Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adam Lanza’s Disturbing 5th Grade Writings: I Like Hurting People, Especially Children

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM
  • 5 Replies

Adam Lanza’s Disturbing 5th Grade Writings: I Like Hurting People, Especially Children

article image

Newtown school shooter Adam Lanza made such disturbing drawings and wrote graphic essays in school that one of his teachers reported him to the principal.

Prosecutors shared pictures the 20-year-old drew back in 5th grade that prominently featured a murderous grandmother with a “rifle cane.”

At some point in the drawings, Granny uses the cane to gun down the Beatles, a hockey player and an entire Marine battalion.

He gives detailed description of Granny’s other weapons including a handgun, an AK-47, an M-16, a musket, a shotgun, and a rocket launcher.

He also wrote obsessively, in particular a series of 10-page essays on “battles, destruction and war.”

“Adam’s creative writing was so graphic that it could not be shared,” a teacher said in a sworn, written statement three weeks after the Dec. 14, 2012, massacre at Sandy Hook.

One of the characters in Lanza’s “Big Book of Granny” says, “I like hurting people … especially children.”

In a series he called “Granny’s Clubhouse of Happy Children” a character suggests they play a game of “hide and go die.”

“Hi! I’m Bobolicious the Explorer,” the character says, “Remember last time when everyone was slaughtered? Well . . . you bread-brain leeches gave me 75 years of prison for that so-called ‘Tragedy’! I was having fun!”

In one section, his homicidal characters visit a day care center.

“Let’s hurt children,” says a character dubbed Dora the Beserker.

“Adam’s level of violence was disturbing,” the teacher said. “I remember showing it to the principal at the time … I remember instructing Adam that he had to write something else to share with the class.”

At the end of that school year, Lanza would be abruptly pulled out of school.

“After my years of experience in teaching . . . boys, I know how they are supposed to act,” the teacher said. “But I saw Adam as being not normal with very distinct anti-social issues.”

She recalled seeing officers confront his brother Ryan Lanza on the news after the shooting.

“When I was watching the news about the Sandy Hook school incident and saw Ryan Lanza in handcuffs, I knew it would be Adam and not Ryan,” she wrote.

Investigators uncovered other compositions in Lanza’s home. One screenplay on his hard drive titled “Lovebound” was about a relationship between a 10-year-old boy and a 30-year-old man.

Another document titled “tomorrow” contained the 6-foot 112-pound Lanza’s personal goals, including staying thin.

Sources: New York Daily News, ABC News

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
fanciepantz
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM
O.o i always wonder how the parents could just ignore disturbing behavior like that.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Quoting fanciepantz: O.o i always wonder how the parents could just ignore disturbing behavior like that.

His parents were divorced, right? I'm not sure when that happened but I can see how that may have affected his mental health and how his parents may have either not noticed how crazy he was if his time was split between them or they ignored the signs out of guilt or maybe they just didn't give a shit about him.

The whole thing is a damn shame. This kid clearly had mental problem and a love for violence from a young age and although people outside of his family brought it up, nothing was really ever done about it.

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I think that it is sad that this is happening. I think it is sad that our "need to know everything", talks about this person after this horrific tragedy. We will never know what happened. We will never know why things were not done. All this does is ask more, and I can see this getting nasty towards his father and brother.
I just hope that it doesn't he nasty and people take a look at out mental health system again, and make sure that out mentally ill are taken care of.
Della529
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Well, sometimes parents just think there is nothing at all wrong with that kind of behaviour.  It's a "Boys will be boys" reaction in some cases.

Seasidegirl
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM

So Mama buys him weapons. Yah.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)