Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother Of Three Hits Back At Fit Mom

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (131-140):
GloryDaze
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM

First of all, I would hardly call what Marie Kang is wearing in this photo 'a bikini'.  It isn't a bikini....it's a two piece fitness leotard.

Second, when Maria Kang posted her photo she did not do it to shame women. She did the photo shoot because hundreds of thousands of women have mentally conformed to society beliefs that once they give birth, they lose their slender and well toned body.....if the women had a toned and well maintained body to begin with, which...let's face it...many do not.

So now this picture is being presented showing this Australian mom promoting....what? A 'more healthy' and 'realistic' image. This could also be argued since both images and both women are actually 'realistic'. One shows reality of what a female body can look like if you exercise while the other shows reality of what a female body can look like when you do not exercise. Now some of you may ask how I know she doesn't exercise....simply because her body is not toned which can only be accomplished with equipment and a steady regimen. The 'more healthy' issue could probably also be argued.....how does anyone know who of these two women is more healthy? Did someone put them side by side and have them run a 5k to test who makes it across the finish line without huffing and puffing? I think not, but I'd have to place my bet that Maria Kang is actually more healthy simply because she looks like she sets harder physical goals for herself and probably has a greater amount of physical endurance because of it.

Luckily for this Australian woman though, she isn't obnoxiously obese as I see so women become. And what do they all say...."Well, I had a baby so that's my excuse." and the problem arises because many women who do not know how or do not want to re-tone their body get extremely jealous of any other woman who does accomplish that goal for her self.  Of course many women will applaud this Australian woman...because misery loves company. It makes them feel better to think they are not alone instead of reprogramming their mind to accomplish such a physical goal....it's simple psychology, really.  

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Why do people get upset when a woman looks amazing after having a baby?  I've had 3 kids too and looked more like "fit" mom than this mom.  Why should someone like me have to hide because of others' insecurities?

GLWerth
by Gina on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

But, by the same token, do you expect everyone to look like you? Do you automatically categorize anyone who doesn't look like you and Ms. Kang as lazy and unhealthy?

It isn't about hiding, it is about letting you be who you are and me be who I am and Suzie down the block be who she is.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Why do people get upset when a woman looks amazing after having a baby?  I've had 3 kids too and looked more like "fit" mom than this mom.  Why should someone like me have to hide because of others insecurities?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

That is exactly what i look like. Im not overweight but my stomach is a sloppy, saggy mess from my obliques to my intestines.My incision is also more...pronounced than hers, and its shaped like a sad face.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Of course I don't expect others to look like me. I understand why Kang's "What's Your Excuse" can be seen as offensive. I do not automatically categorize women as lazy or unhealthy if they do not look like me or Kang. I am simply tired of women bashing other women. There's simply no need for it.

Quoting GLWerth:

But, by the same token, do you expect everyone to look like you? Do you automatically categorize anyone who doesn't look like you and Ms. Kang as lazy and unhealthy?

It isn't about hiding, it is about letting you be who you are and me be who I am and Suzie down the block be who she is.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Why do people get upset when a woman looks amazing after having a baby?  I've had 3 kids too and looked more like "fit" mom than this mom.  Why should someone like me have to hide because of others insecurities?

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I didn't read where she said that? I never read where Maria Kang said that either? Did I miss something?

Quoting GLWerth:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

GloryDaze
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!! That is basically what I expressed in my post above.  We shouldn't have to hide because of others' insecurities or even laziness to accomplish the same goals. Misery loves company and if you're not company for them then women tend to become catty out of jealousy. I used to have a long time friend who actually refused to ever pose for a picture with me because she told me that I make her look bad....like it was my fault for being slender after 3 kids while she porked up to a hefty 196 pounds after 2 kids!! 

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Why do people get upset when a woman looks amazing after having a baby?  I've had 3 kids too and looked more like "fit" mom than this mom.  Why should someone like me have to hide because of others' insecurities?

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey I'm fit and I spend almost all my time with my kids ;p. 

Quoting gsmom9:

The gals i see all thin and fit, have moms,aunts, grandmas and daycare that raise their children. They work part time or not at all, and their husband and,or parents are funding their lifestyle. Im sure there are exceptions to that, but they are few and far between, or your looking at a mom on the brink of a nervous breakdown

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this

i like what she says about being healthy encompasses being happy... and that she didnt find much happiness in working out hours and hours per week and not being able to enjoy meals etc.  there is a big difference between living a healthy and active life and being overly focused on having a fit body... focused to the extent that it interferes with your enjoyment of life and family and spending time with the ones you love.  it isnt just about LOOKS.

SuDoNim
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This. Maria Kang's whole message is about examining our priorities and what keeps us from taking care of our bodies; virtually ALL have excuses, even if it's simply that her level of fitness is not a priority. Personally, I'm not looking to achieve 6-pack abs, but I don't have to threatened by hers.

Quoting GloryDaze:

Exactly!! That is basically what I expressed in my post above.  We shouldn't have to hide because of others' insecurities or even laziness to accomplish the same goals. Misery loves company and if you're not company for them then women tend to become catty out of jealousy. I used to have a long time friend who actually refused to ever pose for a picture with me because she told me that I make her look bad....like it was my fault for being slender after 3 kids while she porked up to a hefty 196 pounds after 2 kids!! 

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured