Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oklahoma bill would require daily Pledge at all elementary schools

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM
  • 163 Replies
3 moms liked this

A daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance would be required in Oklahoma’s public elementary schools under legislation filed in advance of the 2014 legislative session.

The Journal Record reports that the bill provides an exemption for students who do not wish to take part in the pledge. It would also require every public school in the state to own and display a U.S. flag, and suggests that it be recited in other public schools.

The bill, from Republican Sen. Rob Standridge of Norman, is among several pieces of school-related legislation that were filed in December.

A bill by Sen. Eddie Fields, R-Wynona, would require the State Board of Education to adopt revisions to the state’s current English, language arts and mathematics requirements to remove alignment with the K-12 Common Core State Standards. The national standards have drawn opposition, especially from conservative House legislators.

Fields’ bill also would require the state board to take action to initiate a request with the U.S. Department of Education to change the agreement that ties federal funding to the implementation of the Common Core standards.

The standards are part of an initiative of the National Governors Association, which is currently chaired by Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin. They have been adopted in 45 states, including Oklahoma.

Fallin recently signed an executive order in support of the standards in math and English, and she said she hoped the order would ease growing fears that the standards represent a federal takeover of public education.

Separate bills by Rep. Ken Walker, R-Tulsa, and one by Rep. Bobby Cleveland, R-Slaughterville, would allow schools to display religious scenes or symbols, provided the display includes a scene of more than one religion, includes a religious and secular symbol, and relates to a traditional winter celebration.

“(That) display shall not include a message that endorses, favors, disfavors or encourages adherence to a particular religious or nonreligious faith, belief or perspective,” according to the bill.

State lawmakers return to the Capitol on Feb. 3 for the beginning of the 2014 legislative session.

source

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermomtx
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:43 AM
9 moms liked this

what is wrong with having to pledge allegiance every morning. If people hate this country so bad they can leave. period

Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, going to mandate now, are we? 

I predict in the next few decades military service will be mandated.

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Not a thing especially when they have an exemption for students who do not wish to take part.

Quoting supermomtx:

what is wrong with having to pledge allegiance every morning. If people hate this country so bad they can leave. period

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM
16 moms liked this
It is so creepy to legislate nationalism, especially with minors. What freaks. The best patriotism is purely voluntary.
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM
11 moms liked this

So, this backwards state can push this useless bill through, but refuses to even put a bill on the table about requiring tornado shelters in schools, after 8 children died in Plaza Towers Elementary last May in Moore. 

Yep. Sounds about right. Backwards ass-clowns. I thought about registering to vote here, but no. It wouldn't do a lick of good. I learned that lesson the last time we lived here. I'll keep my Washington residency. 

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM
21 moms liked this

Because nothing says "freedom" like forced loyalty oaths, especially those pressed upon people too young to fully understand.  

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Guess they would really be government run indoctrination camps now, right?

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM
They're tackling the really important stuff instead.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

So, this backwards state can push this useless bill through, but refuses to even put a bill on the table about requiring tornado shelters in schools, after 8 children died in Plaza Towers Elementary last May in Moore. 

Yep. Sounds about right. Backwards ass-clowns. I thought about registering to vote here, but no. It wouldn't do a lick of good. I learned that lesson the last time we lived here. I'll keep my Washington residency. 

monkeydavis05
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM

this exactly

Quoting jessilin0113:

Because nothing says "freedom" like forced loyalty oaths, especially those pressed upon people too young to fully understand.  

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM

The school system hasn't been doing that for a long time, lol

Quoting lizmarie1975: They're tackling the really important stuff instead.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)