Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

High school named after KKK 'grand wizard' to be renamed

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

High school named after KKK 'grand wizard' to be renamed

Nathan B. Forrest

View gallery

Related Stories

A Florida high school named after a founding member of the Ku Klux Klan is getting a new name after a campaign to change it went viral.

The Duval County Public School Board voted unanimously Monday to rename Nathan B. Forrest High School in Jacksonville.

More than 170,000 people signed a Change.org petition launched by a local resident urging the school board to rename the school.

"The people who live here deserve better," Ty Richmond wrote in his petition. "I don't want my daughter, or any student, going to a school named under those circumstances. This is a bad look for Florida - with so much racial division in our state, renaming Forrest High would be a step toward healing."

The petition continued:

It is especially troubling that more than half of Forrest High attendees are African American - the school is named for someone who would have kept their ancestors enslaved and who helped lead an organization, the KKK, that went on to terrorize, intimidate, and disenfranchise Black people for nearly a century.

Naming a public high school for so divisive a figure is a relic of a bygone era - a legacy that must be actively rejected. I urge you to reject the legacy of Nathan Bedford Forrest by renaming Forrest High immediately.

In response, the Washington Post reported, the KKK wrote a letter to the board urging it to keep the name.

The high school was named after Forrest, a Confederate general and the KKK's first "grand wizard," in 1959. In 2007, the school board voted 5-2 in favor of keeping the school's name.

But on Monday, Duval County Superintendent Nikolai Vitti acknowledged it was time.

"If you look at the history of the naming of Nathan B. Forrest High School, the students originally wanted the school to be named Valhalla," Vitti said. "Politics reigned, and as a response to desegregation and the civil rights movement, the school was named Nathan B. Forrest. That was not the will of the students, and considering the opinion of the students in this process, I think it is an opportunity to give voice to students whose voices were not heard in the beginning and can certainly be heard now."

"I'm very encouraged," Richmond told Action News Jacksonville. "Jacksonville is too much of a beautiful city to have that ugly blemish."

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I am very against what the KKK stands for.I would have signed the petition for the name change as well.I am very happy I live in a diverse area.We would never tolerate that hateful blemish on our state as well.

Good for Jacksonville!

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
4 moms liked this
Valhalla would be an awesome name.
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Finally. Sad that it took a petition and media coverage for them to change it though!
jllcali
by Jane on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I hope the name gets changed
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

And then they could re-name all their sports teams "The Valkyries"

So much yes.

Quoting jessilin0113: Valhalla would be an awesome name.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally second that

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

So much yes.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Funny. This article was posted the other day. However, the title was a whole lot less race baiting. Is it possible to give all of that a rest just for the next few weeks? 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I don't think most even knew who the man was. It wasn't that everyone was just okay with it, they just had no idea who the school was named after, and never gave it a thought.  I had no clue who this man was until I looked it up. I would have signed the petition to change it, but wouldn't have known there was an issue with the name unless a petition had been brought forth. 

Quoting Healthystart30: Finally. Sad that it took a petition and media coverage for them to change it though!

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
seems hard to believe someone could reject that argument. I'm sure people are because emotions make people crazy. But they have no excuse to keep it really.
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM
That's the girls teams. The guys could be the thunderbolts or the hammers or something. What would be a good name?

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

So much yes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)