Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talking to Your 8yo about Homosexuals

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM
  • 159 Replies
11 moms liked this

My DH and I have been close to "Adam" and "Steve" for 20 years. They were there for the birth of both of my daughters and have been wonderful friends. They are my girls' honorary uncles.

We live in another state now and they come to visit once a year. We visit them once a year so we see each other often enough.

This past summer they visited when my oldest DD was 8. She asked me about their relationship for the first time. This is how the conversation went.

DD: Mommy, are Adam and Steve, like, brothers?

Me: No honey, they are a couple that love each other, just like your Dad and me.

DD: Are they married like you and Dad?

Me: No.

DD: Why not?

Me: They live in Texas and in Texas you can only get married if you are a boy and a girl. Texas will not let Adam and Steve get married because they are both boys.

DD: Texas is mean. They should move.

Me: As much as they would like to move to a place they can marry, they have jobs and families in Texas that are important to them. So they stay there. Maybe some day they will be able to get married there.

That was the end of the conversation.

National Woman's Party

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM
How horrible for you. ~
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM
5 moms liked this

You did a great job answering honestly.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
How so? That they see their friends so infrequently? That their friends can't marry?

Quoting jessilin0113: How horrible for you. ~
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Well done, mama. Answered all of her questions without delving into territory she may not be ready for.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Well done. Texas is mean! I think you did fine.

I tend to just describe my partner & i ASD any other couple. We do say that we had a religious wedding, but have had to explain that we can't get married legally in TX.
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
4 moms liked this
It was sarcasm.

Quoting Bookwormy: How so? That they see their friends so infrequently? That their friends can't marry?

Jennyanne322
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM
3 moms liked this
Good job momma!!! I got myself in trouble with a friend because my son was talking about how his two "aunts" are married to each other. We were in the car. His friend starts arguing with my son about only men and women can get married, but not two women or two men. They are 6 and 7. So I stopped their arguing and told his friend that anyone can marry anyone no matter if they are a boy or girl, but they have to be 18 and love the person. His mom wasn't to happy with me and screamed at me on the phone and on text. We live in NYC. It is pretty common here.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Sorry

Quoting jessilin0113: It was sarcasm.

Quoting Bookwormy: How so? That they see their friends so infrequently? That their friends can't marry?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I like your daughter,lol. And I think you handled that very well.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I like that conversation
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured