• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PolitiFact Fail?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this
December 12, the self-appointed guardians of truth and justice at PolitiFact named President Obama’s infamous promise—that “if you like your health care plan, you can keep it”—its 2013 “Lie of the Year.” An understandable choice. But in its article detailing why the President’s promise was a lie, PolitiFact neglected to mention an essential detail. In 2008, at a critical point in the presidential campaign, PolitiFact rated the “keep your plan” promise as “True.” The whole episode, and PolitiFact’s misleading behavior throughout, tells us a lot about the troubled state of “fact-checking” journalism.

www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/12/27/in-2008-politifacts-2013-lie-of-the-year-that-you-could-keep-your-health-plan-under-obamacare-it-rated-true/
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Bump

yourspecialkid
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I think the last election proved you often need fact checkers for the fact checkers.

MelanieJK
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not PolitiFact it's PolitiOpinion.    I find it best to ignore their conclusions altogether and filter through their assessments for any facts (or suggestions thereof)  that might be worth researching further.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Exactly...

Quoting MelanieJK:

It's not PolitiFact it's PolitiOpinion.    I find it best to ignore their conclusions altogether and filter through their assessments for any facts (or suggestions thereof)  that might be worth researching further.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)