Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So I Went To The Doctor Today....

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
  • 47 Replies

.....and found that he isn't much of a fan of ACA either.

I have to go once a year for an asthma check and to get my medications refilled.  My doctor's office is part of a larger practice, with offices in multiple NJ locations.  I have been going here for about twenty years or so.  I am a cash patient as I have no insurance.  I had checked with the plans to make sure that they were included, and they are.

So I mentioned to the doctor that I had checked if they were included and that they were, and he said "I don't know if I would be so quick to join any of the plans.  The deductibles and copays are so high that you are probably better off just paying cash like you do now.  We are having a meeting to see if we can find a way around it and offer help to our cash patients, but we don't know if we'll be able to do so."

He  pointed out that most of the plans have a $50 copay.  He only charges me $60 as a cash patient.  And the copay doesn't kick in until after you've met the deductibles, which are thousands each year.

I am offering this information because this is the first doctor's visit I have had where ACA has come up.  The doctors are not fans.

I wonder how this portends as we go forward.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Are you okay? 

I wish I could find a GP that only charged $60.

It's going to hell in a hand-basketed snowball.  At least for now.  Although, it could get worse.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM
I don't know much about aca since it hasn't affected our insurance, but that seems like a really expensive copay :/ I know that my mom can finally get some dental work she has been needing done now that she is on one of the plans though, so that's good.
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I haven't asked anyone at the practice I go to about it, must remember to.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:32 AM

Quoting Della529:

Are you okay? 

I wish I could find a GP that only charged $60.

It's going to hell in a hand-basketed snowball.  At least for now.  Although, it could get worse.

I'm OK.  Got my medications refilled.

I was just struck by how the doctors are so concerned about how expensive ACA is that they are going to be meeting to see if there's something they can do to offer to patients as an alternative.

It's bad.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Quoting AlekD: I don't know much about aca since it hasn't affected our insurance, but that seems like a really expensive copay :/ I know that my mom can finally get some dental work she has been needing done now that she is on one of the plans though, so that's good.

I'm curious as to what kind of plan she's on that includes dental.  With the high expense I've been quoting here, none of it includes dental.

I use a dental discount plan.  Costs $175 for 15 months, covers four of us for that time, and we get big discounts on dental without having to submit anything to insurance.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I haven't asked anyone at the practice I go to about it, must remember to.

I'd be curious to know what they think, and if they are on any of the plans.  That's another thing people have to look at, not all doctors are included in any given plan.

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I have asthma too Romalove.No fun:(

So far my husband,myself and kids have been lucky as far as Obamacare goes.We still have our same Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage.

We used to have a $15 copay now we have none.My advir has gone down in pay to about $20 from $60.All our regular checkups are covered.

My doctors havent complained about ACA to me as of yet.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Quoting MomTiara19:

I have asthma too Romalove.No fun:(

So far my husband,myself and kids have been lucky as far as Obamacare goes.We still have our same Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage.

We used to have a $15 copay now we have none.My advir has gone down in pay to about $20 from $60.All our regular checkups are covered.

My doctors havent complained about ACA to me as of yet.

Is your coverage through an employer?  Do you pay into the plan as well?

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Many doctors feel the same way.  Unless you have a catastrophic illness, most people will not make their deductible and out-of-pockets. 

Obama screwed us of any chance to talk the American people into single-payer.  He really made a mess of this and the rightists(my new descriptive, do you like it?) are going to be able to use it to dissuade people from what real reform should have looked like

luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM
My doctor hasn't expressed any issues with ACA, and our insurance has actually become better, with more coverage, and no cost increases. Same with most people we know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)