Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teen Parents & Grandfather Encourage Toddler to Smoke Pot?!

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 34 Replies

Teen Parents & Grandfather Encourage Toddler to Smoke Pot

by Michele Zipp 

parents let baby smoke potFile this one under one of the worst things you'll hear today: A 23-month-old was coerced to smoke pot by his teenage parents and grandfather. I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would think this is a good idea. But apparently parents Jessica Kelsey, 17, and George Kelsey, 18, of suburban Buffalo, NY, thought it was just fine to light up a bowl of marijuana and hand it to their child. It was reported that they encouraged him to inhale. Grandfather Don Baker, 54, did nothing to intervene.

The incident reportedly was all recorded, which is how the authorities came to find out. Now I'm not going to jump on the this is because the parents are just teenagers thing. I know plenty of amazing moms and dads who had and are raising kids as teenagers themselves. This is just a complete failure of parenting on the mother's part, the father's part, and the grandfather's part. And now this child, along with his sibling, is under child protective services.

This is just sad. Sad that this happened in the first place. Sad the family is now separated during the holidays. Sad for the children who are being hurt the most. Why does this keep happening? Recently a mom got in trouble for doing bong hits with her toddlerParents are getting arrested for smoking pot with their kids left and right. In this story though, I can't help but wonder why the grandfather didn't step in? I'm seriously worried for this whole family and hope they get the help they seem to need.

The teenage parents and grandfather are now in jail charged with second-degree reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child. The officials said they learned from a videotape that "They packed the marijuana pipe, lit it for the baby and gave it to him and encouraged him to inhale ... it's just unbelievable."

I wish it really was unbelievable, but this kind of thing just keeps happening.

What do you think should happen next for this family?

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Sad.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Idk what should happen to them. Unfortunately, with all this stuff about mj being harmless and having great medicinal qualities, we'll likely see more of this. This kind of thing is one reason why legalizing it for recreational use was/is just dumb.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM
5 moms liked this

I disagree. The pot isn't the problem. It's the trash reproducing.

Quoting meriana:

Idk what should happen to them. Unfortunately, with all this stuff about mj being harmless and having great medicinal qualities, we'll likely see more of this. This kind of thing is one reason why legalizing it for recreational use was/is just dumb.

D-Town
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
They were just trying to cure his cancer.
heather77g
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM
SAD. I do believe that some people just aren't set to be parents.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly......that argument would only hold true is after booze were made legal, people filled sippy cups for the tots.
Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting meriana:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting EireLass: Exactly......that argument would only hold true is after booze were made legal, people filled sippy cups for the tots.
Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting meriana:

People have been known to give alcohol to young children and what about the nursing mom drinking while she's nursing or soon after, isn't that kind of the same thing. Perhaps the biggest difference is that alcohol hasn't, to my knowledge, ever been pushed as being harmless the way mj has been and is. When people really believe something is harmless, they tend to be less concerned about it and/or a young childs access to it.
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Some people shouldn't reproduce. I hate losers like this that make teen parents and mj users look bad. Hell, the parents are too young to be smoking pot. I don't know what should happen to them but they don't need to have their kid back until they learn better.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Oh, the medicinal use of alcohol has always been there....to babies as well.
Quoting meriana:
Quoting EireLass: Exactly......that argument would only hold true is after booze were made legal, people filled sippy cups for the tots.
Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting meriana:

People have been known to give alcohol to young children and what about the nursing mom drinking while she's nursing or soon after, isn't that kind of the same thing. Perhaps the biggest difference is that alcohol hasn't, to my knowledge, ever been pushed as being harmless the way mj has been and is. When people really believe something is harmless, they tend to be less concerned about it and/or a young childs access to it.
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM
3 moms liked this
It's amazing how sometimes just a picture can tell an entire story....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)