Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Homeschoolers may soon require mandatory CPS visits.

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 113 Replies

Senate Bill (SB) 248 was introduced on December 3, 2013, and would require childrenā€™s services to review all homeschool notices to determine whether homeschooling is ā€œin the best interest of the child.ā€ Under this proposed legislation, childrenā€™s services would be required to meet with parents who choose to homeschool and conduct separate in-person interviews with each of their children. Childrenā€™s services would then make a recommendation for or against the excuse from compulsory school attendance.

Childrenā€™s services would automatically be required to recommend against homeschooling if they determine it is not in the childā€™s ā€œbest interestā€ or if the family has any record of a child welfare investigation, regardless of the result of that investigation. If there is a recommendation against homeschooling, the superintendent would be ordered to delay excusing the children for homeschooling until the family participates in a CPS parenting ā€œintervention.ā€

The effect of the bill would require childrenā€™s services to divert time and resources away from true child abuse investigations in order to review homeschool plans which they are neither prepared nor qualified to evaluate.

This bill is breathtaking in its attempt to impose unreasonable government intrusion on Ohio families. In responding to this ill-advised legislation, however, it is important to keep in mind the background that has led to this bill.

Childrenā€™s services would automatically be required to recommend against homeschooling if they determine it is not in the childā€™s ā€œbest interestā€ or if the family has any record of a child welfare investigation, regardless of the result of that investigation. If there is a recommendation against homeschooling, the superintendent would be ordered to delay excusing the children for homeschooling until the family participates in a CPS parenting ā€œintervention.ā€

This bill would also require childrenā€™s services to divert time and resources away from true child abuse investigations in order to review homeschool plans which they are neither prepared nor qualified to evaluate.

http://www.hslda.org/cms/?q=bill/senate-bill-248-require-childrens-services-review-homeschooling

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM
4 moms liked this

Just outlaw homeschooling and there would be no need to argue about time and money being wasted investigating these families.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Time to send another check to the HSLDA.

How is a social worker qualified to evaluate a homeschool's scope and sequence?  Ours have to be approved by the school board.  I received a letter from a teacher that evaluated mine...she indicated it was far superior to what was being taught by the district.

That would never fly in Wyoming.  Not only do we have failing schools but many people live in areas to rural for traditional schools.

circle_of_life
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
13 moms liked this

Or leave homeschoolers alone and let them educate their own children how they see fit. Here in Arkansas every homeschooler has to take a yearly test to ensure they are on track. If they test severly below grade level two years in a row and have no documented learning disabilities then the parents are subject to further scrutiny. I think that's plenty interference enough.

Quoting IhartU:

Just outlaw homeschooling and there would be no need to argue about time and money being wasted investigating these families.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM
8 moms liked this

Wow, way for the government to reach further and further into people's homes. Why don't we just birth the kids then send them off to gov't camps until they are 18? Then they can return home and once again be our kids. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't agree with the bill at all.  

I do think homeschooled children should be required to pass the same standardized tests and master courses in the same subject matter as their state requires for public school graduates.   (Such as: 3 credits' worth of foreign language, or math, or science, etc.)  A diploma for a home schooled child should be worth as much as a diploma for a private schooled or public schooled child, and a potential college or employer needs to be able to trust that value.  

PPCLC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm a home-schooling Mom to our youngest child and have been for six year now, with five of those years spent being her "Learning Coach" through a "school at home" program.

The story behind the push for this bill had nothing to do with home-schooling itself. 

While I would welcome a visit by a social worker (though I would want to know THEIR credentials as well as possible experiences as an educator and/or home-schooling experience) without a problem, I would be resentful that the same type of scrutiny and evaluations were not being done on brick & mortar public school kid's and their families, however. Why? Because once some of those kids leave their classroom, they may not go home to the best environments. Where's the scrutiny under the guidance of a bill for them?

For that matter, why not put some of the public school teachers in our country under the same microscope to ensure that they're capable of teaching not one.......not two or three........but at times, 30-35 children per classroom?

We've seen enough news stories that tell us that there are some school teachers who should NEVER be in the position of instructing and educating one child.......or many.

I do not support nor advocate for the HSLDA for personal reasons and what I've come to learn about their "reach" going much further than their "grasp." However, with THIS proposed bill, I am in agreement with them.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM

This.

Quoting circle_of_life:

Or leave homeschoolers alone and let them educate their own children how they see fit. Here in Arkansas every homeschooler has to take a yearly test to ensure they are on track. If they test severly below grade level two years in a row and have no documented learning disabilities then the parents are subject to further scrutiny. I think that's plenty interference enough.

Quoting IhartU:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree- and the parent should be tested on current knowledge and ability to actually teach- or prove that another qualified person is doing the teaching.

And if money were no object, I would say that unannounced site visits should be part of the eval process.

Sorry, the HSers I've known were doing so for pure convenience. The parents were not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. One kid even requested to go back to school-

Quoting momtoscott:

I do think homeschooled children should be required to pass the same standardized tests and master courses in the same subject matter as their state requires for public school graduates.   (Such as: 3 credits' worth of foreign language, or math, or science, etc.)  A diploma for a home schooled child should be worth as much as a diploma for a private schooled or public schooled child, and a potential college or employer needs to be able to trust that value.  

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Sisteract:

I agree- and the parent should be tested on current knowledge and ability to actually teach- or prove that another qualified person is doing the teaching.

And if money were no object, I would say that unannounced site visits should be part of the eval process.

Sorry, the HSers I've known were doing so for pure convenience. The parents were not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. One kid even requested to go back to school-

Quoting momtoscott:

So I assume you also think public school teachers should be held to this same scrutiny.......being able to actually teach...and if not removed?

What about using this scrutiny on the school districts in their ability to deliver a quality education?  Half the schools in my district are failing by government standards.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

That's a ridiculous invasion of privacy and completely discriminatory.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)