Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Black Student ‘Lynches’ Two White Guys, Calls It Art

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM
  • 56 Replies

What does this say to you?  Is social injustice or inequality, the first thing to pop into your head?

An African-American student at Sacramento State University is under fire for her recent work of art – which consisted of “lynching” two white men from a tree on the northern California campus.

The men were reportedly actors and were in no real danger during the project, which took place during the day in early December while students were on campus. The men were hung from a tree with a thick rope.

The senior responsible for the performance art, Christina Edwards, defended her project to Fox 40 News.

“The purpose of this performance was to bring to light social injustices and the issue of inequality that impacts me and my community as a whole,” Edwards said.

Edwards says she chose to illustrate this time in history by using race reversal, in an effort to shine new light on an old but standing matter. And says she followed all campus procedures.

The university doesn’t see it that way, however. University President Alexander Gonzalez released this statement saying, in part: “The university did not approve the display, and I want to assure everyone that I am working to address the multiple issues raised by this incident.”

lynch

IMAGE: Instagram

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:36 AM

The picture isn't showing up for me.

I feel the same way about art that I do about TV shows, etc.  Freedom of speech. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay.. I googled it and saw it.  I thought it was a picture. Not live art.

I think it was tasteless and could have really done psychological harm to other students walking by and not knowing it was "art".

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:02 AM
3 moms liked this

No pic for me either.  My personal opinion is that a lot of performance art is meaningless, or else the artists point is so abstract that it goes right over my head.  Performance art, as a way to bring light to a subject though, I understand.  I think this was done to try to educate people to the injustices that were carried out against blacks in this country.  Doing it in reversal, whites being lynched by blacks is shocking and gets peoples attention and the goal is to inspire empathy.  If she did it in a non-controversial way, it wouldn't create the type of conversation she was looking for.  It's uncomfortable and disturbing, and I wouldn't say that I particularly like it, but I think I understand it. 

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM
3 moms liked this

Performance "art" is stupid.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Sorry about the pic.  It is showing up for me.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I can only speak for me, but blacks being lynched by whites is quite shocking, as well.

Quoting Rubberbiscuit:

No pic for me either.  My personal opinion is that a lot of performance art is meaningless, or else the artists point is so abstract that it goes right over my head.  Performance art, as a way to bring light to a subject though, I understand.  I think this was done to try to educate people to the injustices that were carried out against blacks in this country.  Doing it in reversal, whites being lynched by blacks is shocking and gets peoples attention and the goal is to inspire empathy.  If she did it in a non-controversial way, it wouldn't create the type of conversation she was looking for.  It's uncomfortable and disturbing, and I wouldn't say that I particularly like it, but I think I understand it. 

Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM
10 moms liked this
This caught attention, this caused a conversation to begin. When real social injustice/inequality takes place people ignore it, excuse it, deny it.
Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Nuh uh. I can't...no I don't WANT to see the picture. Find another method. I don't want to see ANYONE hung from a tree!

TerraIncognita
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Thats horrible.
Kazoo22
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm getting tired of people using "time in history" to make their points. It's not happening now, people are not being lynched. Figurative or not it's not the same as what's happening now in America. If she really wanted to shine a light on the issue she should be making a display that shows what's happening now. It feels to me that she did it to grab attention rather than try to bring to light an issue. . . Shock value I guess would be the correct term. I find it in bad taste and it takes away from the point of the message she's trying to make but failing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)