Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are well off people / wealthy people more polite than the poor?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM
  • 102 Replies
IMO yes , most of the time , but not always.
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM
4 moms liked this
Maybe, but are they sincere?
andiemomo3
by Andie on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Hmmm, I am interested to see the responses.

BlueKWoz
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
9 moms liked this

I think that there are polite rich people, polite poor people, and rude people from both groups.  My kids attend a private school, most families are polite, but the richest family is the rudest family I have ever encountered in my life.  My daughter's preschool has a mix of poor and "comfortable" families and the rudest one is probably the one that is struggling the most financially.

I have noticed, that people who are well educated (doesn't mean college) are usually more polite.  They are more aware of social norms.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting BlueKWoz:

I think that there are polite rich people, polite poor people, and rude people from both groups.  My kids attend a private school, most families are polite, but the richest family is the rudest family I have ever encountered in my life.  My daughter's preschool has a mix of poor and "comfortable" families and the rudest one is probably the one that is struggling the most financially.

I have noticed, that people who are well educated (doesn't mean college) are usually more polite.  They are more aware of social norms.

I've noticed that too.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM
4 moms liked this
You should google research on peer reviewed academic studies of social class and empathy. You might find the results enlightening.
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM
8 moms liked this

From my experience....those with more money look down at those without money.  You have to remember with money comes the 'status thing.'  I have been to many different countries and I run into this scenario over and over.

mhaney03
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM
9 moms liked this

pfffffft no indeed, especially if you work in a service area like a cashier or waitress.  they are entitled aholes.

Kazoo22
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:30 PM
5 moms liked this

Studies show that the wealthier people become their compassion for others declines, so it would leave one to believe that it's the poor who have more empathy and are nicer than their wealtheir peers. Of course there are always exceptions to "the rules". 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Fuck no. Manners and socioeconomic status are un related.
Mandallyn
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM
No.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN