Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A basic income for the U.S.

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 51 Replies

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/12/27/should-we-have-a-basic-income-in-the-us/

I'm conservative, as is my husband. We actually have no real problem with this idea, provided it means eliminating most social welfare programs (food stamps, housing, medicaid, etc); it would be cheaper in the long run, we could shut down several agencies and the overhead that they bring, throw in some money management classes, etc.

Thoughts?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
What happens to all the people that work for these agencies?
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I had the same question. I'm not sure. Let's be frank, though - if this stipend weren't means tested, then those people would receive that much, at least, and I know (having family that work in social services) that their income rarely exceeds that amount regardless.

It's a great question though. Obviously there would be a negative in any possible solution to reform social welfare - this is the negative to this possible solution.

Quoting EireLass: What happens to all the people that work for these agencies?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it's hilariously naive.

The point of government is, essentially, to club together the interests of the populace and provide the services to those who need them using the wealth of all (because making individuals pay for the fire crews is ... the kind of thing that ends up with smoking ruins of entire neighbourhoods) ... NOT to pay everyone anything.

I'll never understand the idea that your neighbour should pay you to do your own work. I never have.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Interesting idea. I do think though, that if this were instituted without a minimum wage, a great many people would find that jobs no longer pay more than a few dollars per hour after all the less one pays their workers, the larger the profit. They would also have to make sure companies actually pay their Federal taxes, many  multi-million and billion dollar companies are able to zero out that obligation a good part of the time, at times even getting a refund

greenie63
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I saw this yesterday and almost posted it here. I think it's possible, however the amount is less than Switzerland has allocated, I think the article said it would be the average Soc Sec amount around $1200 per month. I think the world is going to watch Switzerland for awhile and see if it works. 

Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Interesting.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM
6 moms liked this

So we continue to pay people to do nothing and just call it something different.

jllcali
by Jane on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM
5 moms liked this
I think a better idea would be to make minimum wage a livable wage and stop allowing companies to profit off of extremely cheap labor overseas at the expense of the country.

Please note I said livable wage, and by that I mean able to have basic needs like a functional roof over their heads, food, functional clothing, transportation access etc. Minimum wage used to meet basic needs. (before my time though)
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Brazil gives grants to people who need it, so long as they prove they need it.  Cheaper than multiple bureaucracies!

We need smaller government and a larger private sector. 

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Why would anyone work?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN