Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Here is a WWYD.....your working teen and paying for gas. *EDITED*

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM
  • 666 Replies
5 moms liked this

Your son/daughter is 16 and working part time.  For what ever reason, they do not have their license as of yet.  You take them to and from work.

Now, if they want to go hang out with friends, do what ever, where ever......do you charge them for gas?

This is an on going 'debate' a friend is having with some others.

I simply explained that when my kids were not yet driving yet working, they did indeed pay for gas if they wanted me to take them here or there or every where, outside of work.  It was a reduced rate but they had to pay something.

Another mom said the same.

We were hit with how selfish we are, why would we do that to our kids?  Let them be kids, there is time later on, when they are older (talking 17/18) to learn personal responsibility. It's the first job, allow them to use THEIR money as they so choose.

I admit, I was some what taken aback.  No wonder so many teens are little self entitled brats.

So, have you, would you.................

***EDITED TO ADD: I don't appreciate CM renaming this post that indicates nothing at all as to what this post is about.  There is no mention of paying your parents back.

Great job there CM.

**EDITED AGAIN***

Good change CM.

by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tossed
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM
5 moms liked this

I have 2 kids in their 20s. I did not charge them gas for anything before they were 18. The only reason I have since they turned 18 is that I could not afford additional car insurance for my son and his school schedule was brutal with all of his coursework and clinicals. I had to take him to and from and some of the clinical sites are over 50 miles away. He paid for our gas and more. As a teen, I would encourage them to put money back for their first year of college. I would not charge them for gas. 

AJsMom81507
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM
26 moms liked this

even when i was driving, i never had to pay for gas... my parent did until i moved out on my own.  i am not an entitled brat.

Della529
by Matlock on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:47 PM
15 moms liked this

My middle son has a small firewood business.  He "rents" me and my vehicle for making deliveries.  It's the cost of doing business.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM
4 moms liked this

.  BINGO!!! That mom needs to get a clue. 

Quote:

No wonder so many teens are little self entitled brats.

baquick
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM
8 moms liked this
I didn't pay for gas until I had my own vehicle. Then again, I didn't work until I had a vehicle.
tanyainmizzou
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I wouldn't.  But I have been putting away money for blowing on stuff since my son was a week old.

I don't think it is bad to do this though.   I just think it is part of my job as a parent when my son isn't old to drive but is old enough to earn money.

thenameshailie
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I hadnt thought about it yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM
6 moms liked this

No I never did charge them but I don't think you are wrong for doing so. There is nothing wrong with a kid kicking in some $. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM
24 moms liked this

Really?

When my daughter was working PT and still in high school, she paid a few bucks for gas when she wanted a ride to the mall, a friend's house, where ever.  She was still able to save her money.  

When she got her license and her first car, she paid for gas, insurance (the difference) and repairs.  

Guess I am a mean mom.

tanyainmizzou
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you are mean.  It just isn't something I would do.

Then again, I only pay my son 25 cents to bring his basket to the laundry room and take it back up when his clothes are clean and folded.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Really?

When my daughter was working PT and still in high school, she paid a few bucks for gas when she wanted a ride to the mall, a friend's house, where ever.  She was still able to save her money.  

When she got her license and her first car, she paid for gas, insurance (the difference) and repairs.  

Guess I am a mean mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)