Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is "bible-thumper" a religious slur?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 59 Replies
I see this term "bible-thumper" used anytime someone states an opinion that involves a religious faith. I cringe everytime because Ive only ever seen the term used in a derogatory or demeaning manner when someone disagrees with someone else. What do you think? I think in our culture this term is freely used and accepted but I'm not sure why it is so widely allowed? What do you ladies think? Do you think if there was a term to describe an over zealous athiest and christians constantly used it our culture would be so accepting? What about with any other faiths? Muslims, Jews, etc. etc. do you think it would be allowed to call them an equivalent term in our society? Why do you think our culture is like this?
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM
4 moms liked this

It is meant as a demeaning comment. But its ok because its about those awful Christians. 

GrettieMeh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM

What about those Christians that use that term and love it??  Yes, they are out there lol.

codfish
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I have never heard a Christian use that term.

I do however see it here often.

Of course it ok because it is just hateful to Christians.

Quoting GrettieMeh:

What about those Christians that use that term and love it??  Yes, they are out there lol.

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM
My mom does.

But she isn't as bad as some others. She also calls herself a fire and brimstone Christian

Quoting codfish: I have never heard a Christian use that term.

I do however see it here often.

Of course it ok because it is just hateful to Christians.

Quoting GrettieMeh:

GLWerth
by Gina on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM
11 moms liked this

It is generally used to denote a subset of Christians who use their religion as a weapon against people of other faiths and belief systems.

Quoting fireangel5:

It is meant as a demeaning comment. But its ok because its about those awful Christians. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM
4 moms liked this
I prefer Bible banger

No, it's not a slur.

Poor persecuted Christians
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

the term comes from actual preachers or others proselytizing and how they often actually smack their hands down on the bible while preaching/proselytizing.
i think it can be used as an insult ... but the term isnt necessarily an insult in and of itself and in general i dont think calling people bible thumpers is insulting - particularly if they are the kind that recite from the bible or use the bible to back themselves up or use the bible as part of their speech

Mommabearbergh
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I know someone who uses the term sort of in a taking it back kind of way. They are a pretty good person and knowledgeable about his beliefs.
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM
3 moms liked this

I find it about as attractive as raghead.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I have never heard it used in a way that wasn't dismissive at best and outright hateful at worst. So yes, I think so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN