Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In keeping with the Christmas spirit: Virgin Births

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/17/us-usa-health-virgins-idUSBRE9BG1F020131217

Claims of virgin births in U.S. near 1 percent: study

6:33pm EST

By Sharon Begley

(Reuters) - Nearly 1 percent of young women in a U.S. study who have become pregnant claim to have done so as virgins, according to a report in the Christmas edition of Britain's BMJ medical journal.

The authors of "Like a virgin (mother)" - whose prose is devoid of irony - say such scientifically impossible claims show researchers must use care in interpreting self-reported behavior. Fallible memory, beliefs and wishes can cause people to err in what they tell scientists.

Based on interviews with 7,870 women and girls ages 15 to 28, 45 of the 5,340 pregnancies in this group through the years - 0.8 percent - occurred in women who reported that they conceived independent of men. The figure does not include pregnancies that result from in vitro fertilization or other assisted reproductive technology.

Each year, the BMJ Christmas edition publishes untraditional science papers. In addition to the report on virgin pregnancies, the latest BMJ includes papers on whether there is a local baby boom nine months after home sports teams triumph (only a small one, but statistically significant) and whether an apple a day would keep the British doctor away (yes, saving about 8,500 lives in the United Kingdom each year, about as many as would expanding the use of cholesterol-lowering drugs to everyone over 50).

For the study of putative virgin pregnancies, researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill analyzed data from the thousands of teenage girls and young women who took part in the long-running National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.

The girls were 12 to 18 years old when they entered the study in the 1994-95 school year and were interviewed periodically about their health and behavior over 14 years, including via computer as a way to encourage them to be candid when answering questions about their sexual history.

The 45 women and girls who became pregnant despite, according to what they told interviewers, being virgins at the time of conception differed in several ways from peers who acknowledged that men had had a role in their procreation.

Of those who said they became pregnant as virgins, 31 percent also said they had signed chastity pledges; 15 percent of nonvirgins who became pregnant said they had signed such pledges, in which a girl vows not to have sex until she marries.

The 45 self-described virgins who reported having become pregnant and the 36 who gave birth were also more likely than nonvirgins to say their parents never or rarely talked to them about sex and birth control. About 28 percent of the "virgin" mothers' parents (who were also interviewed) indicated they didn't have enough knowledge to discuss sex and contraception with their daughters, compared to 5 percent of the parents of girls who became pregnant and said they had had intercourse.

The ostensibly chaste mothers were also less likely to know how to use condoms, according to the report. UNC biostatistician Amy Herring and public health expert Carolyn Halpern led the group.

The researchers found that although the mothers in question were more likely to have boys than girls, and to be pregnant during the weeks leading up to Christmas, neither similarity to the Virgin Mary was statistically significant.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperChicken
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

BUMP!

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM

BUMP!

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I knew a girl it happened to. She was smart, college educated. She knew what sex was. She says she got pregnant from an intense make out session that didn't include penetration. But suffice it to say that things were still a bit too close to keep a baby from being born. Oddly enough, I think it was a boy but born in the spring. Strange world
punky3175
by Punky on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Well wasn't Jesus actually born in the spring?

And that is a really interesting story. At least she knew how she got pregnant. Those were some determined little swimmers. :-)

Quoting AdrianneHill: I knew a girl it happened to. She was smart, college educated. She knew what sex was. She says she got pregnant from an intense make out session that didn't include penetration. But suffice it to say that things were still a bit too close to keep a baby from being born. Oddly enough, I think it was a boy but born in the spring. Strange world
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM
That reminds me of the debate over what constitutes sex. If a guy ejaculates on or around a females vagina, that's sex, IMO, lol. I guess she gets to say she is a virgin in the strictest sense of the word:)

Quoting AdrianneHill: I knew a girl it happened to. She was smart, college educated. She knew what sex was. She says she got pregnant from an intense make out session that didn't include penetration. But suffice it to say that things were still a bit too close to keep a baby from being born. Oddly enough, I think it was a boy but born in the spring. Strange world
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Now here's a topic I hadn't thought I'd see on CM.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I would call it sex just like oral sex and whatnot. But it wasn't intercourse. She said she still had her hymen intact and her ob was like "ok, what the hell you trying to pull here?"
I asked if she went ahead and had sex anyway since the damage was done and no one would believe her story. She laughed and said hell no. She said it frightened her off of men for years and she was twenty two when he was born. Her boy was young when I met her still less than a year. He was over five before she tried dating again. Needless to say, telling the father was difficult as he didn't see how it was at all possible. It was in the early days of DNA so they didn't have the money for proving it right off. I think she wound up doing the test anyway. Not so much because she wanted that guy's money or him being around her son but she wanted some kind of proof that she wasn't making it all up. She said you'd be amazed at how many people don't want to believe a story like that. Even though her take isn't very miraculous just rare, people still treated her as though she was claiming to have given birth to a ferret.

Quoting Stephanie329: That reminds me of the debate over what constitutes sex. If a guy ejaculates on or around a females vagina, that's sex, IMO, lol. I guess she gets to say she is a virgin in the strictest sense of the word:)

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Oh wow, that would scare me off men. Those swimmers are dangerous- damn!

It's been a while since I've heard of an intact hymen. That guy had mega sperm.

Quoting AdrianneHill: I would call it sex just like oral sex and whatnot. But it wasn't intercourse. She said she still had her hymen intact and her ob was like "ok, what the hell you trying to pull here?"

I asked if she went ahead and had sex anyway since the damage was done and no one would believe her story. She laughed and said hell no. She said it frightened her off of men for years and she was twenty two when he was born. Her boy was young when I met her still less than a year. He was over five before she tried dating again. Needless to say, telling the father was difficult as he didn't see how it was at all possible. It was in the early days of DNA so they didn't have the money for proving it right off. I think she wound up doing the test anyway. Not so much because she wanted that guy's money or him being around her son but she wanted some kind of proof that she wasn't making it all up. She said you'd be amazed at how many people don't want to believe a story like that. Even though her take isn't very miraculous just rare, people still treated her as though she was claiming to have given birth to a ferret.

Quoting Stephanie329: That reminds me of the debate over what constitutes sex. If a guy ejaculates on or around a females vagina, that's sex, IMO, lol. I guess she gets to say she is a virgin in the strictest sense of the word:)

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Seriously? Someone reported the meme? lol. 

SuperChicken
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:38 AM

I missed it :(

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Seriously? Someone reported the meme? lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)