Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Jesus was not white

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 108 Replies
2 moms liked this

Insisting Jesus Was White Is Bad History and Bad Theology

In trying to police his depiction, Megyn Kelly is wrong on both the facts and the essential universality of the Christian message.
More

Public domain

Fox News television host Megyn Kelly told viewers on her December 11 broadcast that Jesus and Santa are both white men.

"Just because it makes you feel uncomfortable doesn't mean it has to change," Kelly said. "Jesus was a white man, too. It's like we have, he's a historical figure that's a verifiable fact, as is Santa, I just want kids to know that. How do you revise it in the middle of the legacy in the story and change Santa from white to black?"

Setting aside the ridiculousness of creating rigidly racial depictions of a fictitious character that does not actually exist—sorry, kids—like Santa, Kelly has made a more serious error about Jesus. The scholarly consensus is actually that Jesus was, like most first-century Jews, probably a dark-skinned man. If he were taking the red-eye flight from San Francisco to New York today, Jesus might be profiled for additional security screening by TSA.

The myth of a white Jesus is one with deep roots throughout Christian history. As early as the Middle Ages and particularly during the Renaissance, popular Western artists depicted Jesus as a white man, often with blue eyes and blondish hair. Perhaps fueled by some Biblical verses correlating lightness with purity and righteousness and darkness with sin and evil, these images sought to craft a sterile Son of God.

The only problem was that the representations were historically inaccurate.

Modern Western Christians have carried these images over into their own depictions of Jesus. Pick up a one of those bright blue “Bible Story” books in a Sunday School classroom and you’ll find white Jesus waiting for you, rosy cheeks and all. Or you could survey the light-skinned Jesus in any number of modern TV or film portrayals, including History Channel’s hit series The Bible.

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM
9 moms liked this

Honestly if you believe the historical Jesus existed, trying to make him "white" is just asinine.  I don't know why it would matter to a believer in the first place, but if you believe in the history then he wasn't a random European dropped into the holyland.  

Obviously he was a brown guy like everyone else in the region was (and mostly is.)

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Sane people know that if Jesus was real he wouldn't have been white but that is a problem for many white racists.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM
5 moms liked this
He would only be considered white if he killed a black teen.

Quoting mikiemom:

Sane people know that if Jesus was real he wouldn't have been white but that is a problem for many white racists.

lga1965
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't care. He was a wise man. A human being. Probably of dark skin, not white. But who cares? Only Megyn,it seemed,until this bizarre explosion ofnews stories came about.

I kind of wish that everyone would stop creating Blogs about her. SHe is getting all kinds of attention after her silly, empty comments about Santa and Jesus. Please....she needs to just go away for a while and the Media needs to shut up.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Based on the part of our world he lived in, he would most likely be olive complected.  Personally it makes no difference to me whatsoever.  The crucifix is more symbolic to me, but holy pictures of Jesus are very symbolic to others. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM
3 moms liked this

well duh.  I agree with milkie....it doesnt fit a racists ideologies to have a brown Jesus.  Their brains would explode.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow, libs must fear Megyn Kelly more then I thought.....

1Giovanni
by Becca on Dec. 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Jesus isn't white. I don't understand why it matters. Right now, he is no color. His spirit sitting becide the non white, non gender Higher being. We supose to only care about his teaching not color. Jeez, this is why humans is still suck where we are because we can't get pass color. 

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Which is probably why there is no description of him in the gospels. The only description is in Revelation of his glorified being.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Jesus isn't white. I don't understand why it matters. Right now, he is no color. His spirit sitting becide the non white, non gender Higher being. We supose to only care about his teaching not color. Jeez, this is why humans is still suck where we are because we can't get pass color. 

Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Is there some link  to this  Megyn  Kelly  reference?  I  keep seeing  post about  it  here and  on FB  and I totally  missed  it.       Jesus was  born a  Jew  not exactly  white.   I  also  find it ridiculous  that he is portrayed as  some  small  fragile being.   He was raised as and  worked at being a carpenter  until  he was  in his 30's.   He  had to be a  rather big  burly  guy in order to withstand the beating  he received  and then  be able  to  carry  that cross up the hill.    Also   he had to constantly  assure  people  he  was not  as scary as he looked.

I do  know the  reason  all the old  icons  look  European.  It's  because  they  were  painted  by Europeans  People   paint    him  how they most relate to him.   If you look at  religious pictures  painted  in  Japan  they look Asian.    In some parts of the world   He looks black.    It doesn't matter what  color  skin   he is portrayed  to have in statues and paintings.   We  are all created  in His image  so it's only  natural to relate to Him  in our own way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN