Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Atheist Billboard in Salt Lake City Features Ex-Mormon Family: ‘We’re Atheists’

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM
  • 73 Replies
1 mom liked this

A new billboard launched by American Atheists this week to advertise their upcoming convention in Salt Lake City hits the residents where it hurts.

The ad features parents West and Lennie Monnett along with their two sons and niece (of whom they’re guardians) — declaring that they’re not Mormons and not just “ex-Mormons”; they’re atheists:

“Many atheists still call themselves Mormons or ex-Mormons,” [AA President David] Silverman continued. “Our message is this: If you don’t believe anymore, you don’t have to continue to base your identity in Mormonism. You’re not an ‘ex-Mormon’; you’re an atheist, and you are very far from alone. You should be proud to be an atheist — we are. We want to celebrate being an atheist with you.”

The billboard could use a little more clarity since it’s unclear whether just the parents are Mormons-turned-atheists or if the kids, too, left the faith at some point as well. But, you know, it’s a road sign. Not a lot of room for nuance.

So far, I have yet to see any backlash against the ad. Which is exactly as it should be, as the billboard doesn’t even denigrate Mormonism. All it does is show people — plenty of current Mormons included — that there are those who left the religion and are doing just fine. So if you’re worried that leaving Mormonism cannot possibly end well, think again.

I absolutely love these billboards featuring real people from the community, declaring their atheism proudly and with smiles on their faces. More of this please.

American Atheists said in a press release that when they were looking for families to use for this ad, they were “overwhelmed with responses.” No reason they can’t use a few more of them in ads before the April convention…

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/12/29/atheist-billboard-in-salt-lake-city-features-ex-mormon-family-were-atheists/

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM
So? And Atheists find Jesus, too. What's your point?
AlekD
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
On the one hand, it is probably good in an environment such as salt lake city for non-Mormons to be able to gettogether and support each other, since I don't doubt that it would be a challenge to be anything but mormon there.

On the other hand, I do pray that they restore their faith in the Lord at some point. (I know, I am an evil evil woman.)
VooDooB
by The Corruptor on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember a month ago a bunch of people getting in a tizzy over a pro-life billoard. But I'm guessing this one is probably fine.

Personally I think billboards are stupid eyesores no matter what you believe. I wish they'd all go away.

rfurlongg
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Like so many 'religions' atheism seems to be becoming a business. Billboard questioning others faiths and trying to recruit seems to fall in line with business models. I wish faith (or lack there of) was a private matter and not plastered on billboards.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
This ad makes me uncomfortable. It does appear to thumb its nose at LDS. I don't see the point in doing that honestly. Advertise without insult if you hope to keep peace.
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bookwormy: This ad makes me uncomfortable. It does appear to thumb its nose at LDS. I don't see the point in doing that honestly. Advertise without insult if you hope to keep peace.

Where is the insult?  I have looked repeatedly and can't find it.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rfurlongg: Like so many 'religions' atheism seems to be becoming a business. Billboard questioning others faiths and trying to recruit seems to fall in line with business models. I wish faith (or lack there of) was a private matter and not plastered on billboards.

Atheism isn't a religion or a business.

That there are atheist groups who reach out to other atheists does not change that fact.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Quoting VooDooB:

I remember a month ago a bunch of people getting in a tizzy over a pro-life billoard. But I'm guessing this one is probably fine.

Personally I think billboards are stupid eyesores no matter what you believe. I wish they'd all go away.

I totally agree with this!

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Sometimes also there is more than faith our lack thereof involved. There is more to being Jewish than just faith for instance. That may be true for LDS as well.
LadyAmaranth
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I'm not a fan of billboards in general but, to each their own.

You've got those God billboards and various religious ones so why not.

I'm ex-Mormon too so it's nice to see others who've left and are happy. Although I'm not atheist nor Christian.

~Amaranth Dhanya~

Mama to 3 Joyfully Chaotic boys

Widow to my Crazy Chicken(4-8-13)....Always My Love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)