Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man Falls Asleep on Flight & Wakes Up on Dark, Empty, Freezing Plane?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 19 Replies

Man Falls Asleep on Flight & Wakes Up on Dark, Empty, Freezing Plane

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

planeWhenever I've been super tired and semi-dozed off on the train or subway, I've always been nervous that I'd miss my stop. Which I guess is why I can never get a good, solid nap in on my commute home from work. But when it comes to planes, who hasn't fallen asleep? You can't miss your stop on a plane. Or, wait a minute, you totally can.

Tom Wanger fell asleep during his United Express flight from Louisiana to Houston, and when he woke up, he was surprised to see he was sitting in a dark, freezing, locked airplane. Nope. Nobody woke him when it was time to disembark. Awk-ward.

Wanger was on his way to California, but when he arrived at his layover, not a single person decided to notify him that the plane had landed -- including the staff. Thankfully, he had his cellphone. "I called my girlfriend, and she thought I was crazy. I said, 'Debbie I'm locked on the plane,'" Wanger told ABC. "I said, 'I'm telling you the truth. You better go somewhere and get me off this plane." About a half hour later, workers rescued Wanger from the empty plane. In an effort to keep him quiet, the airline apparently put Wanger up in a nearby hotel and gave him a $250 flight voucher to make the ordeal go away. That obviously didn't work too well, though, since you're reading about this now. United Express issued this statement: "Express Jet is investigating to determine how this occurred, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused the passenger."

Now, I have three questions here: One, what kind of sleep aid did Wanger use, because it sounds delightful? Two, did he eat any peanuts/fix himself a stiff drink while he was waiting to be rescued? And three, how did nobody -- not a single person -- see a sleeping man on a plane?! It's kind of scary when you think about it. What if this man needed medicine? What if he froze to death? Or, as James Conway, a former FBI agent and counterterrorism expert at Global Intel Strategies, said, "Let this be a lesson, it was innocent enough, it was a faux pas, but if an individual is going to be missed, what about a package or a backpack or a piece of luggage that could pose a threat to the aircraft on the next flight?"

Glad that Wanger is fine after the ordeal, but for the love of god, do a once-over on the plane before getting off, United Express. And in other news, you guys are lucky this dude isn't sue-happy. He could have made a pretty penny off of you.

Whose fault do you think this is?

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supercarp
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Obviously the flight crew got lazy and didn't do their job. They come around and gather your trash before landing. Evidently they thought that was good enough.

Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM
What happened to people waking those around them?
D-Town
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
They are also supposed to clean the plane after each landing. That is what I was told. Apparently that is getting done
jllcali
by Jane on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Someone screwed up big time
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Reminds me of the stories I hear periodically about a kid who falls asleep on a school bus and the driver doesn't notice and the kid ends up in a bus yard somewhere until the parents call frantically looking for their child.

I think if you operate mass transit, before closing up shop, you should double check to make sure the unit is empty.

Duh lol.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The crew chief or PIC in charge of the cabin is primarily at fault.

And did they not clean that plane post flight? 

Quoting romalove:

Reminds me of the stories I hear periodically about a kid who falls asleep on a school bus and the driver doesn't notice and the kid ends up in a bus yard somewhere until the parents call frantically looking for their child.

I think if you operate mass transit, before closing up shop, you should double check to make sure the unit is empty.

Duh lol.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Holy cow, unbelievable.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM

SMH! No body had time to check the plane?

lga1965
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am surprised that none of the airline's employees on the plane didn't see the guy !!!!

I am also surprised that he slept so soundly that he didn't even know the plane had landed!  Was he drugged? LOL.

I have never slept on a plane, not even on the long transatlantic flights the times we were transferred to bases in Germany ( I'm too busy listening to the engines and looking for a monster walking on the wing......LOL. Just kiddin' , for those of you who might or might not remember The Twilight Zone )

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
He must have had the row to himself or a window seat. All of those people moving around me would surely wake me up. Last time I flew was two months before 9/11. Yeah, everything is driving distance now. Or boats are good if I need to travel far.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)