Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Megyn Kelly says 'Santa is white' remarks were tongue-in-cheek

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 75 Replies
After touching off a firestorm of controversy over her suggestion earlier in the week that Santa is white, Megyn Kelly took on her critics Friday, reminding them that her comments were tongue-in-cheek.

“Humor is what we try to bring to this show, but that’s lost on the humorless,” Kelly said on “The Kelly File.” “This would be funny if it were not so telling about our society, in particular, the knee-jerk instinct by so many to race-bait and to assume the worst in people, especially people employed by the very powerful Fox News Channel.”

The backlash began on Wednesday, when Kelly and several guests discussed on “The Kelly File” a Dec. 10 column by Slate writer Aisha Harris entitled “Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore.” In the light-hearted piece, Harris suggested a penguin replace St. Nick as a Christmas mascot so as to appeal to children of all races.

“For all you kids watching at home, Santa just is white, but this person is just arguing that maybe we should also have a black Santa,” Kelly said on Wednesday. “But Santa is what he is, and just so you know, we’re just debating this because someone wrote about it.”

In response, pundits blasted Kelly for her supposed ignorance about the mythology surrounding Santa, and some even went so far as to claim she was racist.

“Contrary to what my critics have posited, neither my statement, nor Harris’, I’m sure, was motivated by any racial fear or loathing,” Kelly said Friday. “In fact, it was something far less sinister: A lifetime of exposure to the very same commercials, mall casting calls, and movies Harris references in her piece.”

“We continually see St. Nick as a white man in modern-day America,” Kelly continued. “Should that change? Well, that debate got lost because so many couldn’t get past the fact that I acknowledged, as Harris did, that the most commonly depicted image of Santa, does, in fact, have white skin.”

Kelly acknowledged on Friday that another suggestion she made on Wednesday, on whether Jesus was a white man, “is far from settled,” but reflected on what she’s learned since the controversy took hold.

“The fact that an off-hand jest I made during a segment about whether Santa should be replaced by a penguin has now become a national firestorm says two things,” Kelly said. “Race is still an incredibly volatile issue in this country, and Fox News, and yours truly, are big targets for many people.”

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/13/megyn-kelly-responds-to-critics-over-santa-is-white-flap/

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
4 moms liked this
labman- 7 minutes ago

"I was just trying to be funny."

Translation: "my spin doctors have been working overtime, trying to figure out a way for me to save face and portray me as a poor, maligned victim of the big, bad media."
Earth to Megyn -- you ARE the big, bad media.

Gotta love those self-righteous conservatives and their alabaster view of the world:
To wit -- Santa is white ... and so is the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.
Furthermore, Jesus was a white guy ... and of course, so is God

whovianmum
by Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

They're big targets for people because they're fools and they're not embarrassed to make it blatantly obvious on national television.

eye rolling

meriana
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Trying to save face or just her job?

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
She didn't acknowledge that Santa was seen as white. She said he was white. Flat out. No caveats. Santa is real and he is really white. Trying to say different was reverse racism, anti American, and downright wrong. That's the gentle spin on what she said.
You might have been smiling when you said it, sweetheart, but I don't believe for a second you were joking.
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 2:30 AM
4 moms liked this
First, why not just own it rather than say "I was joking." She was beyond serious, she was concerned.

Second, as far as Jesus being white, the "issue is far from settled?" For whom? What reasonably intelligent person seriously believes he was white? I'd say it's pretty settled.

Keep digging the hole deeper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM
I saw that and she was not trying to be funny!
Aestas
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Nice backpedaling there, Megyn.

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 7:14 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm more concerned that people are bitching about a FICTIONAL person.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Only the Santa comments? Not the Jesus comments too?

She's as dumb as the spelling of her name
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)