Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Fired After Kicking Planned Parenthood Out of His Class

Posted by   + Show Post

As Planned Parenthood loses the control they’re accustomed to have over government funding and legislation, they may be getting a bit desperate. As they’re known to do, the organization takes to bullying when it gets uncomfortable. The Susan G. Komen saga is one example among many: If you try to stand up to us, they say, we’ll make your life hell. Their latest victim is a computer science teacher. At a high school.

That’s right: Planned Parenthood is after the career and livelihood of a distinguished, highly-qualified, good high school teacher, Bill Diss, who had the audacity to tell Planned Parenthood that they were not allowed in his classroom.

Apparently, Planned Parenthood will rally tooth-and-nail to make sure that ‘hostile forces’ stay out of pro-choice women’s uteri (unless, of course, we’re talking about government funding of contraception), but informing Planned Parenthood that it is not welcome in a classroom is against the rules of the (lopsided) game.

Diss has a history with Planned Parenthood dating to 2007 when he led community opposition to a new Planned Parenthood abortion facility being built in a minority neighborhood in Portland. He raised Planned Parenthood’s ire again when a “health education team” came into his computer science classroom uninvited and attempted to enroll his students in the Health and Human Services’ Teen Outreach Program (TOP).

One of TOP’s goals is to prevent teen pregnancy, and the team who came to enroll Diss’ students (using monetary incentives) was hired by—you guessed it—Planned Parenthood. When Diss – unaware of whether the ‘team’ had been background-checked or had received sex/child abuse certifications – asked Planned Parenthood to leave his classroom.

Read more from this story HERE.

Read more at http://joemiller.us/2013/11/teacher-fired-kicking-planned-parenthood-class/#IzsAwpyBCIEphQEz.99
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
Bonneata
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Why was this teacher not informed a head of time. He could have hired a sub that day, I don't think that is a valid reason to fire a teacher however, I can't disagree with educating kids to prevent unplanned pregnancy in the first place which lead it less abortions. I will never understand these pro lifers stance on birth control. You can't have it both ways folks. 

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Apparently, this teacher found it quite appropriate to discuss these topics in his classes, and even to confront and harrass his students regarding these topics.

That is why he was placed on leave, and ultimatey fired for unprofessional behavior.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/03/benson_high_teacher_claims_dis.html

In one of the suspension letters he provided, officials accuse him of trying to stop students from attending the program because of his religious beliefs, as well as telling students to "shut (their) mouths."

"(Students) also quoted you as saying, 'they would end up on 82nd (Avenue) and that they kill over a million babies every three years,'" according to the letter, which was addressed from Principal Carol Campbell and Frank Scotto, human resources regional director.

The letter included statements from another teacher in the classroom, who said Diss frequently yelled and confronted students. It also told Diss it was inappropriate to discuss chastity, purity, premarital sex, abortion and religion in his math, computer science and study hall classes.

Diss has said there was a misunderstanding about the reference to 82nd Avenue, which is known for prostitution, but admitted to talking about Planned Parenthood and religious beliefs in class. Because he doesn't stop students from expressing their own views, he says, it can be appropriate.

lga1965
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM
True. My college roomie married a Catholic boy and their Priest advised her to take the birth control pill "to regulate her menstrual cycle" and he winked. He was in favor of all BC. This was in 1966. :-)
I see so many posts at CM that insist the only way to plan your family is through Natural Family Planning.
Contradictory and so backward.
With NFP, there needs to be a regular cycle and many days of abstinence. Doesn't sound good. Unless you don't mind abstinence in marriage....Yikes!
These things are hard to understand.

Quoting supercarp:

The Catholic church is "against" it even though most Catholics in developed nations use it. It's a big hypocrisy 

Quoting lga1965: It looks like he shouldn't have had them in his class if he hadn't cleared it with the school. But still, the school doesn't have to go.to.the extremes of firing him.
I would like to know why people are so against birth control iinformation being shared with students ?
And why women are so opposed to using it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Have you ever been in a school? They don't let people off the street just walk into a class and start talking.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Please elaborate

Quoting supercarp:

No, nobody does that. There's more to the story.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Seems this man's character got him in hot water before PP ever came to town.  I don't agree with any one, organization or otherwise, coming in to a math class.  However, this man can't keep his opinions to himself and makes it quite difficult for students.  Yet he wants to shut down others for their opinions.

I can see why he was fired.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Even after all the abstinance and a regular cycle, you can still have a surprise pregnancy. A Catholic friend of mine got pregnant about 6 months before her marriage and decided to have an abortion. She went on to have 3 children and a very happy marriage.

Quoting lga1965: True. My college roomie married a Catholic boy and their Priest advised her to take the birth control pill "to regulate her menstrual cycle" and he winked. He was in favor of all BC. This was in 1966. :-)
I see so many posts at CM that insist the only way to plan your family is through Natural Family Planning.
Contradictory and so backward.
With NFP, there needs to be a regular cycle and many days of abstinence. Doesn't sound good. Unless you don't mind abstinence in marriage....Yikes!
These things are hard to understand.

Quoting supercarp:

The Catholic church is "against" it even though most Catholics in developed nations use it. It's a big hypocrisy 

Quoting lga1965: It looks like he shouldn't have had them in his class if he hadn't cleared it with the school. But still, the school doesn't have to go.to.the extremes of firing him.
I would like to know why people are so against birth control iinformation being shared with students ?
And why women are so opposed to using it?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

TY-

I appreciate honesty and truth.

He admitted to talking about religious beliefs in a Math class- no wonder our students lag so far behind.

His BEHAVIORS warranted termination.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Apparently, this teacher found it quite appropriate to discuss these topics in his classes, and even to confront and harrass his students regarding these topics.

That is why he was placed on leave, and ultimatey fired for unprofessional behavior.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/03/benson_high_teacher_claims_dis.html

In one of the suspension letters he provided, officials accuse him of trying to stop students from attending the program because of his religious beliefs, as well as telling students to "shut (their) mouths."

"(Students) also quoted you as saying, 'they would end up on 82nd (Avenue) and that they kill over a million babies every three years,'" according to the letter, which was addressed from Principal Carol Campbell and Frank Scotto, human resources regional director.

The letter included statements from another teacher in the classroom, who said Diss frequently yelled and confronted students. It also told Diss it was inappropriate to discuss chastity, purity, premarital sex, abortion and religion in his math, computer science and study hall classes.

Diss has said there was a misunderstanding about the reference to 82nd Avenue, which is known for prostitution, but admitted to talking about Planned Parenthood and religious beliefs in class. Because he doesn't stop students from expressing their own views, he says, it can be appropriate.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM

You realize that Planned Parenthood is also about preventing STD's, right?

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Given the additional unbiased accounts, this guy was a wack job that obviously spent a lot of time preaching at his students.  He shouldn't be in a classroom.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting MsDenuninani:

Would you kick out workers who came to your computer classroom to help kids sign on to an on-line program that had been previously approved by the principal?

I see an issue with the principal not discussing this with him beforehand, but not really anything else.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

I don't think that's what I said. If anyone, Planned Parenthood or other, just walks into a class and starts talking, that is crazy. But teens should be taught about birth control and they're not going to get it at home because their parents are in denial that their children can get pregnant, or else they're wringing their hands in fear that they might.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

Those of us who would like to see fewer abortions performed in the US support Planned Parenthood.

Use of birth control = fewer abortions

So anyone should be able to show up in a class because....?

Do you know they weren't being taught in health, gym, or biology?I would have kicked out people who showed up to my English class to sign people up for something. I would especially do it if I didn't know them or their backgeound

Of course I would. They are only allowed to use pencils and scrap paper.

Come on and stop with questions like that when they aren't the same thing remotely.

No, they aren't. . .my question addresses what actually happened, which is clear if you read the actual link in the story OP provided - which is saying something because the link is to LifeNews.com - which means she cut an already biased story in a biased way.

Sorry for the confusion. Seriously, though, didn't the story sound kinda fishy as reported by OP?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)