Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Truth About Women's Complicated Relationship With Technology - How many would give up sex for a month for your smartphone??

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 60 Replies

The Truth About Women's Complicated Relationship With Technology

A poll released today by the Huffington Post and Real Simple finds that technology plays an essential -- though complicated -- role in women's lives.

Women are so reliant on their devices that 69 percent of those polled sleep with their smartphones in their bedrooms, 68 percent keep them close by during dinner, 76 percent look at them at least once an hour, and of those women, almost half peek every 15 minutes or more. (Given those numbers, perhaps it's not surprising that almost half say they would rather go a month without sex than a month without their phones.) And yet 80 percent of respondents are conflicted enough about social media that they have considered leaving Facebook, Twitter, or another platform at some point.

Alarmingly, the poll found that women are so tied to their phones that three out of four admit they have texted while driving.

Despite all of the evidence to the contrary, only 27 percent of respondents say they are addicted to smartphones and social media.

See more findings from the poll below:

Methodology: The 25-question poll, conducted online via Polldaddy by Real Simple and The Huffington Post from October 7 to 18, asked 3,583 women how smartphones and social media affect their lives. Most of the participants (75 percent) were over the age of 31, and about half (55 percent) have children.

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    Mrs.Sparkle
    by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Lmao
    I live for my cell phone but I managed just fine before I got it and I sure as heck am not going without sex just for a phone:/
    rotPferd
    by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I do have my phone on the bedside table at night but thats because my dd has a newborn.

Ms.KitKat
    by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Did I miss it? How do women and their cell phone use compare to that of men?

Although I admit I rely on my phone for many things, when i get home, I leave it on the counter and unless it rings or dings, it sits there into the next morning when I leave the hosue again.

There are even times when after a very long and stressful day, I will turn it off and stick in a drawer.

sweet-a-kins
    by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I do too because I use the alarm, its set 5 minutes before my real alarm! lol

Quoting rotPferd:

I do have my phone on the bedside table at night but thats because my dd has a newborn.

lga1965
    by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I usually keep my phone in my purse. I do make sure it is charged though in case I get an important call or text from one of my kids, usually about babysitting. And if I am waiting for anything, such as the other day when I was having the oil changed in my car, I surfed the Internet for something to do. I do like my phone though!  :)

IandLoveandYou
    by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Well it does make sense that none of them would admit/realize they are addicted to their smartphones. Thats with any kind of addiction..especially since so many people contemplate giving up on social media sites. I mean, how many people have reflected on their time spent on the internet/social media and thought about disconnecting? I'm sure most people.

I've considered going back to the old flip phone when I renew this year, just to be less distracted altogether. It is definitely distracting..no matter how good one is at multi-tasking.. I think constantly checking your phone/being distracted definitely hurts your productivity. I also think that mental health takes a hit, when people have such a hard time to "be here now"..without constantly being stimulated by something.

It's kind of a bummer..that we are having such an issue with moderation when it comes to smartphones, because they are such awesome devices. I mean.. if I give my smartphone up.. that is my alarm clock, my music in the car..I have an app that gives me basically an unlimited amount of music..awesome, my camera, my GPS, I check the weather on my phone. I can look up the nearest gas station..restaraunt..grocery store..hotel..anything, at anytime anywhere and have their phone number, website, address and hours of operation right there. I recently got married moved, and at the DMV changing my name and address I didn't know the new zip code. Being so many counties away the clerk didn't have it on file. I googled the city and state names and had the zip code in 10 seconds. I mean.. it is very convenient, and now they are pretty affordable as well.

But god no, I would totally give it up for a month to still have sex lol.

Debmomto2girls
    by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    1 mom liked this

Yes, I would rather give up sex for a month for my iphone...My dh probably would too...lol

Euphoric
    by Bazinga! on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    2 moms liked this

My phone's an old dinosaur. I rarely even use it. I enjoy human interaction way more than technology.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
    momtoscott
    by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I think men are just as addicted to their devices.  

AtiFreeFalls
    by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I am addicted, no doubt.  I WANT to spend less time on the computer and on my phone.  I long for quiet and calm.  Having a gamer husband who works in an entertainment store doesn't make it easy to unplug.  We moved the TV out of the living room and that's helping.  I'm working on spending less time staring at a screen, letting my kids spend less time staring at screens.

I would definitely not give up sex for my phone lol.  A month is a long time!

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN