Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Utah Asks U.S. Supreme Court To Stop Gay Marriages

Posted by   + Show Post

Utah Asks U.S. Supreme Court To Stop Gay Marriages

Utah's attorney general has filed a request with the U.S. Supreme Court for a stay that would allow the state to enforce its limit of marriage to a union between a man and a woman.

Similar requests have already been rejected by district and circuit courts. Earlier this month, a federal district court invalidated Utah's ban on gay marriage that was endorsed by voters in 2004, saying it is not constitutional.

In the week that followed, more than 900 wedding licenses were issued to gay and lesbian couples, Huffington Post reports, more than 70 percent of the total granted.

"As a result of the district court's injunction, numerous same-sex marriages are now occurring every day in Utah," Attorney General Sean Reyes wrote in a request that was filed on behalf of himself and Gov. Gary Herbert. "And each one is an affront not only to the interests of the State and its citizens in being able to define marriage through ordinary democratic channels ... but also to this Court's unique role as final arbiter of the profoundly important constitutional question that is so carefully preserved in Windsor."

Windsor, you'll recall, refers to Edith Windsor, whose case was the impetus for the Supreme Court to declare part of the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional this past June.

Utah's request was officially filed Tuesday, asking Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who is assigned emergency requests from that section of the United States, to grant a delay pending an appeal.

After receiving the request, Sotomayor "called for a response due by noon E.S.T. on Friday, January 3, 2014," according to a statement from the Supreme Court's press office that was forwarded to us by our colleague Carrie Johnson.

In citing the state's reasons for seeking a stay, the Utah officials wrote that without one, "there is a likelihood — indeed, a certainty — of irreparable harm."

The attorney general wrote that "this case involves not just a refusal by the federal government to accommodate a State's definition of marriage, but an outright abrogation of such a definition — by a single federal court wielding a federal injunction and acting under the banner of the federal Constitution."

The Utah officials' filing is 25 pages long, not counting its inclusion of earlier rulings. It cites 42 other court cases, several parts of the U.S. Constitution, and other authorities ranging from reports on same-sex households to the 1974 book Paternal Deprivation and the 1796 farewell address of George Washington.

National Woman's Party

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Replies (51-57):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM
You stated nothing resembling fact.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

So because I've stated a fact, which has also been claimed by numerous Muslims and Imams, I'm now a bigot?  Whatever.  Maybe you should talk to one of my best friends, a Muslim.  You can tell her that I'm a bigot against her religion and she'll laugh in your face.  

Quoting Arroree:

Nothing like a little anti-Muslim bigotry to end your evening...

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I'm aware of that. I was just pointing out that it's the Muslims who want everyone to believe as they do and not the Mormons....at least not the Mormons that I personally know.  Anyway, I was just adding my two cents to the conversation between pixie92 and Iga1965.

Quoting Sisteract:

We're talking about the USA and UT, in particular...not theocracies around the world. 

Which we can not control via our legal system- Sigh.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Personally I think it's actually Muslims who want the whole world to believe as they do.  I have a best friend from High School who is Mormon and she has never said anything to me about wanting the whole world to be Mormon.  She doesn't even try to convince me to change and become Mormon.

Quoting pixie92: If their religion or rules became world wide that would mean our laws would be of their. church rules. My family and people I know have served their missions and still have never heard it worded like you have worded it. They believe their church is the one true church, go figure cause all christian churches seem to believe this, and that their mission is to try and teach the word of God and give people a choice, again the same as most Christians. Oh and I have done a whole lot more then just read some literature.

Quoting lga1965:

Did I say  anything about LAWS? No, I didn't.

Please read the replies here by all of us more carefully. I said they would like their church's  rules and beliefs and religion adopted by everyone in the world because they believe their's is the "only true church".

First you said "mormons you know". Now you're saying half your family are mormon. I have READ literature they sent me published by the church that says exactly what I said.

I am really sure you just want to disagree here,for some reason. a hobby?

Geeeeeze, it is so frustrating posting at CM when things written are misinterpreted.  READ carefully,please.

Quoting pixie92: Half my family is Mormon, worked in the temple and everything. Not once have any of them or their fellow church goers said they want their ways as law. Also your two family members is not the Mormons saying it that's a few Mormons stating that.

Quoting lga1965:

I have close relatives in Salt Lake City ( brother and family) and, trust me when I say they're totally in favor of everyone joining up with them because they are "the chosen". The "only true church".The people you only know....they won't tell you that.

Quoting pixie92: When did the Mormons say that? I know many many Mormons that don't say that, so I'm wondering when that changed for them.

Quoting lga1965:

Oh my.

Maybe Utah could secede?

The Mormons have said they want their religion/rules become worldwide.Grrrrreat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Civil rights shouldn't be up for vote anyway.
I think Utah is a good example of this.

Quoting pixie92: I am totally happy with gay marriage being legal!! I also say by default at the moment and hopefully for good gay marriage is legal in Utah. I see no reason two grown consenting adults can't get married. I have a gay cousin and friends that should be able to be as happily married or divorced as anyone else.

Quoting NWP:

How do you feel about this law? Does this seem to legalize gay marraige in Utah by default? 

Quoting pixie92: Half my family is Mormon, worked in the temple and everything. Not once have any of them or their fellow church goers said they want their ways as law. Also your two family members is not the Mormons saying it that's a few Mormons stating that.

Quoting lga1965:

I have close relatives in Salt Lake City ( brother and family) and, trust me when I say they're totally in favor of everyone joining up with them because they are "the chosen". The "only true church".The people you only know....they won't tell you that.

Quoting pixie92: When did the Mormons say that? I know many many Mormons that don't say that, so I'm wondering when that changed for them.

Quoting lga1965:

Oh my.

Maybe Utah could secede?

The Mormons have said they want their religion/rules become worldwide.Grrrrreat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Political pandering.

They have no hope of stopping this.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I don't understand WHY Utah is doing this.  The Supreme Court already said the federal DOMAS law was unconstitutional.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Let's not blur the lines here.

Christians in the US are not persecuted.

Some Christians living in theocracies are.

Some Muslim leaders in theocracies are responsible for persecution of Christians and other religious groups.

Devout Muslims in the US are not responsible for persecution of Christians or other religious groups.

Clear enough? very different conditions in different places, all perpetrated by different types/groups of people.

Probably best not to own the problems of others; act is if they apply to you, if they do not.

Probably best to assign guilt to the truly guilty, and not to others with tangential relationships.

I doubt many US Christians would want to own the faults of Westboro-

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Quoting nixore:

And in this particular case, it doesn't matter what the rest of the state wants, because civil rights shouldn't be voted upon.

Quoting candlegal:

In 2004 The voters in the state voted by a majority to keep marriage between one man and one woman.  An activist judge has decided that is not fair and gays should be able to be married.  It did not backfire, but a judicial activist has said it doesn't matter what the people want. 

Quoting NWP:

I have to say that I haven't really been following this case with the holidays and all....so help me understand this....As I am seeing it, Utah tried to limit the definition of marriage and it backfired so now, by default, gays and lesbians can marry in Utah...

Is that right?

Exactly.  Unfortunately some people do not understand this concept. 

If civil rights were voted on they would not have passed.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Civil rights don't get a vote. Sorry. Of course they have to spend a couple million on their bigoted agenda. Not like our damn school systems could use the money or anything.
buttersworth
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Issues of this caliber should really be left to the States. The Constitution points to the supremacy of state power, especially when an issue is divisive.

I don't know what the big deal is.

Let the States decided - representatives legislating on behalf of their constituents - whether they'll have legal gay marriage, and that should stop the controversy right there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured