Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you feel about polygamy?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 353 Replies
1 mom liked this

Since a Federal judge in Utah has made it where polygamous relationships are no longer illegal, what are your thoughts on the subject if at some time, polygamy was legal and a man could have as many wives as he wanted?  Me, I don't believe in sharing, so this definitely wouldn't work for me.  If a man had eight wives, and each wife had two children with a few wives having more children, how would this man support all these children?  Would they all file for assistance, would the wives be working to support this large family?  Interested in anyone's opinions on this.

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM
33 moms liked this
It's not something I would want but as long as it's consenting adults involved I don't think it's wrong either. How they support themselves is their business, just like any other family in my opinion.
JTROX
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM
3 moms liked this

I could never share my husband with sister wives, not would I want multiple husbands.  One is enough.

Why would the man need to support all the kids?  Moms are responsible for providing for their offspring too.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM
7 moms liked this

Not for me but as long as all involved are consenting adults, it's none of my concern.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

big_sky
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as where they're supporting themselves since they decided to combine wives and kids.  It shouldn't be the responsibility of the rest of us to support them.  The Duggars support themselves with all the offspring they have, so it should be the same with polyagamists in my opinion.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM
33 moms liked this
I believe polygamy is a practice designed to benefit the man. Instead of cheating when he gets the "itch", he just claims that God has instructed him to take a new (younger, prettier) wife.

It's harmful to the women in the relationship, but they've been brainwashed into thinking it's what God wants.

Well, if God had wanted men to have more than one partner at a time, he would have not made a 50/50 balance and you wouldn't have to push young men out of your community to keep the balance.

I watched a show one time about the centennial park group and the family was two wives and one husband who was always working... You could tell that the older wife was very resentful of the younger one and when asked about it her response was "jealousy is a normal human emotion". Well, yes it is, but it has no place in a marriage. That's not healthy, these women shouldn't have to face the pain of being replaced. Any other woman would be devastated if her husband took up with a younger woman, and these woman just have to suck it up and are taught that it's normal.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this
If it works for a family, fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM

All consenting adults, I have no problem with it. 

wissotamum
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

If they were all adults, I'm cool with it.

jllcali
by Jane on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
If all involved are adults capable of informed consent, and the family supports itself, I have no objections. There will have to be changes to tax codes.
survivorinohio
by René on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
2 moms liked this

polyamory isnt always religious.

Quoting SewingMamaLele: I believe polygamy is a practice designed to benefit the man. Instead of cheating when he gets the "itch", he just claims that God has instructed him to take a new (younger, prettier) wife.

It's harmful to the women in the relationship, but they've been brainwashed into thinking it's what God wants.

Well, if God had wanted men to have more than one partner at a time, he would have not made a 50/50 balance and you wouldn't have to push young men out of your community to keep the balance.

I watched a show one time about the centennial park group and the family was two wives and one husband who was always working... You could tell that the older wife was very resentful of the younger one and when asked about it her response was "jealousy is a normal human emotion". Well, yes it is, but it has no place in a marriage. That's not healthy, these women shouldn't have to face the pain of being replaced. Any other woman would be devastated if her husband took up with a younger woman, and these woman just have to suck it up and are taught that it's normal.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)