Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Armed Guard's Presence Ended Arapahoe School Shooting in 80 Seconds

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

On December 15th Breitbart News reported that an armed guard saved students' lives when Karl Halverson Pierson began firing his shotgun inside Arapahoe High School.

As more details emerge, it has become evident that the guard -- a county deputy resource officer -- did this by running toward the shooter in a way that ended the entire incident in 80 seconds.

Speaking on December 14th, Arapahoe Sheriff Grayson Robinson told CNN that when Pierson entered the school his "intent was evil, and his evil intent was to harm multiple individuals." 

While Pierson was able to critically wound one student, from his first shot to his last, the only life that was lost was his. Robinson said "a critical element" in this scenario was the deputy who ran toward "the noise of gunshot," when "many would run away from it." 

Robinson said the deputy "went to the thunder," which brought him to the library where Pierson was holed up. 

On the way into the library the officer directed students to "get down" and let everyone know he was a "county deputy sheriff."

Said Robinson, "We know for a fact that the shooter knew that the deputy was in the immediate area and while the deputy was containing the shooter, the shooter took his own life."  

This incident lasted 80 seconds. At Sandy Hook Elementary, where there was no armed guard, Adam Lanza had approximately four unimpeded minutes to carry out his evil intent.

source

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM
10 moms liked this
This is why I support having armed police in schools...his immediate response probably not only saved lives but ended this shooter scenario quickly. Kids deserve protection from evil in the world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM
They had armed guards at a Las Vegas grade school in 1979 when my daughter was in 6th grade, bused from our neighborhood to another that was scary. But nothing ever happened. It was enclosed in a guarded fence too. I wasn't happy that they had busing. The next year we were transferred to a base in Germany. We had to deal with terrorists (Bader Meinhof) in Germany. Life is never absolutely safe and praceful. But we didn't buy any guns. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Exactly why I support this.

Quoting Woodbabe: This is why I support having armed police in schools...his immediate response probably not only saved lives but ended this shooter scenario quickly. Kids deserve protection from evil in the world.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

That is a stretch. The young man who did the shooting knew the guard was in the school and it did not deter his determination.  He walked into the school, not even trying to conceal the weapon.  The security guard entering the room ended it, but it certainly did not deter it in the first place.  Which is what we wish for.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
4 moms liked this

So why do we believe that banning certain guns, or stricter gun laws will deter criminals? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind control over sales or making people register, but I don't think banning any type of fire arm is going to solve the problem.  It just means that criminals will have better guns than law abiding gun owners. 

Not to mention an armed guard in a school is sort of like a seat belt.  No, a belt won't deter accidents or injuries, but it can save lives.  Just like a guard may not deter an attack, but he can make that attack less deadly.  

I would rather have an armed guard than not have one.  Granted, I would REALLY rather have a society that doesn't require armed guards in schools...but I don't see that happening any time soon.  

Quoting snookyfritz:

That is a stretch. The young man who did the shooting knew the guard was in the school and it did not deter his determination.  He walked into the school, not even trying to conceal the weapon.  The security guard entering the room ended it, but it certainly did not deter it in the first place.  Which is what we wish for.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I agree. As a student, the killer would have known that the campus had a guard...might even had known the guard's daily routine.

Quoting snookyfritz:

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Surface solutions are just that.  Surface.  We need to fix what is wrong in our society that tells kids they can do this sort of thing.  My son attended the school in Colorado where a group of girls were held hostage and a young lady (Emiy Keyes) was sexually assaulted and then shot in the head.  That school is now Ft. Knox.  Cameras everywhere.  You do not get into the school until you buzz in, have your picture taken at the door and answer questions as to why you are there.  There is bullet proof glass in all the classrooms and heavy steel doors that open into a safe room in every pod. Of course there is a resource officer, but there are not armed guards everywhere. 

I do not want guns in schools period. 

Quoting katzmeow726:

So why do we believe that banning certain guns, or stricter gun laws will deter criminals? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind control over sales or making people register, but I don't think banning any type of fire arm is going to solve the problem.  It just means that criminals will have better guns than law abiding gun owners. 

Not to mention an armed guard in a school is sort of like a seat belt.  No, a belt won't deter accidents or injuries, but it can save lives.  Just like a guard may not deter an attack, but he can make that attack less deadly.  

I would rather have an armed guard than not have one.  Granted, I would REALLY rather have a society that doesn't require armed guards in schools...but I don't see that happening any time soon.  

Quoting snookyfritz:

Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about the resource officer at this school, but all of our SRO's are actually police officers.  It would seem since the article calls him "deputy", he too is a police officer and not an "armed guard".

Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Any type? Do you think we should lift the federal restrictions on real assault weapons?
Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting snookyfritz:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Too bad that guy wasn't at Sandy Hook. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)