Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man, tot plunge to their deaths from New York City high-rise

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 25 Replies

Man, tot plunge to their deaths from New York City high-rise

In this Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013 photo, New York Police Department officers police walk in front of a high-rise apartment building where they said a 35-year-old man and a child died after plummeting from the building in New York. Julie Walker, AP

NEW YORK - A 35-year-old man and his 3-year-old son plummeted to their deaths from a Manhattan apartment building, police said Sunday as they investigated what led to the tragedy.

Authorities said they received an emergency call reporting two jumpers from the 52-floor building on the Upper West Side around noon. Officers responding to the scene found the man and the child on the rooftops of two separate nearby buildings.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene and the child was pronounced dead at a local hospital, police said.

The circumstances of the fall were unclear.  The Daily News reported the man was holding the child when he jumped, but the New York Post said the man tossed the toddler from a window and then leaped himself. 

Police investigating the deaths left the building in the mid-afternoon to photograph a gray Lexus RX350 parked nearby. Authorities said the father did not appear to live in the building.

The building, listed as South Park Tower, is a short distance away from Columbus Circle and Lincoln Center.

In March, a woman clutching her baby son in her arms plunged eight stories out of a Harlem apartment window to her death, but the 10-month-old survived. Authorities found a suicide note in her home.

by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
This just in:
Bloomberg bans sky-rises.
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM

https://www.facebook.com/dmitriy.kanarikov?ref=ts&fref=ts

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM
This had to have been terrifying for that poor child. If someone is so depressed that they want to commit suicide they need to do it without taking someone else with them.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Was this them?

How very, very sad.  Sends chills through my bones.

melissaAD1125
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Very sad
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Yes. I got his name from the NYPost article.  The same quote is on his page about being a dad.  It sure looks like he loved his son. He apparently was going through a divorce.  

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Was this them?

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

So sad. If he committed suicide, I wish he had done it alone. I wonder why people feel the need to take thier children with them.

RaisinGirl78
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM
What a disturbed & selfish act. His poor mom :/
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting StarburstKisses:

So sad. If he committed suicide, I wish he had done it alone. I wonder why people feel the need to take thier children with them.

To hurt and punish other people.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Yes. I got his name from the NYPost article.  The same quote is on his page about being a dad.  It sure looks like he loved his son. He apparently was going through a divorce.  

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Was this them?

I read where he posted how important it was to him to be a good father, husband.

I just can't imagine................................

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured