Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Westboro Baptists ‘booking flights’ for Johannesburg to protest Mandela’s funeral

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

Am I the only one hoping they get the surprise of their life when they realize not every country has the same protections for Freedom of Speech?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/07/westboro-baptists-booking-flights-for-johannesburg-to-protest-mandelas-funeral/

The Westboro Baptist Church has a long history of media-soliciting domestic and international hate protests, with pickets targeting the funerals of dead children at Sandy Hook, fallen soldiers and celebrities like Paul Walker drawing outsized attention.

Their next dive into the fray is a triple-gainer by their historical standards, though — a protest of Nelson Mandela’s funeral. In South Africa.

In a series of deliberately-provocative Twitter posts, the church says it is buying plane tickets to South Africa and is hoping to coordinate with South African police while they stage a protest at the funeral, citing Mandela’s divorce and remarriage as evidence of damnation.

The Westboro Baptist Church has gained international infamy for picketing the funerals of dead soldiers with offensive signs such as “God hates f*gs” and is widely considered to be a hate group. WBC founder Fred Phelps is — perhaps surprisingly — a veteran of the civil rights movement, but the group’s more offensive picket signs and statements may run afoul of South Africa’s limitations on free speech. The 1996 constitution contains more protection for free speech in law and practice than most countries in Africa, but “advocacy of hatred that is based on race, ethnicity, gender or religion, and that constitutes incitement to cause harm” is not protected.

And if the early Twitter reaction to the WBC announcement is any indication, incitement may already be happening.

@WBCsays surviving insulting Mandela in South Africa would be a miracle of such a scale that i'd start believing in @TheTweetOfGod

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM
5 moms liked this
I think they have no intention of going to South Africa, they're just looking for attention, a reaction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I don't think they have the nerve. I wish they would though.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
This. Their leader is a law expert who has always ensured they were within the law here in the U.S. He would not be an expert in South Africa and has no intention of doing his cause the disservice of being illegal in protesting.

Quoting canadianmom1974: I think they have no intention of going to South Africa, they're just looking for attention, a reaction.
candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be surprised if they can get tickets.   Wouldn't they be on a terrorist watch list?

AuntieL333
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM
5 moms liked this

It amazes me that people continue to refer to this group of haters as a church...they are not a church they are an organized hate group masquerading as baptists. I have no love for the baptist for the most part but I can't understand why they are allowed to continue calling themselves a church. Nothing they do reminds me of Jesus or makes me think of Him which I though was the point of being a preacher...you lead people to God not give them reasons to flee. They spew nothing but hate, even going as far as taking their freak show to the funerals of service members who died fighting so they could have the right to speak the vileness of their "religion". They do not even show a modicum of respect for the grieving family members of those they are picketing. They need to go away, far away so they don't contaminate those around them, especially children that may be born into that snake pit. Filling your child with hate for others should be seen as a form of child abuse and treated accordingly.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

How come they have so much money for travel?

Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Are they considered a terrorist group here?

Quoting candlegal:

I would be surprised if they can get tickets.   Wouldn't they be on a terrorist watch list?

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM
4 moms liked this

I hope they go and S Africa arrests them and holds them indefinitely.

Chelsey191
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I doubt they actually are going, I think they just want the attention. But I wish they would. SA is dangerous.
LTryon
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Wasn't his funeral at like 3am this morning?

I saw some local news updates on facebook that they were live streaming it at like 3am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)