Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Embarrassing things I used to think were true

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM
  • 179 Replies
4 moms liked this
I was just having this conversation with my husband so I thought I'd share. I thought:

Jack Nicklaus and Jack Nicholson were the same person. I was amazed that such a great golfer also found the time to be such a great actor.

The song "Secret Agent Man" - I thought they were saying "Secret Asian Man" and it was about a man who was Asian but was trying to pass for a white American. For anyone who doesn't know the song it's about a spy. I always wondered how they could get away with playing such a racist song on the radio.

I thought my father might really be a leprechaun.

All I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I have more embarrassment waiting to come to the surface. Now share yours...
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Bumping while I think

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM
In grade school, no one could convince me that restaurant actually had a "t" at the end. I refused to pronounce it with the t.

This next one, I think I know where my misinformation came about: I live in a tri state area, and have to cross the ohio river to get to the bordering states. I was shocked to find out that different countries were connected by dry land. Learning that getting to Mexico and Canada didn't require crossing over water was hard to swallow:)
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM
10 moms liked this

When I was growing up, I was bff's with my neighbor across the street. She and her family were catholic and I, a Jew, became fascinated with their Sunday ritual. Her family invited me to come, I think I was maybe 8ish. I walked into the church and was immediately scared because I had never seen a crucifix before. The image of a man hanging from a cross by nails and bleeding was terrifying. The day I went, the virgin birth was discussed. That scared me also. So for the next several nights I tossed and turned scared if I was too still while sleeping, I'd get pregnant. Each night ended up with me in bed with my parents. On the last night of my hysteria, I peed in my parents bed...and that is the reason why I wasn't allowed to go to mass with our neighbors anymore.

hemanclub
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I thought the same thing about the Jack and Jack!  And I think I met the real Santa!  When I was a kid. We had a substitute teacher that looked like Santa.  He loved kids and could speak a lot of different languages.  Then my brother and I saw him playing the role of Santa in the mall.  Did I mention we were in High School when we first suspected it:)

SissyMacK
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol!  When you put it that way, Christians do believe some scary stuff!  What about people coming back from the dead? 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

When I was growing up, I was bff's with my neighbor across the street. She and her family were catholic and I, a Jew, became fascinated with their Sunday ritual. Her family invited me to come, I think I was maybe 8ish. I walked into the church and was immediately scared because I had never seen a crucifix before. The image of a man hanging from a cross by nails and bleeding was terrifying. The day I went, the virgin birth was discussed. That scared me also. So for the next several nights I tossed and turned scared if I was too still while sleeping, I'd get pregnant. Each night ended up with me in bed with my parents. On the last night of my hysteria, I peed in my parents bed...and that is the reason why I wasn't allowed to go to mass with our neighbors anymore.

SissyMacK
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I use to believe that if you picked your nose and ate it you would get worms.  My mother told me so. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to think thighs were called "chubbies" because my mom never called them anything but that.  I remember learning at around 6 yo or so that they were actually called "thighs."  lol

RaisinGirl78
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry I lol'd! That is too funny! I love kid logic!

Quoting lizzielouaf:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
That's funny because I thought the Rio Grande ran the entire length between the US and Mexico. I was shocked that countries could be connected by land, also!

Quoting Stephanie329: In grade school, no one could convince me that restaurant actually had a "t" at the end. I refused to pronounce it with the t.

This next one, I think I know where my misinformation came about: I live in a tri state area, and have to cross the ohio river to get to the bordering states. I was shocked to find out that different countries were connected by dry land. Learning that getting to Mexico and Canada didn't require crossing over water was hard to swallow:)
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Oh, that's sad and terrifying.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)