Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

US Govt is asking Google to remove political items from searches??

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay well I've always been cynical, but this really takes the cake.

The U.S. ranks #2 behind only TURKEY in asking Google to remove political items/articles.

CafeMom won't let me copy/paste the news story, but you can search it:

"U.S. Government Asks Google to Remove Almost 4,000 Political Items from Search"

The statistics on the top nations are in the article.  

My thoughts:  How annoying!  How can citizens be informed and have informed consent when information is hidden, blocked and censored?

Okay moms, your thoughts?

by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Shenanigans. 

Fushithedruid
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

as i said on a friend's post on FB on this same topic:

nope, not surprised either. tho very low of our gov to dictate what a private company can and cannot show on their page. most of the time, its other pages that link to google, not the other way around (tho i could be wrong)

this is bs, just ugh, so disgusted with how things are becoming. just a mess period.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM
4 moms liked this

Omg you've uncovered a conspiracy!

I wish you were theorizing it, but unfortunately news articles suggest that it's real.

It is my sincere hope and wish that every American grows more gray matter beyond that hypothalamus that's been stuck in arrested development by so much of the dumbing down going on since at least the 70s.

alc4evermom
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

The government doesn't need to hide anything when they can distract you instead, or let media outlets distract you

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
They have always hidden things from us. Nothing new. I think they should leave companies like Google alone.
hockytwndhampyr
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM
This...

Quoting pixie92: They have always hidden things from us. Nothing new. I think they should leave companies like Google alone.
KreatingMe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Very disturbing!

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

The Obama admin doesn't need your consent, and finds it easier to lie when most of the population that is still awake and alert can't find the info to remain informed.

Honestly, the man needs a psych evaluation. He exhibits EVERY sign of paranoia and quite a few isms to boot.

Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM

UNITED STATES

We received inquiries from 20 countries regarding YouTube videos that contain clips of the movie, "Innocence of Muslims": Australia, Bangladesh, Brazil, Brunei, Djibouti, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the United States. Australia, Egypt, and the United States requested that we review the videos to determine if they violated our Community Guidelines, which they did not. The other 17 countries requested that we remove the videos. We restricted videos from view in Indonesia, India, Jordan, Malaysia, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and Turkey. Due to difficult circumstances, we temporarily restricted videos from view in Egypt and Libya.

We received a request from a local government agency to remove a YouTube video that allegedly defamed a school administrator. We did not remove the video.

We received three separate requests from local law enforcement agencies to remove three YouTube videos that allegedly defamed police officers, public prosecutors or contained information about police investigations. We did not remove the videos.

In response to three court orders, we removed 771 items from Google Groups relating to a case of continuous defamation against a man and his family(George Zimmerman??)

We received three different court orders from different individuals that were addressed to third parties, along with a request to remove 690 items from Google Groups, that allegedly contained defamatory statements. We asked for clarification but never received a reply.

We received three court orders from different individuals that were addressed to third parties, along with requests to remove 452 search results that linked to websites that allegedly contain defamatory content. We removed 70 search results that we determined to fall within the scope of the orders.

In response to a court order, we removed 119 search results that linked to websites allegedly hosting trademark infringing material.

http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/government/

Kazoo22
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Quoting pixie92: They have always hidden things from us. Nothing new. I think they should leave companies like Google alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)