Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O What IF atheism overtook religion?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 311 Replies
2 moms liked this
This is a spin-off from the other thread on atheism replacing religion, which is still active. I don't think that will ever happen in its entirety, but what if atheism did overtake religion as a majority? It is obvious from the other thread that a great many believers have enormous issues with this prospect. Why? As long as you are still free to practice your religion, whatever that may be, what does it matter?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babie113
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I dont know why it makes religion's feel threatened .tbh it seems our very existence as it is now does too.I guess they dont want to acknowledge that some people dont believe.
Chaos1229
by Tasha on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Idk I'm Pagan whether or not someone chooses to believe in a higher power doesn't bother me in the slightest .

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I don't think it's unlikely that it will eventually.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM
6 moms liked this
You'd think they'd want that so their claims of persecution would be valid. They could act as martyrs!
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shannonnigans:

what if atheism did overtake religion as a majority?

I think we'd find that the people who tended to be intolerant when they were religious, would still be intolerant even after they stopped being religious.

You can't extrapolate from the current atheist community, to what it would be like, because the 'culture' of the atheist 'community' (such as it is), is shaped by different forces and populated by different people.

It would be like someone in 1950, when computers were mainly operated by highly educated and intelligent people, predicting that if the world changed in (say, in the year 2010), in such a way that more than 50% of the population of the USA used computers, that would imply that the population of the USA would be more intelligent and educated. 

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM
That's a valid point and perhaps the inquiry should focus more on the religious being a minority rather than atheists being a majority. Is this a matter of intolerance? Do they actually believe in a resultant breakdown of society? Clearly there is a real fear there.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting shannonnigans:

what if atheism did overtake religion as a majority?

I think we'd find that the people who tended to be intolerant when they were religious, would still be intolerant even after they stopped being religious.

You can't extrapolate from the current atheist community, to what it would be like, because the 'culture' of the atheist 'community' (such as it is), is shaped by different forces and populated by different people.

It would be like someone in 1950, when computers were mainly operated by highly educated and intelligent people, predicting that if the world changed in (say, in the year 2010), in such a way that more than 50% of the population of the USA used computers, that would imply that the population of the USA would be more intelligent and educated. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This is what the Bible says will happen.  As a Christian I am not happy about it, but the only fear I have in my life at this moment is that I won't get all these new orders out in a timely manner.  I am short staffed.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I'm not following - what does the bible say is going to happen? That religion will take a minority position?
What does it matter?

And if one is religiously inclined, and the bible says it's going to happen, then the logical inference would be that it is supposed to happen. So why are you unhappy?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

This is what the Bible says will happen.  As a Christian I am not happy about it, but the only fear I have in my life at this moment is that I won't get all these new orders out in a timely manner.  I am short staffed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm Catholic and I certainly don't feel threatened. Lol. I'm secure in my religious identity, and never fear it being taken away.  That's not possible.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as I am free to worship and not forced to violate my beliefs I don't really care what the majority believes. I mean, I CARE, but I realize that its beyond my control.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN