Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Surge of holiday packages delays UPS shipments

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:13 AM
  • 36 Replies

Reuters
A UPS delivery man prepares to deliver packages on Christmas Eve in New York

UPS delivery man Vinny Ambrosino prepares to deliver packages on Christmas Eve while wearing a Rudolf …

By Curtis Skinner and Beth Pinsker

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A high volume of holiday packages overwhelmed shipping and logistics company UPS, the company said on Wednesday, delaying the arrival of Christmas presents around the globe and sending angry consumers to social media to vent.

Amazon.com responded with an email to affected customers offering shipping refunds and $20 gift cards to compensate.

A convergence of factors, including higher volume than expected and recent patches of bad weather, caused the delays, UPS spokeswoman Natalie Black said.

The company projected 132 million deliveries last week "and obviously we exceeded that," Black said, without disclosing how many packages had been sent.

"For now, UPS is really focused on delivering the remaining packages," Black said. "You might not see trucks, but people are working."

Customers awaiting deliveries should expect packages on Thursday or Friday and those with delivery guarantees will get appropriate refunds, she said. Amazon.com's email said credits were applied directly to user accounts.

Packages shipped via UPS for Amazon.com by Prime customers, who pay $79 a year for two-day shipping, may be eligible for additional refunds. Amazon's stated policy for missed deliveries is to offer a free one-month extension of Prime.

UPS has not yet coordinated with Amazon, nor has it determined what percentage of the undelivered packages were from Amazon, Black said.

Amazon also did not disclose how many of its shipments were affected or how many users got the email about delayed orders.

"If customers from Amazon were impacted, we'll work with Amazon to resolve that," Black said.

Amazon processed customer orders on time for holiday delivery, company spokeswoman Mary Osako said. "We are reviewing the performance of the delivery carriers," she said.

Frustrated consumers took to social media, with some complaining that gifts purchased for their children would not arrive in time to make it under the tree by Christmas morning.

"Really @UPS would have been better had you delivered our package yesterday like it was scheduled," tweeted a user named Heather Bender, who added the hashtags #UPSFail and #NoSantaGiftForMySon.

"Package was delayed in transit & not received as guaranteed. Disappointed 9 year old," said a Twitter user named Jennifer Marten.

Others on social media urged shoppers to be more appreciative of the delivery company's work during the holiday season.

"While others take vacation and time off in December, remember we aren't allowed ever to be off in December. Ever," Donny Ratcliffe, who identified himself as a UPS driver for the last 20 years, said on the UPS Facebook page.

"So when you see your family and complain that your package is held up, everyone who moves your package is working and doesn't get the Xmas experience you get," he said. "Be thankful for that."

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bergencounty
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this

yep ... FedEx also. UPS just let its customers know sooner, but they sure did deliver a lot of packages on time. Looks like UPS hired a lot of extra people and equipment in anticipation of the rush though.

Guess it's a good thing all the extra holiday shopping. Hope it means we are geared up for a great economy in 2014.

UPS, FedEx run into snags, delay Santa's sleigh for some last-minute shoppers

By Scott Mayerowitz, Published: December 25

NEW YORK - Santa's sleigh didn't make it in time for Christmas for some this year because of shipping problems at UPS and FedEx.

The delays were blamed on poor weather earlier this week in parts of the country as well as overloaded systems. The holiday shopping period this year was shorter than usual, more buying was done online and Americans' tendency to wait until the last possible second to shop probably didn't help either.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Well at least now I know it wasn't just me who did not get a package in time for Christmas, as promised.

I paid a premium for expedited delivery so dd13 would receive the Hero sport video camera before Christmas. The memory card was apparently shipped separately and it arrived as promised on the 24th. But the day came and went and no camera!

I typically use gift cards that I receive a bit earlier for online purchases. But came to find out Target had NONE in stock, online or in store. Not the first time Target's come up empty like that.

So I ordered from Wally. They are usually cheaper, and always have whatever it is in stock. Plus a 32 gig memory card thrown in. And I always get it on time or earlier.

Anyone else not get a package in time, as promised?

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:55 AM
I got all my packages as scheduled with my last packaged received as of Monday, but I would have understood that weather and the rush that delays may occur.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tatiana7
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Mother Nature trumps any holiday delivery. Simmer down to those who are freaking out. Has anyone even SEEN the weather forecasts lately???
April620
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:05 AM
My grandpa shipped a package from the post office that was supposed to be in on Monday but never got here

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Well at least now I know it wasn't just me who did not get a package in time for Christmas, as promised.

I paid a premium for expedited delivery so dd13 would receive the Hero sport video camera before Christmas. The memory card was apparently shipped separately and it arrived as promised on the 24th. But the day came and went and no camera!

I typically use gift cards that I receive a bit earlier for online purchases. But came to find out Target had NONE in stock, online or in store. Not the first time Target's come up empty like that.

So I ordered from Wally. They are usually cheaper, and always have whatever it is in stock. Plus a 32 gig memory card thrown in. And I always get it on time or earlier.

Anyone else not get a package in time, as promised?

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Well, this affected my sister sending my girls gifts but they weren't upset because they just feel lucky to have something to open after Christmas..lol.

i do take exception to the last section though....as a nurse, I have worked Christmas, etc. it's my job. I take exception when people boohoo over doing their job and than tell me to be grateful.

"While others take vacation and time off in December, remember we aren't allowed ever to be off in December. Ever," Donny Ratcliffe, who identified himself as a UPS driver for the last 20 years, said on the UPS Facebook page.

"So when you see your family and complain that your package is held up, everyone who moves your package is working and doesn't get the Xmas experience you get," he said. "Be thankful for that."

Aestas
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM

They're not boohooing simply by pointing it out. I think it's a fair point and they deserve recognition. I'm sure your patients appreciated you being there so that they could get treated.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Well, this affected my sister sending my girls gifts but they weren't upset because they just feel lucky to have something to open after Christmas..lol.

i do take exception to the last section though....as a nurse, I have worked Christmas, etc. it's my job. I take exception when people boohoo over doing their job and than tell me to be grateful.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM

The Post Office is behind too.  I have several customers that haven't received their packages yet.  My boys haven't received their package from my Mom either...it was sent Priority almost 2 weeks ago...the only time it was scanned was when it was shipped.

The weather has been awful all across the country...delays are inevitable.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I am not reading it hat way at all. I have never pointed out to people that I couldn't take off in December or ajanuary and should be grateful. It was my choice to be a nurse. No one should feel grateful for my choice.

Quoting Aestas:

They're not boohooing simply by pointing it out. I think it's a fair point and they deserve recognition. I'm sure your patients appreciated you being there so that they could get treated.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM
5 moms liked this
In TX everyone is behind because of the ice storm. It shut the city down for days so UPS, FedEx, USPS, are all backed up...

It happens.

Don't order last minute and you won't have those issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)