids...or let some other person, entity, deity or authority control their lives and decisions... including a cult leader or government official.

So much in life is heavily influenced by the chute from one exits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)