Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This Ad From India Shows Men Exactly How Creepy They Are When They Stare At Women On The Street

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 18 Replies

Quote:

This Ad From India Shows Men Exactly How Creepy They Are When They Stare At Women On The Street

If you're a woman and have been in a public place, chances are you've been the recipient of an unwanted leer or stare from a guy. Sometimes the staring turns into more. One year after Nirbhaya, a young girl in Delhi, was brutally raped on a bus, this Mumbai film school released a video highlighting the harassment and unwanted attention women face while just trying to go about their day. It's meant to start a conversation about what empowerment for women looks like.

This problem isn't unique to India, but it's definitely a place to start the conversation.

Please click on the link to watch the ad:

http://www.upworthy.com/this-ad-from-india-shows-men-exactly-how-creepy-they-are-when-they-stare-at-women-on-the-street

But aren't at least some of the women at least partially responsible for the male attention they are receiving?  What about the woman with the "tramp stamp" tattoo?

What do you think?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM

P.S.  I am not talking about rape at all, just about the male gaze.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM

If your ass is hanging out, then you pretty much have to expect people to look at it. 

However, I think the one where the woman is fully covered - including a head covering - and the guy is still staring like she's a piece of meat, that is telling. Men *can* be creepy in how they stare. But then again, so can some women.

ihave1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Men will stare no matter what.   

Quoting futureshock:

P.S.  I am not talking about rape at all, just about the male gaze.

Bonnie_
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this

So a tattoo  on the lower  back   just because  people refer  to it as a

tramp stamp'  makes her a tramp?  How so?  My DD  has  one  and she is a virgin.   So  how is she a tramp?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM

staring is always going to happen....taking it to another level is the responsibility of the starer.

Maybe this will help (the advert)  Somehow I dont think so....a leering jerk would just stare at themselves and adjust their hairdo.  These men they are showing are more likely men who would never take it further than their stare.

I look at men when they have their top off and appreciate the male form....Im not going to take it to another level.  I dont need an advert to tell me to respect someones space and body.

viv212
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM
It's not an ALL people who have tramp stamps are stamps... But come on. Even gay guys have them. Sorry to hear she has that. It is just a "negative" connotation.

Quoting Bonnie_:

So a tattoo  on the lower  back   just because  people refer  to it as a

tramp stamp'  makes her a tramp?  How so?  My DD  has  one  and she is a virgin.   So  how is she a tramp?

Seasidegirl
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM

There's a difference between looking and gawking rudely. I can't believe India is more progressive than the US when it comes to this (ad). 

I think it's great. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I liked it.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM

That was great.

Men have always done this and they always will.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:37 PM

You don't have to have any thing hanging down or out for men to stare, that is evident in this video.

When, or if, you do, they are not going to go unnoticed.

Even women stare at other women.  Men at other men, although most would deny it.

When that stare turns in to a leer or a gesture, or something else, then you need to knock the guy out.  lol

It can indeed give you a creepy feeling at times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)