Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What can Conservatives and LIberals agree on?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 50 Replies
3 moms liked this

Hypocrisy, stupidity, waste and corruption permeates our political system on virtually all levels, with both parties succumbing to the disease that has become our government. 

We know, because we pound it into each other, relentlessly and uselessly, what we disagree on.  Everything is either/or, black or white, little willingness to admit that reality is always more colorful, much more varied than black or white, life is far too complicated, so many things are unique, situation based, unable to be generalized, solved by ideals, a desperate need for common sense solutions.  Party/ideological loyalty most often trumps common sense.

Underneath it all though, I am thinking that we all pretty much want the same things....freedom, the ability to succeed in whatever floats our boat (assuming no harm done to others in the pursuit of one's happiness), food, shelter, love, joy, security and the ability to provide for our families.    And our kids to be able to provide for theirs.

What can we agree on?  If we keep fighting each other while our politicians are being bought by those who only have their own interests in mind, what can we possibly hope to accomplish?

Can we agree that our political system is broken?  That corruption and waste is rampant regardless of party affiliation?  That something needs to be done, even as we may disagree on exactly what or how?

Or do some of you feel satisfied with our political process, see no need to change anything?

By the way, even just using the label conservative or liberal rubs me the wrong way.  I like to believe people are a lot more complicated than some label that everyone perceives differently, rarely fact based.

by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That bad??  Nothing?

Damn, then we really are screwed.

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't have solutions but agree whole heartedly that things are bad. I wonder where the compromises went. When did the left and right start fighting in and out of the political sessions. Why are we so damn happy to say we are right, regardless of facts. And what happened to non-biased sources?

Sorry! I just added more questions to your question!! Great post.
Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

It's all messed up.  I'm sick of it.

lga1965
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It looks like they're busy with other things today :)

I don't know what anyone can agree on here at CM ! And yes,I am not happy with the way people describe others as either Liberal or Conservative.

As far as the Government goes, I don't think it is all bad. If the extremely wealthy people and organizations would stop trying to buy politicians in order to push their own agendas that would help. For example, I have read so many articles and letters to the editors of newspapers that  express a strong desire for more gun control but the NRA ( Wayne LaPierre) stops them in their tracks and intimidates congress because of his need to promote gun purchasing. ( He has a special interest in that)

That's all I have right now,since I am no expert on how to run the country!

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Having the labels is just another way of distracting you :-)

tanyainmizzou
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Colin Firth is hot.
We all want Lloyd Dobler as our boyfriend.
Jelly shoes suck.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Labels are bullshit

I don't know anyone who is 100% any 1 political party
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehutmacher
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I think everyone agrees that our system is broken
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Colin Firth looks like and is old enough to be my Dad. So no.

I'm no a fan of Say Anything.

Jelly shoes certainly do suck.

1/3 is good!

Quoting tanyainmizzou: Colin Firth is hot.

We all want Lloyd Dobler as our boyfriend.

Jelly shoes suck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM

We hate terrorists (like Al Queda)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)