Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

UPDATE 2 - add his racist remarks - UPDATE - he's suspended - 'Duck Dynasty' Under Fire Following Star's Incendiary Anti-Gay Remarks

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 515 Replies
1 mom liked this

'Duck Dynasty' Under Fire Following Star's Incendiary Anti-Gay Remarks

The stars of "Duck Dynasty" might be America's most popular TV family, but that could change very soon - because Phil Robertson has made some strong (and seriously offensive) anti-gay remarks that have sparked instant backlash.

Speaking with GQ, Robertson lamented that when "everything is blurred on what's right and what's wrong ... sin becomes fine." So just what qualifies as sinful in his book?

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there - bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men," he declared.

[Related: How 'Duck Dynasty' Became Such a Huge Hit]

Phil probably should have cut himself off at this point, but instead he paraphrased Corinthians. "Don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers - they won't inherit the kingdom of God," he warned. "Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

What's more, according to him, it's basically incomprehensible. "It seems to me, a vagina - as a man - would be more desirable than a man's anus," he explained. "That's just me. I'm just thinking, 'There's more there! She's got more to offer.' I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

Within minutes of GQ revealing Robertson's quotes (which will appear in the January issue), GLAAD issued a fiery response - and the gay-rights organization is none to pleased.

[Related: A Very Ducky Christmas - Robertsons Revisit Ghosts of Christmases Past]

"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe," said GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz. "He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans - and Americans - who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families."

Cruz, who cited an August Public Policy Polling survey showing 56 percent of Louisiana residents supported same-sex marriage, stopped short of calling for an all-out boycott of "Duck Dynasty." There was no immediate comment from A&E.

Despite Phil's strong words, however, he insists he's a Christian who doesn't condemn others - even if they are "sinners" in his mind.

"We never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job," he told the magazine. "We just love 'em, give 'em the good news about Jesus - whether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?"

Something about equating homosexuals with terrorists doesn't sound like it comes from a place of love to us, but maybe we're just not ... umm ... enlightened?

After all, Robertson insisted that his family "really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and... everything will turn around."

If the backlash continues to build, something tells us the person who will be repenting the most ... is Phil.

UPDATE 7 a.m. PT: In a statement released via A&E, Robertson attempted to clarify his remarks: "I myself am a product of the '60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

View gallery

Jase, Uncle Si, Phil, Willie, and Jep Robertson (Jeff Riedel/GQ)****************

*************************ETA UPDATE

‘Duck Dynasty': Phil Robertson Suspended Indefinitely Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Phil Robertson | Photo Credits: Karolina Wojtasik/A&E

"Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson has been placed on indefinite hiatus from the reality program following his controversial remarks in GQ magazine regarding homosexuality.

A+E Networks, parent company of  A&E, has released the following statement to Variety:

"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community."

As noted in a previous Variety article, Robertson discusses in his GQ  interview his religious beliefs and about sin, saying, "start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men." Then, the GQ writer paraphrases Corinthians saying, "don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers - they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

Robertson added in the interview, "It seems like, to me, a vagina - as a man - would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

"Duck Dynasty" has been a ratings juggernaut for A&E, recently drawing around 9 million viewers for its Christmas special. Gurney Prods.-produced program can move on without Phil Robertson attached to the series, as the bearded men at the center of the Robertson clan include Jase, Willie and Uncle Si, among others.

Get more from Variety.com: Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Newsletter

ETA to add his racist remarks

In addition to his remarks about homosexuality, Robertson also suggested in the interview that black people he grew up with were happier under Jim Crow laws of segregation.

They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word!” Robertson said. “Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I am not really surprised although I am sad about the way he went into the interview and expressed his disgust for Homo-sexual behavior liking it to bestiality or drug use and prostitution.  It is really not surprising that a man with so many past demons who clings to the bible and uses finding Jesus/God as his "strength" that he would take the bibles passages and interpret them so strongly. 

billsfan1104
by Jules on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
6 moms liked this
He was talking about all destructive behavior

Quoting babyspots17:

I am not really surprised although I am sad about the way he went into the interview and expressed his disgust for Homo-sexual behavior liking it to bestiality or drug use and prostitution.  It is really not surprising that a man with so many past demons who clings to the bible and uses finding Jesus/God as his "strength" that he would take the bibles passages and interpret them so strongly. 

ceedee77
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Personally, this comment kills me even more:

"On growing up in pre-civil-rights-era Louisiana

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field.... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”"

Wow. 

simplytess
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM
4 moms liked this

What is it with homosexual bigots, who always seem to liken homosexuality to bestiality, or they say that legalising bestiality is the next thing that will happen?!

Homosexuals sleep with other HUMANS, there is nothing perverse with that, and to try and relate it to having sex with a different species it's pathetic.

My theory is they raise the bestiality thing, as they haven't got a LEGITIMATE argument so they have to resort to being so far-fetched.

Idiots.

apoynter
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
9 moms liked this

It's his opnion, right?

LuvmyAiden
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
19 moms liked this

He said ALL those things are bad. He likened being gay to being a sinner who is straight, and as most of us beleive that no sin is greater than another he was right. He basically said these things are all immoral, he also said it was just his opinion. How is him answering a question with his opinion such a huge deal?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

I knew this about him.  Not surprised and really, I did not expect any thing else from him.

He is entitled to his opinion and his views.  As long as he makes no attempt to force others to follow his lead, so to speak, or to believe as he does, have at it.

While I get a kick out of the show, I am not a huge fan but boy, plenty of people are.

They are not stupid rednecks, although they are rednecks. lol  The show is for entertainment and they make me laugh.  Other than that, keep on your side and don't try to pull people over and all is well.  Do not throw others to the side because they are not as you feel is right.  Right is subjective.  No book, no man, no one, has the absolute hold on that one.

tanyainmizzou
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
7 moms liked this

Why is anyone suprised he doesn't support it since the show is so open about their Christianity?

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm not quite sure why people are surprised by what comes out when trashy reality stars speak their minds.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Quoting ceedee77:

Personally, this comment kills me even more:

"On growing up in pre-civil-rights-era Louisiana

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field.... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”"

Wow. 

I didn't see this.  I take it this is further in the article?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)