Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Francis Dumps U.S. Cardinal Who Is Outspoken Critic Of Abortion, Gay Marriage

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM
  • 50 Replies

Some members of the congregation were very conspicuously not retained. Cardinal Raymond Burke, former Archbishop of St. Louis, will no longer serve in the office.

Burke is considered an outspoken critic of abortion and same-sex marriage and a favorite of conservative Catholics. He has also been publicly critical of Francis's changes in the direction of the church. Burke retains his position as the head of the Vatican high court, the Apostolic Signatura.

Burke drew attention in the U.S. in 2004 when he said he would deny Communion to Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, a Roman Catholic who supports abortion rights.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM
I don't know Catholic hierarchy. What exactly does this mean?
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I think this is a good move for the Catholic church. I also suspect many rabidly conservative Catholics may leave Catholicism for more hateful pastures of fundamentalist christian sects.

JTROX
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Quoting LauraKW: I don't know Catholic hierarchy. What exactly does this mean?

The Congregation for Bishops is that Vatican body of cardinals and bishops that oversees the process of selection of candidates to be bishops in Europe, the Americas and Oceania, with the exception of those for the Oriental Churches. The nuncios in different countries send the names of three candidates to the Congregation whenever a diocese needs a new bishop.  The congregation vets the names proposed and then, in a plenary meeting held every two weeks, the more than 30 members of this body vote for the candidates to be bishops in this part of the world.  After the vote has taken place, the Prefect of the Congregation, presents the final result to the Pope and, while he has freedom to choose whom he wishes, he normally approves the first name on the list.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I think this new pope wants to get away from the over focus on the messages so vigorously promoted with the previous pope. I for one (not Catholic, so it doesn't really matter what I think, ultimately, lol) am glad to see the focus on other issues that are important parts of the religion. It is refreshing and his focus is actually more important than the previous over focus on telling others where they are going wrong and more on what Catholics themselves should be doing to follow their religion.
jllcali
by Jane on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM
So basically, this guy got passed over for promotion?

Quoting JTROX:

he Congregation for Bishops is that Vatican body of cardinals and bishops that oversees the process of selection of candidates to be bishops in Europe, the Americas and Oceania, with the exception of those for the Oriental Churches. The nuncios in different countries send the names of three candidates to the Congregation whenever a diocese needs a new bishop.  The congregation vets the names proposed and then, in a plenary meeting held every two weeks, the more than 30 members of this body vote for the candidates to be bishops in this part of the world.  After the vote has taken place, the Prefect of the Congregation, presents the final result to the Pope and, while he has freedom to choose whom he wishes, he normally approves the first name on the list.

JTROX
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

No.  He was already part of the Congregation for Bishops.  Pope Francis choose to replace him from this office.  I guess you could say it was more of a demotion.

Quoting jllcali: So basically, this guy got passed over for promotion?

Quoting JTROX:

he Congregation for Bishops is that Vatican body of cardinals and bishops that oversees the process of selection of candidates to be bishops in Europe, the Americas and Oceania, with the exception of those for the Oriental Churches. The nuncios in different countries send the names of three candidates to the Congregation whenever a diocese needs a new bishop.  The congregation vets the names proposed and then, in a plenary meeting held every two weeks, the more than 30 members of this body vote for the candidates to be bishops in this part of the world.  After the vote has taken place, the Prefect of the Congregation, presents the final result to the Pope and, while he has freedom to choose whom he wishes, he normally approves the first name on the list.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Where's AlekD? I want to know what she thinks.

jllcali
by Jane on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks.

Quoting JTROX:

No.  He was already part of the Congregation for Bishops.  Pope Francis choose to replace him from this office.  I guess you could say it was more of a demotion.

Quoting jllcali: So basically, this guy got passed over for promotion?

Quoting JTROX:

jllcali
by Jane on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I wonder when people are going to rally behind this priest because his freedom of speech was violated.
AlekD
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM
3 moms liked this
My thoughts are that all cardinals are critics of abortion and gay marriage. It is written into the doctrines of the Church. That a cardinal who happened to be more outspoken about these issues was basically demoted (not dumped..) doesn't mean very much and certainly doesn't mean that the church is on the brink of reversing thousands of years of unbroken tradition, like the secular media would lead people to believe.

Quoting Aestas:

Where's AlekD? I want to know what she thinks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN