Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Fired After Kicking Planned Parenthood Out of His Class

Posted by   + Show Post

As Planned Parenthood loses the control they’re accustomed to have over government funding and legislation, they may be getting a bit desperate. As they’re known to do, the organization takes to bullying when it gets uncomfortable. The Susan G. Komen saga is one example among many: If you try to stand up to us, they say, we’ll make your life hell. Their latest victim is a computer science teacher. At a high school.

That’s right: Planned Parenthood is after the career and livelihood of a distinguished, highly-qualified, good high school teacher, Bill Diss, who had the audacity to tell Planned Parenthood that they were not allowed in his classroom.

Apparently, Planned Parenthood will rally tooth-and-nail to make sure that ‘hostile forces’ stay out of pro-choice women’s uteri (unless, of course, we’re talking about government funding of contraception), but informing Planned Parenthood that it is not welcome in a classroom is against the rules of the (lopsided) game.

Diss has a history with Planned Parenthood dating to 2007 when he led community opposition to a new Planned Parenthood abortion facility being built in a minority neighborhood in Portland. He raised Planned Parenthood’s ire again when a “health education team” came into his computer science classroom uninvited and attempted to enroll his students in the Health and Human Services’ Teen Outreach Program (TOP).

One of TOP’s goals is to prevent teen pregnancy, and the team who came to enroll Diss’ students (using monetary incentives) was hired by—you guessed it—Planned Parenthood. When Diss – unaware of whether the ‘team’ had been background-checked or had received sex/child abuse certifications – asked Planned Parenthood to leave his classroom.

Read more from this story HERE.

Read more at http://joemiller.us/2013/11/teacher-fired-kicking-planned-parenthood-class/#IzsAwpyBCIEphQEz.99
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I wonder if he would have thrown them out of the class if they pushed abstinence only and made people sign purity oaths. Just wondering really.
tanyainmizzou
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I asked a question about what a poster stated because I disagree with just showing up in classes to promote or sign people up for something that doesn't relate to the class.

You are the one who went to what if they are signing them up to use the computer.

It wasn't the same thing and we both know it.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting MsDenuninani:

Would you kick out workers who came to your computer classroom to help kids sign on to an on-line program that had been previously approved by the principal?

I see an issue with the principal not discussing this with him beforehand, but not really anything else.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

I don't think that's what I said. If anyone, Planned Parenthood or other, just walks into a class and starts talking, that is crazy. But teens should be taught about birth control and they're not going to get it at home because their parents are in denial that their children can get pregnant, or else they're wringing their hands in fear that they might.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Quoting supercarp:

Those of us who would like to see fewer abortions performed in the US support Planned Parenthood.

Use of birth control = fewer abortions

So anyone should be able to show up in a class because....?

Do you know they weren't being taught in health, gym, or biology?I would have kicked out people who showed up to my English class to sign people up for something. I would especially do it if I didn't know them or their backgeound

Of course I would. They are only allowed to use pencils and scrap paper.Come on and stop with questions like that when they aren't the same thing remotely.

No, they aren't. . .my question addresses what actually happened, which is clear if you read the actual link in the story OP provided - which is saying something because the link is to LifeNews.com - which means she cut an already biased story in a biased way.

Sorry for the confusion. Seriously, though, didn't the story sound kinda fishy as reported by OP?

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM

He is a math, computer, tech teacher, not a health teacher. That is my point. They did not walk into a health class that he was presiding over.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

No workers of Planned Parenthood walked into any math class.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I feel they did this to him on purpose. No one brings Planned Parenthood into a math class. They could've brought PP to a Health class and it would've been a more appropriate setting.

I think they're trying to make an example of him and it's disgusting.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I haven't found anything that states exactly what class it was, so I don't know.

However, if you'll read my other post, you'll see that this teacher regularly discussed - and harrassed - his students on the topics of Planned Parenthood, abortion, and religion in his class.

Which is why he was ultimately fired.

Not because he tried to toss a group affliated with PP out of class.

Quoting AllofFive19:

He is a math, computer, tech teacher, not a health teacher. That is my point. They did not walk into a health class that he was presiding over.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting AllofFive19:

I feel they did this to him on purpose. No one brings Planned Parenthood into a math class. They could've brought PP to a Health class and it would've been a more appropriate setting.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

People do not read-

I agree- he was proselytizing...and admits it-

Actions and consequences.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I haven't found anything that states exactly what class it was, so I don't know.

However, if you'll read my other post, you'll see that this teacher regularly discussed - and harrassed - his students on the topics of Planned Parenthood, abortion, and religion in his class.

Quoting AllofFive19:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting AllofFive19:

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM

If that's true then they had every right to fire him. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting AllofFive19:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting AllofFive19:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Pro-life teacher says he was fired for his beliefs

Pro-life teacher says he was fired for his beliefs

PORTLAND -- A Portland high school teacher, Bill Diss, claims he was fired Monday night because of his stance against abortion.

The Portland Public School District said Diss was terminated because of his conduct in the classroom.

Diss is a computer and electronics teacher as well as a Catholic with strong beliefs. He said his troubles began back in 2007 when he publicly protested against a new Planned Parenthood building in Northeast Portland.

"I think what got me in trouble was they just really didn't like me doing the stuff even on the outside," Diss said.

He said he is experiencing a conspiracy of retribution for his stance against abortion.

"Abortion and purity. I think, well, Planned Parenthood is certainly behind it and I think a lot of people -- administrators -- who work for the school district and members of the board are really, favor Planned Parenthood's policies," he said.

Stacy James, the CEO of Planned Parenthood, Columbia Willamette said, "Planned Parenthood is not involved in school district human resources and disciplinary issues."

The school district denied the firing had anything to do with religious beliefs or freedom of speech.

A statement released Monday read, in part: "The school district takes discipline of all employees seriously. Mr. Diss's conduct and performance led to his removal from the classroom and termination."

At Benson High, Diss got mixed reviews from students. Many students knew of his religious beliefs.

"I heard about it but he never really spoke on it. He was just more of an in-the-moment awkward guy," said Blake Howell, a junior at Benson.

Sophomore Valerie Patton said Diss was her tutorial teacher.

"He was very vocal about his beliefs, he always was. But other than that he was a really good person I think," Patton said.

Now, Diss is vowing to fight his termination. He can't stand the thought of not teaching.

"I just love those kids. I felt they've taken my kids away from me," Diss said

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM

What a loser, claims 'everything changed after 2007' but didn't get a bad review until 2010 and wasnt fired until 2013

Former Portland high school teacher claims he was fired for pro-life views

Former Portland high school teacher claims he was fired for pro-life views »Play Video Former Benson High School math teacher Bill Diss (right) teaches English to a group of Spanish speakers Tuesday at a private tutoring session.

A former Benson High School teacher says he was fired because of his religious beliefs and pro-life views.

Math teacher Bill Diss was put on paid administrative leave in March and was formally fired by Portland Public Schools at a board hearing last night. He believes his termination can be traced back to 2007, when he publicly opposed construction of a new Planned Parenthood headquarters building in Northeast Portland.

"Everything changed," says Diss. 

He described himself as a teacher with great reviews before 2007, but says things took a dramatic shift after the Planned Parenthood protest.

"The review I got in 2010, in every single area, were very negative comments," says Diss. "I was marked down in a whole bunch of areas. I was even marked down for how my classroom looked."

Diss doesn't believe he was doing his job poorly. He believes school leaders deliberately took issue with how he did things because they disagreed with his pro-life stance.

The Portland Public School District wouldn't comment on why Diss was ultimately fired, but they did send us this statement:

"Mr. Diss has said his termination was based on his religious beliefs and his right to free speech. That is not the case. The school district takes discipline of all employees seriously.  Mr. Diss's conduct and performance led to his removal from the classroom and termination.  We appreciate your request for more information however,  state law protects an employee's privacy and does not allow the school district to discuss personnel matters in detail."

At an employment hearing in November, Diss confirms there was district testimony that he intimidated and harassed students and other staff. But Diss denies the claims that he ever disrespected students.

"I don't think so," he says. "I would certainly get after students. I mean, I'm their teacher. It's kind of interesting because administrators before 2007 wrote that I'm very respectful to students. All of a sudden, it just changed."

Diss says there are still ways to appeal his firing within the district. If those attempts fail, he may consider legal action.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM

He didnt' have them in his class. They SHOWED up, univited and without his prior knowledge or approval. What givest them the right to barge into and disrupt his class without him knowing what was going on, who they were, who gave them approval, what qualifications they have etc. 

Quoting lga1965: It looks like he shouldn't have had them in his class if he hadn't cleared it with the school. But still, the school doesn't have to go.to.the extremes of firing him.
I would like to know why people are so against birth control iinformation being shared with students ?
And why women are so opposed to using it?

parentalrights1
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I think as someone who wants a theocracy you need to stfu about anyone else who wants to have "power" altogether because theocracies are the epitome of tyranny and arrogance but I don't know how anyone finds your ass relevant still
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN