Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Fired After Kicking Planned Parenthood Out of His Class

Posted by   + Show Post

As Planned Parenthood loses the control they’re accustomed to have over government funding and legislation, they may be getting a bit desperate. As they’re known to do, the organization takes to bullying when it gets uncomfortable. The Susan G. Komen saga is one example among many: If you try to stand up to us, they say, we’ll make your life hell. Their latest victim is a computer science teacher. At a high school.

That’s right: Planned Parenthood is after the career and livelihood of a distinguished, highly-qualified, good high school teacher, Bill Diss, who had the audacity to tell Planned Parenthood that they were not allowed in his classroom.

Apparently, Planned Parenthood will rally tooth-and-nail to make sure that ‘hostile forces’ stay out of pro-choice women’s uteri (unless, of course, we’re talking about government funding of contraception), but informing Planned Parenthood that it is not welcome in a classroom is against the rules of the (lopsided) game.

Diss has a history with Planned Parenthood dating to 2007 when he led community opposition to a new Planned Parenthood abortion facility being built in a minority neighborhood in Portland. He raised Planned Parenthood’s ire again when a “health education team” came into his computer science classroom uninvited and attempted to enroll his students in the Health and Human Services’ Teen Outreach Program (TOP).

One of TOP’s goals is to prevent teen pregnancy, and the team who came to enroll Diss’ students (using monetary incentives) was hired by—you guessed it—Planned Parenthood. When Diss – unaware of whether the ‘team’ had been background-checked or had received sex/child abuse certifications – asked Planned Parenthood to leave his classroom.

Read more from this story HERE.

Read more at http://joemiller.us/2013/11/teacher-fired-kicking-planned-parenthood-class/#IzsAwpyBCIEphQEz.99
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM

No workers of Planned Parenthood walked into any math class.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I feel they did this to him on purpose. No one brings Planned Parenthood into a math class. They could've brought PP to a Health class and it would've been a more appropriate setting.

I think they're trying to make an example of him and it's disgusting.

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

You are right but he also teaches Math.

It was his class and they had no business in there enrolling students while he was trying to teach.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

It thought it was a computer class?  And they were enrolling students in a health program? 

Quoting candlegal:

I agree and they definitely have no business in a math class.

Quoting meriana:

Good for him. Planned Parenthood should not be allowed to give talks, etc in schools period.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Would you kick out workers who came to your computer classroom to help kids sign on to an on-line program that had been previously approved by the principal?

I see an issue with the principal not discussing this with him beforehand, but not really anything else.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

I don't think that's what I said. If anyone, Planned Parenthood or other, just walks into a class and starts talking, that is crazy. But teens should be taught about birth control and they're not going to get it at home because their parents are in denial that their children can get pregnant, or else they're wringing their hands in fear that they might.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

Those of us who would like to see fewer abortions performed in the US support Planned Parenthood.

Use of birth control = fewer abortions

So anyone should be able to show up in a class because....?

Do you know they weren't being taught in health, gym, or biology?

I would have kicked out people who showed up to my English class to sign people up for something. I would especially do it if I didn't know them or their backgeound

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Please elaborate

Quoting supercarp:

No, nobody does that. There's more to the story.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: So it's totally appropriate to interrupt a math class to discuss birth control?

Quoting supercarp:

I don't think that's what I said. If anyone, Planned Parenthood or other, just walks into a class and starts talking, that is crazy. But teens should be taught about birth control and they're not going to get it at home because their parents are in denial that their children can get pregnant, or else they're wringing their hands in fear that they might.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting supercarp:

Those of us who would like to see fewer abortions performed in the US support Planned Parenthood.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that the principal should have discussed this with him beforehand so that he wasn't taken so far off guard (and that's assuming that the principal did not -- I don't trust your source to tell an evenhanded account.)

Quoting candlegal:

You are right but he also teaches Math.

It was his class and they had no business in there enrolling students while he was trying to teach.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

It thought it was a computer class?  And they were enrolling students in a health program? 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting meriana:

Good for him. Planned Parenthood should not be allowed to give talks, etc in schools period.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

They weren't in a math class, and it wasn't planned parenthood.

Quoting -beachgal-:

I agree 100%.  

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting meriana:

shuturpiehole
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I feel they did this to him on purpose. No one brings Planned Parenthood into a math class. They could've brought PP to a Health class and it would've been a more appropriate setting.

I think they're trying to make an example of him and it's disgusting.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Even according to OP's source, that's not what happened.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: So it's totally appropriate to interrupt a math class to discuss birth control?

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this

There is no reason for PP, affiliated groups or groups hired by PP to give talks in public schools. Both Washington and Oregon have comprehensive sex education in public schools. Kids are taught about pregnancy, birth control, STD's, etc. PP isn't giving students information they haven't gotten in class, however, a lot of those from PP, etc. do, during their talks, etc., "invite" students to go to them instead of talking to their parents about anything dealing with sex or sexuality. That, IMO, is wrong.

tanyainmizzou
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Quoting MsDenuninani:

Would you kick out workers who came to your computer classroom to help kids sign on to an on-line program that had been previously approved by the principal?

I see an issue with the principal not discussing this with him beforehand, but not really anything else.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

Do you know they weren't being taught in health, gym, or biology?I would have kicked out people who showed up to my English class to sign people up for something. I would especially do it if I didn't know them or their backgeound

Of course I would. They are only allowed to use pencils and scrap paper.

Come on and stop with questions like that when they aren't the same thing remotely.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN