Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have you ever seen family strife turn violent around the holidays?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 23 Replies

Teenager Charged in Mom's Grisly Christmas Eve Murder

by Jeanne Sager

William AydelottThe violent death of a middle school teacher in Florida on Christmas Eve has landed a 17-year-old in police custody, and the baseball player isn't just any student. Police say Sharon Aydelott was murdered by her own teenage son in an altercation on the holiday. William Brandon Aydelott has been charged with premeditated murder after police found a grisly scene at his mother's home.

And I do mean grisly. The descriptions of the Aydelott home will turn your stomach, and it's hard to think of anyone that young having done something this depraved or for something this awful to have happened over the Christmas holiday, of all times.

Police in Gulf Breeze, Florida, say Sharon was found with a kitchen knife sticking out of her eye socket. She'd been beaten with a baseball bat, stabbed multiple times, and her throat had been slashed.

Cops have not released a motive, although the science teacher had reportedly kicked William out of the house recently, indicating there was some family trouble that predated an alleged Christmas Eve argument.

It probably didn't help that emotions always run high at the holidays. As much as we all like to think of this as the happiest season, crime tends to have an up-swing this time of year. Typically it's robberies and burglaries that occur as people leave their homes unattended for longer periods of time or carry large amounts of cash to shop, but domestic incidents often spike this time of year too.

No doubt the stress of the holidays combined with family members who don't necessarily like each other that much getting together is to blame.

Sadly, sometimes it would safer for families to forgo the whole "it's the holidays, we must get together" shtick ... getting together isn't always the best thing when tensions are high.

My heart goes out to the rest of the Aydelott family as they try to pick up the pieces after this holiday tragedy.

Have you ever seen family strife turn violent around the holidays? What do you do with your family for the holiday?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM
No.
Outspoken.Mime
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

No, my life is not a Jerry Springer show.

dixiemama25
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

not in my immidate family but a couple of cousins of mine got into such a bad fight christmas of 2011 the one ending up in jail and one ended up with 172 stitches, 3 broken ribs, fractured pelvis, wrist, and knee cap and the kicked 3 missing teeth

lga1965
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
No, we all have filters and patience.
Thank goodness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

No never

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

so sad :(

our family is mild...

D-Town
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Not in our house but my husband was planning on spending Christmas evening working from home filing reports and catching up on paperwork. Didn't happen. 2 stabbings and a shooting in under an hour.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh hell yea.....I'm Irish.
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I've seen much of OTHER families' "cheer".
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Thankfully, no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)